Notices

Amount of Alcohol

Old 05-28-2008, 11:54 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Amount of Alcohol

Just curious, what is or used to be your daily consumption?
Old 05-28-2008, 12:15 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
ever closer...

Know that in no way does the amount of alcohol that an individual was able to consumer measures their level of alcoholism. Any amount can make someones life crazy

That being said I drank about 12-24 beers daily for almost 2 years. I drank for over 20 years and always to the point of drunkeness and frequent blackouts but back then not always every day
Old 05-28-2008, 12:19 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

7 to 13 beers and/or mixed drinks almost every night for over ten years. I only drank at night, although I am sure I would have "graduated" to daytime drinking sooner or later.
Old 05-28-2008, 12:19 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

started binging as a teen, thought it was funny to be admitted to A and E a few times:wtf2
Stopped for a good 7 years whilst being a mum to young kids and obviously being pregnant, started drinking daily after horrible divorce- at that point i was drinking a bottle of wine- or at least 5 ciders a night,
Things got worse when i tried not to drink DAILY for me, because then when the weekend, came, or id had a "day off" id go mad- black out, not remember going to bed, drinking about 2/3 bottles of wine a day at weekends, sometimes mixing with cider too.
Urgh i feel sick thinking about it all now- 61 days sober,
Old 05-28-2008, 01:19 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

I don't really think the amount is as significant as how it affected me.
Old 05-28-2008, 02:19 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

4-6 drinks on "good" days, 7-12 drinks on "normal" days, 13-25 drinks on "party" days, and 26-36+ drinks a day when I was trying to quit drinking.
Old 05-28-2008, 02:33 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Why do you ask?
Old 05-28-2008, 02:34 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Computer Surgeon

I quit drinking daily and went to binges when it was apparent I wasn't able to drink as I liked and still make it to work.

My binges took me to blackout every time so I don't know for certain how much I was drinking exactly, but it was over a fifth a day.

Curious why you want to know... The amount really doesn't have any bearing on whether your an alcoholic or not, IMHO.
Old 05-28-2008, 03:15 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by miser View Post
Just curious, what is or used to be your daily consumption?
I know it's not an answer, but I don't think it was the amount so much as what it did to us. That being said, I can recall drinking so heavily at a big regatta that I wasn't hung over at 7 am the following morning, I was still drunk. Quite drunk, and I knew it. The hangover was utter misery.
Old 05-28-2008, 03:55 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I just drank whatever amount made me feel how to not feel... sometimes a little bit, often a lot of bit. I used to think the miracle was that I could drink that much and still get by in life... but the real miracle is that I can NOT drink that much and still get by in life.

It's about the quality of your life, not the quantity in your life.
Old 05-28-2008, 04:02 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Location: Scottsdale, AZ, one big happy dysfunctional family!
It was the first drink that got me started on a fast-track to oblivion, that first drink got me drunk every time. Not the second, the third, or every one that came after that.

That being said, 4 was my minimum on weeknights, 12+ per day on weekends, any more than that was an added bonus. I also drank jug wine, didn't stop until the jug was empty.

Most days my ex-wife and kids would cringe every time I poured another one or cracked open a can.
Old 05-28-2008, 04:39 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I had to wait until I got home from work to respond as to why I'm asking the question. I typically drink a 5 liter box of wine in 3-4 days, which amounts to 2 1/2 HUGE glasses of wine, plu a few sneak sips and then I refill to the top.

I know it's a huge amount. My liver enzymes are elevated. I cut down to one HUGE glass and a few sneak sips and my levels went back to normal. I'm not ready to stop yet, I'm just trying to cut back and was wondering how long until my health fails. I'm 38 and have been drinking since 26, but in varying amounts.
Old 05-28-2008, 04:43 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
No AA

i hate to think of the amounts i drank when i was bingeing in my "bar days"
more recently it's been anywhere from 4-12 beers or all the wine i could stomach
Old 05-28-2008, 05:05 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
ever closer...

I think one day you will just reach your point or you won't. Only time will tell. I tried quitting once before and was dry for about 3 months but not sober. My Mom (a recovered alcoholic 25+ years) said that I wasn't ready yet and maybe I never would. But 4 years later I was ready.
You will know your time when it comes...best to you
Old 05-28-2008, 06:42 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

miser...
Welcome!

Have you considered why drinking is so important to you?
You obviously know its unhealthy for you.

Take care because this is your life....
Old 05-28-2008, 07:39 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Today's Muse

I drank a bottle of wine every evening for years. I then progressed to two bottles of wine each night. I soon graduated to a large jug, graduating to two large jugs, supplemented in between, as needed, with anything and everything alcoholic.

The progression is astonishing.
Old 05-28-2008, 08:26 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

welcome Miser
I'm curious to know why are you asking us this question?

As it's been said, the amount isn't as important as the damage it does.

For me, when I drank, I had no guarentee how much I'd drink. I drank daily. It was horrible and I'm thankful that I'm sober.
chip
Old 05-28-2008, 08:27 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Quantitiy doesn't determine whether or not one is alcoholic. However, if a person is able to consume a case (24+ beers) in a day & remain standing that is a problem! Drinking that quantity shows TOLERANCE a key identifier in alcoholism.

Tib
Old 05-28-2008, 10:45 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Life the gift of recovery!

Quantity is not what determines if someone is an alcoholic. I know people who got drunk with less than a bottle of wine but consider themselves alcoholics. Personally I would buy two 30 packs and a pint of 100 proof Hot Damn to make it through an evenings drinking.
Old 05-29-2008, 02:17 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

My amount switched each day (hey, I was "controlling it" by not drinking the same amount! hahahaha) until near the end when I was drinking a bottle of Grey Goose or another hard alcohol per night, sometimes with a glass of wine thrown in for good measure.