Notices

i think im going to give this a try...

Old 05-16-2008, 04:54 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Hey Claude, how did day two go? Keep us posted on how you are doing.
Old 05-16-2008, 05:27 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

today is the start of day 3.

so far, everything is going great. i feel excellent. it is nice to wake up refreshed and with energy. im taking my son to the zoo today, and im really looking forward to it.

tonight may be my toughest test yet. fridays are usually the day when i head to the liquor store to stock up for the week. obviously, im going to have to change my routine. ive thought it through and ive figured out some things to do instead.

so far the only withdrawal ive had is trouble sleeping. i also get a little shaky at times, almost always at night.
Old 05-16-2008, 05:34 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Hi - Its great to see this post and know your doing well. It's really great that you are aware of your vunerable times and come up with a plan. You probably already know, but there is a thread, I think under newcomers, that is for those with 2 weeks and under. I read it daily. Lots of neat people who are sharing regarding that first couple of weeks.

Keep on goin':bounce
Old 05-16-2008, 05:45 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

Claude just focus on today, take the actions you need to take to stay sober today, start working on tomorrow when you wake up tomorrow.

Congrats on day 3, just a warning, some of us do not even begin to have any major withdrawals showing up until day 3 or 4. When I was in detox, I experienced no symptoms until my 3rd day, they had me loaded up with vitamins and blood pressure meds from the second I hit the front door. About half way through my 3rd day as was the normal every 2 hour BP check and the "Hold out you hand" check, they saw that I was starting to get the shakes, the nurse said "Well looks like we have to up your seizure meds." Turns out I had been on them since the first day I came in and did not even know it.

Be prepared, things may or may not get a lot worse before they get better, do not hesitate to call an ambulance if needed.
Old 05-16-2008, 06:14 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Go gettem Claude!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 05-16-2008, 06:23 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

If I only tried to get sober I would still be drinking. I had to hit my bottom. When I did hit my bottom I knew that I had to do more than try otherwise I was going to be fitted for a casket.

If you have the willingness to go to any length to get sober, your not trying...You doing!!! Take each day and only a day as it comes. Don't worry about failing tomorrow, or the next day. Only concern yourself with today.

Tom
Old 05-17-2008, 05:29 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

yesterday was a horrible, horrible day. i had to put up with a lot of crap i should never have to deal with. but that is a whole other subject. it was the type of day that normally has me running to the bottle. and yes the thought did cross my mind several times during the course of yesterday.

but i didnt drink. everytime the thought popped in my head, i just repeated to myself that im not going to drink today. while im very, very early in my sobriety, im proud of myself for not giving in. and im proud of myself for not letting others beat my self esteem down, like they so often do.

today is day 4. im not expecting today to be any better than yesterday....might even be worse. but im not drinking today.

physically i still feel great. i feel rested and energetic. my appetite has gone through the roof. i think that is probably a good thing. ive lost a lot of weight during my drinking years.
Old 05-17-2008, 06:28 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Claude,

Congratulations on your Sobriety. I too and countless others have felt as you did. The only advice I would add to that already offered is do not rely on your family for support once they do figure it out. Family members have their own agendas and priorities, they may or may not be as supportive as you need. You need to create your own support network, here is a good start, but I don't think anything, anywhere, can beat A.A.. I was stunned at my first meeting... all of these people... from all walks of life... and they were just like me... and better yet they accepted me immediately and showed me unconditional love and understanding. If you do nothing else, find a meeting, preferrably a discussion meeting, and go to it.

John
Old 05-17-2008, 07:17 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

since it is after 10pm and the liquor store is closed, i can officially report that i made it through day 4 sober.

the day was fantastic. great weather. i did a lot of walking. i was also able to get a lot of reading done.

things went downhill this evening. i kept thinking of drinking. i kept staring at the clock hoping it would speed up...so 10 oclock would roll around and the liquor store would close. im a grown man and ill admit i was in tears. crying and praying at the same time. i really, really want to stay sober. thank god i made it through another day.

im not trying to bore anyone with the details. writing about it helps me. and im thankful im able to sit here at 10:17 and write about it. if i had made that trip to the liquor store, id be in a damn stupor by now.
Old 05-17-2008, 07:55 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Good for you....
Old 05-19-2008, 07:51 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

CaludePepper77.
Please keep us posted on your progress. I cannot imagine that anyone would be "bored" with it.
I am very proud of you for not giving in. Whatever it takes, friend. Cry if you must, whatever it takes.
My Uncle is a recovering, self and other - destructing drinker...has been clean for 14 years now. One of the best things he has taught me is this (and you mentioned it):

"I will not ..... today. Maybe tomorrow, just not today."

This is what I used to stop smoking after 10 years. Cold turkey, hurt as hell but it has been 7 years and I still do not smoke.

I have been here for several months now, reading these forums to gain more knowlege and understanding about my wife. She is slipping into darkness, but is not ready for help yet so i must remain on the sidelines watching. She has not taken the very important first step that you have, but since you have already taken it, suffering, in time, will bring you freedom.

I have not been, and am not in the place you are, but know that you have my support.
1 million dollars is made of pennies, as infinity is made of days.
1 day without a drink, you can do. Worry about tomorrow, tomorrow