Notices

I quit drinking-now I have problems

Old 05-22-2008, 07:28 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Hey James...
I am not a doctor, nor do I play one on TV!

So here's a weird thought -- maybe the physical stuff going on has NOTHING to do with you quitting drinking? If that is the case, you've got some stuff going on in your body that you need to track down and fix... Not sure what your diet is like, if you exercise, how your stress levels are, etc. -- but everything works together... The tough part is that doctors are trained to rule out symptoms instead of looking for the root cause. That can be a challenge.

Either way, if it were me I would have a FULL blood work-up -- from soup to nuts. And being an advocate for Celiac Disease, please be sure to have the doctor add that to the panel -- this is a disease which 1 in every 133 people HAVE, but only 3% are ever diagnosed!!!! I am not even implying that you might have this, but I would check for as many things as possible.

I have found that diet and stress affect me BIG TIME and are probably, for me, the 2 hardest areas of my life to get a handle on. The saying that we are "digging our graves with our teeth" has more truth to it than most know...

Keep us posted -- and don't use this as an excuse to go back to your Micro-Brews -- I can totally relate to your 'drinking beer for taste.' LOL -- I was a Home Brewer!!!! Yes, I drank for taste too! Funny, though -- I love the taste of Fresca, but I have never sat down and drank a 12 pack or a case at a sitting... hmmm....

In good health...

NMB
Old 05-22-2008, 07:48 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Queen of Leesburg

It might also be that he didn't notice these symptoms much before because he wasn't sober enough to notice...just a thought. i hope you find an answer friend. feeling crappy with no identifies reason starts to make you feel nutty...I'm there myself right now.
Old 05-23-2008, 02:37 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  
same planet...different world

hi james -

just my two cents about finding another opinion.

when you get your blood done INSIST on what they aparently call a FULL PANEL thyroid and diabetes screen.

I'll tell you why -

I quit drinking twenty two months ago.
Only Two WEEKS ago - I was diagnosed with a shut down thyroid.

I've had four - count em FOUR blood screens done.

It wasn't until a FULL PANEL blood test with TSH and Diabetes screens were done ...

that I was found to have near-fatal imbalances in the TSH (thyroid stimulating hormone).

Doctors don't always DO a 'full panel' or full screen type of test on the newly recovering alcoholic because our chemistry (blood and brain) is so whacked out when we first sober up we're like walking talking EPA disaster sites for the first year.
But for that same reason - I continued to suffer under a condition that pre-existed my alcholism ... and it almost progressed to fatal levels before finally getting found out.
JMO
Old 05-24-2008, 12:57 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  
1 bite&all resistance crumbles

Originally Posted by NoMoBeer View Post
Hey James...
I am not a doctor, nor do I play one on TV!

I have found that diet and stress affect me BIG TIME and are probably, for me, the 2 hardest areas of my life to get a handle on. The saying that we are "digging our graves with our teeth" has more truth to it than most know...

NMB
Oh Ken I love you! :day4That is so funny, nor do I play one on tv!

What you said abuot diet and stress and exercise is SO true for me too...oh my gosh, sobriety has opened up this whole world of nutrition for me - how did my body cope?!??! Anyone interested google 'food frenzy' the most wonderful speaker about alcoholism and diet...

James you quit because alcohol was probably, if you're anything like me, killing you from the inside out. Keep going you are doing so great and big welcome Erika, loved your post!

Cathy31
x
Old 12-12-2012, 03:29 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Sober and Sick

I'm almost at the six month mark and every day I wonder why the hell I quit. Then I remember screaming at the ceiling, slurring and how pissed off I was. I'm still pissed off but have some control on how I react to it. So far have visited ER 8 to 10 times for a multitude of bizzare symtoms - Shooting headaches, seizures, facial paralysis, high blood pressure, low blood pressure, heart palpitations, breathing difficulties, unable to swallow, and many other motility issues. All of which occurred AFTER I stopped drinking. I can only surmise that my brain and body were very accustomed to the alcohol and worked itself a new system to adapt. Then I quit - now it's trying hard to find a new way to adapt. May not make it without some strange permanent neuropathy but hell at least I can say I tried. It appears as soon as one weird symptom disappears another takes its place. I felt physically on top of the world before I quit drinking but knew I was mentally ******. I'd rather have this tradeoff anyday. Keep on trucking is all I can say. I wake up every day thinking this is the day I'll feel "normal" again. That's all any of us can do. Keep your chin up. It took me 20 years to get here, perhaps it'll take a while to ....
Old 12-12-2012, 03:53 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome to SR 20year

I drank for 20 years too - it took me most of the first year to sort myself out mentally and physically.

I still think that's a good deal

D
Old 12-12-2012, 04:14 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

The few times I detoxed in the last 20 years the physical pain would go away after a week or so with no lingering effects. The mental aspect of it remained and always drew me back. I never got past five weeks so I don't know if anything was lurking in a physical sense that was about to hit me but I did feel good healthwise after the initial suffering.

T
Old 12-12-2012, 06:33 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by jamesMM View Post
I quit.
probably 2-3 months ago.

I was a daily drinker, not heavy maybe a couple each night for years(up to 4 occasionally). My weapon of choice has always been nice expensive beer. I collect micros. I drink for the taste and as a relaxing activity.

I was unsure of the health consequences and decided to take a break.
I was also starting to feel like hell between drinking sessions I think this was
the start of tolerance and dependance.

The first week was ok
simple fatigue, brain fog, etc.

Over the last 60 days. I have had weird stuff constantly. Fevers off and on. Waking up sweating. Waking up feeling like I have been run over by a truck. Neck tension. Jaw tension. TMJ like issues. Headaches. Weird Muscle spasms in my face. Fluttering in my lungs right side. Sleeping problems.

This started after I quit. I am confused. My Doc even took blood checking for lime disease. I check out fine.

Why did I quit for this?
Hi James

I am not a doctor but Your body may be reacting to the Stress of giving up alcohol. Stress can really affect your health. Especially sleep. Maybe you should check with your dentist, you may be grinding your teeth at night, and causing TMJ , neck and jaw tension.

I had to get a mouth guard from the dentist I was , grinding my teeth from the stress of my mothers cancer. This was way after I gave up alcohol, but sobriety is a very stressful thing for a body to go through and sometimes the stress manifests itself in strange ways.

Anyway, congrats on your sobriety and for checking in with your doctor.That is always the first line of defense.
Old 12-12-2012, 06:40 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  
Administrator

The original post in this thread is from 2008, guys.

D