Notices

When did you know you were ready to quit

Old 06-01-2008, 12:44 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Today's Muse

...and it does. Just when you think it can't get any worse...it does.
Old 06-01-2008, 06:37 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

When bad days were filled with drinking and drugs and better days were filled with only thinking of drinking and drugs. I didn't know if the bad days were ever going to get good but I settled for better long enough until the miracle happened.

I wanted it, I wanted it badly, I wanted it enough to do whatever it took. Make no mistake, I'm alcoholic, if I thought I could drink and drug with no negative consequences I would. But I can't, I'm convinced, it took along time but I reached that place. Now I just try everyday to remember who and what I am. Meetings help me do that, it's not that I'm a slow learner, just a fast forgeter.

Peace
Old 06-01-2008, 06:52 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

You are ready to quit when you are willing to quit. Perhaps you have not lost enough yet to obtain the necessary willingness. I was ready and had the willingness when I finally swallowed my ego and admitted I needed help, I surrendered to alcohol.

That evening I went to my first AA meeting, and have been sober ever since.

Tom
Old 06-02-2008, 07:44 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by NOMOMERLOTMAMMA View Post
I'm not sure if it was the end of my 13 year marriage, the foreclosure proceedings against my home, my kids having issues functioning in school due to me either being drunk or sleeping off the drunk, the isolation from my friends..maybe it was when the one person who loved me more than anyone decided to bail. I looked in the mirror and had no idea who that person was looking back at me..I was emotionally empty.

I have to ask you: how's your insides? How's your emotional life? I think when we get to the point of feeling soulless..that pretty much will be the jumping off point.
"emotionally empty" is exactly what i see looking into my wifes eyes, although she cannot see it yet.

thanx
Old 06-02-2008, 09:19 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  
bella

I knew I was ready to quit when I was willing to take some action and get into the solution and not stay in the problem. For me that's working the 12 steps with my sponsor,who has a sponsor who has worked the steps. sharing in meetings,etc.but most of all, knowing if i put alcohol into my body, I am not in control anymore. I must be consistant with these solutions or I won't stay sober. I thought I was different when I first tried to get sober, I had a job, too and admitted that I drank too much and was waiting for someone to give me the okay to drink and I did and my disease of alcohol progressed.
Old 06-04-2008, 11:13 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Knew I was ready to quit when....

Looked in the mirror and didn't recognize who I was emotionally or physically. I remembered that upbeat college girl with the good grades, local modeling jobs, and a dreamy future outlook. When I looked in the mirror, I only saw a cold, bitter, haggard addict with a cigarette in one hand and vodka/cran in the other. This woman had written off herself, family, career, and spirituality. And all for a bottle of poison which NO ONE should be drinking in the first place (moderately or not).