Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Alcoholism Information > Alcoholism
Reload this Page >

Losing inspiration to take the time to read and post...

Notices

Old 05-17-2008, 11:32 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Helping Others, Helps Me

I figure it is time I updated my quicklink bookmark to the alcoholism thread as I am now far from a newcomer to recovery.......but and working hard at it.

I have found I have lost all inspiration to read a large thread and what other people have been saying to others on here...but I also LOVE spending time on my computer.....so I need something to occupy my time

Suggestions?

Last edited by CarolD; 05-18-2008 at 04:55 AM. Reason: Link Removed
Old 05-17-2008, 11:58 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Don't get undies in a bunch

inspiration...is fueled by effort.

Is the lack of inspiration being caused by the little voices of alcohol that try telling us we don't need to continue working at our goal?
Such are the things a relapse is made of.
Old 05-18-2008, 02:11 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Helping Others, Helps Me

yawns.........maybe I have been really tired lately.........but something is wrong..........i gotta find it........yawns.....i am off to bed
Old 05-18-2008, 04:45 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I think a lot of us go through "read and post", burn out. That's the funny thing about us alcoholics, we all think we are do different from everyone else.

Tom
Old 05-18-2008, 05:00 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

It's ok to use several Forums...just not ok to mirror .

Here is a link of ideas..you may not have seen it

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...r-hobbies.html

....Welcome to our Alcoholism Forum
Old 05-19-2008, 10:50 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
same planet...different world

hi Magic-

I think you should give yourself time to heal...
I go through phases with that as well.

And I'm NOTORIOUS for the LONG post.

I also notice I go through 'tv' phases also -
I can't sit and listen to my NPR ...
there's simply too many words....
so I switch to mindless tv.

That's just images and not thought.

LOL!
Old 05-19-2008, 07:44 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I found SR when I was a year sober and have been on here on and off for the past almost 3 years. I have definitely done the roller coaster thing. Times when I would be on a roll and times when I would read and only see the negative. I have taken mini-breaks before and then when I came back it was always fresh again. Here lately I mainly lurk and only respond when I resonate with a post or have ESH on the subject matter. Since the old counters were wiped out a while back it would appear I barely post on here but prior to that time I had over 1,000 posts and many more thousands of posts read.

I think it is ok to take a break if you need to IF you have other methods of support. I hate to think of anyone out there trying to do this deal without support. As Carol pointed out there are many boards on here dealing with many aspects of recovery so if one is growing old at the moment maybe check out another one.

I am an alcoholic but I am also a codie (way before I started drinking) and I have food issues, and I deal with chonic pain, and I'm a woman and prior to getting married last year I was trying to make my way through relationships in sobriety. There are different boards within this one site for every one of those scenarios listed above. That is the beauty, to me, of SR. I also do face to face AA meetings, hold treasurer in my home group, am married to someone in recovery and attend the same home group with him and my in laws and am getting into the sponsor arena. So once again, diverse.

Anywho I'm sure you get the drift so I'll hush now and go back to lurking!

Take care,
Kellye C.
Old 05-19-2008, 09:54 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Helping Others, Helps Me

Yeah, I think with my addictive personality, I tend to get super huge into something and then it kind of plateaus. But that it like most things with me, but I guess I gotta do what I gotta do.
Old 05-19-2008, 10:15 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Yeah, I'm like that too. Some threads I miss the beginning of and they get really long and sometimes I just leave them and go to a short thread or a new thread thats easier to follow!
Old 05-20-2008, 05:02 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Magic, when I get bored of reading and posting, I relapse. But there is more to SR than simply the threads. Social groups. Blogs. PMs. DIFFERENT threads. It doesn't have to be boring.
Old 05-20-2008, 06:50 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MagicMan08 View Post
I figure it is time I updated my quicklink bookmark to the alcoholism thread as I am now far from a newcomer to recovery.......but and working hard at it.

I have found I have lost all inspiration to read a large thread and what other people have been saying to others on here...but I also LOVE spending time on my computer.....so I need something to occupy my time

Suggestions?

How far are you?
Old 05-20-2008, 07:59 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I try not to focus on how long I have been sober or how far I have come. Each day is just that, a day... and I try to be the best me that I can be for that day. If you feel like posting, post, if not... do not. "Ours is not to wonder why, ours is but to do or die."

John
Old 05-20-2008, 09:15 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MagicMan08 View Post

Suggestions?

Magic,
I don't understand your last few threads at all......you say you are far from a newcomer in recovery, yet you are still drinking, driving, justifying, but tooting your old-timer-not-a-newcomer stuff.

I'm confused....please enlighten us.
Old 05-21-2008, 08:20 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Helping Others, Helps Me

I didn't say I was far along in my sobriety, I have been trying to get sober and have had several bouts in the last year of between 1-4months, i was more speaking of my willingness to be in the program...sure i struggle
Old 05-21-2008, 09:14 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I'm glad you are still walking the path toward sobriety!
Old 05-21-2008, 10:22 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Another Day in Paradise

Reading these threads does get tiresome, particularly when they are long and run over several days.

IF ONLY THERE WAS A PLACE WHERE PEOPLE GOT TOGETHER IN PERSON AND TALKED ABOUT THEIR PROBLEM WITH ALCOHOL. TALKING AND INTERACTING WITH ACTUAL LIVE FOLKS WOULD BE SO SUPPORTIVE. IF A POSTING SITE CAN MOTIVATE AND FORM BONDS BETWEEN PEOPLE IMAGINE WHAT A GROUP OF US ALL SITTING IN THE SAME ROOM WOULD BE LIKE. SOMETHING LIKE I AM DESCRIBING MIGHT JUST KEEP PEOPLE SOBER AND COULD CATCH ON IF ENOUGH PEOPLE TRIED IT.

Just an alternative if these posts become too long and tiresome to read sometimes.

Jon
Old 05-21-2008, 11:44 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Jfanagle View Post
IF ONLY THERE WAS A PLACE WHERE PEOPLE GOT TOGETHER IN PERSON AND TALKED ABOUT THEIR PROBLEM WITH ALCOHOL. TALKING AND INTERACTING WITH ACTUAL LIVE FOLKS WOULD BE SO SUPPORTIVE. IF A POSTING SITE CAN MOTIVATE AND FORM BONDS BETWEEN PEOPLE IMAGINE WHAT A GROUP OF US ALL SITTING IN THE SAME ROOM WOULD BE LIKE. SOMETHING LIKE I AM DESCRIBING MIGHT JUST KEEP PEOPLE SOBER AND COULD CATCH ON IF ENOUGH PEOPLE TRIED IT.
Oh my god! If only!
Old 05-21-2008, 11:46 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

? If only ?
Old 05-21-2008, 12:27 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

If only there was such a place!
Old 05-21-2008, 02:02 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

LOL! I sit in such a place every night I am able to!!!