Notices

Sleep

Old 07-05-2003, 05:34 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Paused

Sleep

I have been two weeks without a drink. After about the first week, I started waking up at around 6am. I know that when you have been drinking, REM sleep is rarely if ever reached, so your sleep is not as "deep," for lack of a better word, so you tend to sleep in/all day as your body tries to recover from the previous night's punishment. What puzzles me is that my whole life I have had trouble waking up whether or not I had a hangover, or had not had a drink in months. It does not matter if I go to bed at 11pm or 1 or 2 am. Have any of you experienced this in your recovery? I'm not saying it is a bad thing--it's nice to be at work consistently on time! I am just curious is all.
Thanks!
J.
Old 07-05-2003, 06:18 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Greatful Sober Biker

Hi Dietcoke, I wake up at the same time even on the weekends. I have been sober for awile and for me I don't worry about not getting enough sleep I guess when your bodt feels it has enough sleep you wake up. Be Cool BikerBill8
Old 07-05-2003, 11:26 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Paused

DietCoke,

I have had that same problem that you mentioned my whole life. I can go to sleep at 10pm or 2am but either way I am going to wake up REALLY groggy. I understand that nobody wakes up perfectly but I am really bad at this, it is wretched. I usually fall back asleep and dream that I woke up and got ready only to wake back up disapointed that I hadn't. My first three weeks of sobriety I was put on a sleeping med while in treatment so my sleepng pattern would get back on track, although I didn't always enjoy this because it still did not avoid the inevitable waking up. Once off the meds my sleep became more adjusted but I found myself waking up at 6am every morning, NO MATTER WHAT. If I fell asleep at 3am this would still happen. I would always try and go back to sleep because I have no need to wake before 9 but found this to be troublesome and just ended up waking at 6. I would be tired all day as well when I was drinking but found that even sober I was, only later to find it was because untreated attention-deficet disorder. This and depression/anxiety will make people tired during the day without even knowing it so if it is still a problem and you are feeling kinda blue, etc. you might want to check with your doctor. Always make sure to get a physical during recovery because illness' may appear that you weren't previously aware of.
Old 07-05-2003, 12:49 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
we're all mad here!

I've always had trouble sleeping. That's why I started drinking heavily in the first place. I noticed that I didn't sleep well when I was drinking, so I drunk more

Now that I'm sober, I'm sleeping soundly at night, but waking up at bloody 9 am in the morning. I cuss and harumph for an hour or so until I have to get up. I used to look at the clock, say dammit I don't want to be awake, drink some vodka, pass out. Repeat procedure throughout the day.

In answer to your actual question..... I sleep soundly once I get to sleep, have active rem sleep (at least I dream), and wake at the same time each morning (yuck)