Notices

Time and Energy

Old 05-26-2008, 02:27 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Hannitized

Time and Energy

Since I’ve been sober for these last few weeks, life has gotten easier in several ways. Here are a few of them.

My calendar. I never have to arrange activities around drinking! The time and energy spent doing this was unreal. Mom wants us over for dinner? Very little forethought needed because I won’t be hung-over or planning my next drunk. Friday night's FINE!

Transportation: I never have to worry about driving or about who is going to drive! Again, so much time and energy and planning went into this before. I never realized how much!

Money: Saw my credit card bill over the weekend. All of those trips NOT taken to the liquor store sure added up to a more manageable bill! Grocery expenses were cheaper too because I didn't buy beer!

Phone- Not afraid to talk anymore. No more morning after fears about what stupid things I said…or promised…or confessed.

It’s amazing how much time and energy I wasted being wasted. That’s ok. I have put the time and energy into more positive things now…like fighting the good fight…staying sober.
Old 05-26-2008, 04:38 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
ever closer...

I must add...not fearing my daughters school will call and I need to pick her up.
Old 05-26-2008, 04:57 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Good thread and good thoughts. I am going to add the ability to be present and of use to family members who need me. Case in point, my daughter got critically ill while staying with me (in sobriety). Took her to the ER and ended being transferred by ambulance to a children's hospital in Houston and spending 5 days in ICU. Had I not been sober a) I may not have been awake and picked up on how sick she was and b) I would have been stuck either detoxing in front of God and everybody in the ICU floor or c) plotting desperately how to leave and find a liquor store and then maintain enough to keep up appearances while there.

As it was I could focus on what was most important, my daughter, and make a living amends to her by being there, present and looking after her best interests instead of my own selfish interests.

Midnight come quick calls are also another good example. Those calls are never good but at least the person at the other end of the line can expect me to be awake and alert and able to respond.

Sobriety has so many upsides to it. Thank you for starting this thread!

Take care,
Kellye
Old 05-26-2008, 06:08 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Being alert and able to respond to emergencies is a wonderful way to feel. And I'm not afraid of having to go get the kid(s) from anywhere and being afraid to drive. I'm not afraid of what I might have done or said last nite. I still have "senior moments" all the time, but at least they're not drunken stupid senior moments.

I'm keeping the house decently clean since I"m not always drunk or hungover or sick or shaking like a leaf. And my daughter talks to me again! And I don't smell like a vineyard anymore!

:bounce
Old 05-27-2008, 05:11 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

One of the most positive things I have found in recovery...

the freedom to be me without hiding in a haze of alcohol.
Old 05-27-2008, 05:21 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

Doesn't sobriety rock!!!!!!!!