Notices

Scared to go to A.A.!

Old 06-03-2008, 06:02 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Scared to go to A.A.!

I'm seriously thinking about going to an A.A. meeting. But I'm scared...for a lot of reasons. I'm still drinking, so I would feel hypocritical being there. Also, I just feel so much panic when I just think about walking through the door. I'm normally a very outgoing person, but even the idea gives me knots in my stomach. Suggestions?
Old 06-03-2008, 06:06 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Go. LOL.

No sense in being scared of something you haven't experienced.
As far as I know, they don't lock the exits

D
Old 06-03-2008, 06:18 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Wishing I could be good!

You know what? I feel the same way as you do only because I do not know anyone. I am pretty outgoing though. I am shy though until I get to know you and then you cannot shut me up. I still drink too but I do not drink during the week so I am not drinking now. Do you maybe have someone that you could take with you the first time? I do not know how that works though. I have a friend and my boyfriend who I would hope would go with me if it were on a weekend but more than likely I would go alone. I think that I am going to go though. I really need to bad. Are you in Oklahoma? I will go with you. :bounce
Old 06-03-2008, 06:20 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
We Do Recover

Maybe go to an open speaker meeting for a first meeting, where you will hear one person share his/her story. No one else will be talking, plus everybody will be looking at the speaker. (Just a thought....also while there pick up a list of meetings there and try to make it to a newcomers meeting at another time.) Don't be afraid to go if you are still drinking....people there will understand. They were there too once. :ghug3
Old 06-03-2008, 06:25 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks guys. I know I'm being a baby. But I just get this "WAAAA! I DON'T WANNA GOOOO!" feeling. Even though I know I should go. You're right, Dee. They don't lock the exits.
Thanks for the suggestion about going on an open speaker night, Angelina. I'm gonna look into that.
Greeneyes, I'm not in Oklahoma-although I was in the show in high school :ghug2
Otherwise, I'd totally go with you! Best of luck.
Old 06-03-2008, 06:29 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Wishing I could be good!

AWWWWW! That would be great. Yep. I noticed that you were in NY after I had posted that. Don't worry. I am the type who gets knots in my stomach over small stuff too but we will both be fine. When you go tell me how it was and I will let you know too. Good luck to you!
Old 06-03-2008, 06:35 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Here is an interesting link about what to expect from AA meetings.

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...-about-aa.html

I did go with a friend to my first meeting.

I also left before it was over.
Old 06-03-2008, 07:35 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Here is a great link on your first AA meeting:

Your First AA Meeting

Don't worry if you are still drinking, the only requirement for AA membership is a desire to stop drinking.
Old 06-03-2008, 08:11 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

That's like saying, "I'm not comfortable going to church...while I'm still a sinner". I'm guessing you won't be the only one in the meeting struggling. Just come with a desire to get well.
Old 06-03-2008, 08:16 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Although AA is not my program of choice, the people that do attend are generally good and kind folks...some of them are very good friends of mine.

You are only new once!

Seren
Old 06-03-2008, 08:24 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

In my area and I assume all others, there are open and closed meetings. I recommend an open meeting. That means you don't have to claim to be an alcoholic or anything else.

You could just be observing. At the club I go to observers are welcome very much. The other night we had three young nursing students and the meeting went on as normal.

You will find people at meetings are like people on this forum, service oriented and willing to share their ES&H. Just keep an open mind and remember, if you are an alcoholic, you have alot to offer. The disease makes us all equal regardless of where we happen to be in our journey.

Good luck & God's Peace Drama & Greeneyes
Old 06-04-2008, 04:11 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

Drama and Green, the Open Speakers meeting is a great idea.

Now here is another idea, go to the front of the phone book and look up your local AA and give them a buzz, the person who answers the phone or calls you back will be a recovering alcoholic also so they will have been right where you 2 are at right now. A lot of times they can arrange for you to meet someone for coffee if you want or at a meeting, that way you don't feel like you do not know any one.

Oh and one more very important thing, the ONLY requirement for being an AA member is a DESIRE to stop drinking, not being sober. My very first AA meeting I went to I was drunk as a skunk, I was amazed, I was more then welcome, people were friendly and I was even given the book Alcoholics Anonymous (also known as the Big Book).

I have seen plenty of folks come into meetings who have been drinking, I have never seen anyone get thrown out, they have all been welcome.

Think about it, if one had to be sober before they come to AA, there would be no need for AA or any other recovery program.
Old 06-04-2008, 04:30 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
ever closer...

The fear of going to AA for me was the actual admitting and accepting that I really was an alcoholic. I could think it all I wanted but attending a meeting made it a reality.
Once I made it through those doors and into that room an instance sense of relief fell over me.
as Nike says...Just Do It!
Old 06-04-2008, 06:32 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Great topic.

The very day I got out of rehab I went to an AA meeting, that night. I was 3 feet from the open door of the AA meeting when I heard people talking & laughing inside of the room.

Suddenly I had an anxiety flash... "OMG... I don't know if I belong here...", I turned around and left. Never went in.

15 years later, to the month, I went into my first meeting. 15 flipping years later.

For all of the good it does, I sure wish I had walked into that room that night long ago.

Walk into the room.
Old 07-12-2008, 12:05 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I know how you feel. I am still drinking , but I want to go to AA meetings My best advise to you to go there with a positive view and dont be nervous.
Old 07-12-2008, 01:04 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Welcome Hector!
Old 07-12-2008, 04:14 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
It`s ok to stay sober

did you ever go to a bar when you did not know a soul there?
Old 07-12-2008, 04:39 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Everyone had to experience their first AA meeting. Just take a deep breath and do it. It may be the decision that saves your life.

Tom
Old 07-12-2008, 05:23 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
To Thine Own Self Be True

I love the idea of going to a speakers meeting first.
When I went to my first meeting, I chose a womans meeing because I was afraid I was going to cry. It turned out to be a small meeting and it was good because I was able to talk to them afterwards about other meetings to go to.
Seriously, no one with quality recovery would EVER judge you for still drinking. We KNOW that alcohol is cunning, baffling and powerful!
Please take that step, you will be so glad you did and afterwards will fell silly that you were ever scared :ghug3
Old 07-12-2008, 05:28 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Here is a great link on what to expect at your first AA meeting:

Your First AA Meeting