Notices

Cravings...

Old 05-10-2008, 10:37 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
We Cannot Learn Without Pain

Cravings...

I don't think I am physically dependent on alcohol, but psychologically I definately am. I was wondering how to beat the cravings, and how long they typically last, and the duration (weeks, months, years).

I was also wondering what I can do to let the cravings pass... something productive maybe?

Any advice would be wonderful. Thanks in advance...:praying
Old 05-10-2008, 10:42 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Hi....Glad you are here with us...

In early sobriety....
I timed my cravings.

They were 5-7 minutes in duration.
Not too long too endure discomfort
Soooo....I took action.
Walked...rushed my teeth... Drank cold water...Hard candy

Within 2 weeks...the lessened in both time and intensity.
By 2 or so months .... they vanished.

Now...were they mental or physical?
Darn if I know. Nor do I care.

I do hope you will let us know how you are doing
Old 05-10-2008, 10:50 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Life the gift of recovery!

Welcome to our alcoholism forum!

Old 05-10-2008, 01:33 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome Manda!

I think it was about two or three months into recovery, before I felt comfortable with myself and my mind let go of the obsession. But, I'm sure it varies with each person. The thing is, each time you get through a craving and don't drink, you become stronger!
Old 05-10-2008, 01:37 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Cravings may be a sign that you're thirsty or hungry. Always make sure you're hydrated. Ice cream also kills cravings!

-Eroica
Old 05-10-2008, 04:22 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Hannitized

Please ease our burdens, Lord. We carry so much.

I am 13 days sober. I may be too new to "give advice", but I feel compelled to share some techniques and ideas that have helped me through these first days.

I get cravings too. They usually come on weekends when I have more free time. But it is true~The more I resist these cravings, the stronger I become…and you will too! I get a lot of personal satisfaction from choosing life over what was for me, suicide.

I have started keeping a list of tasks I want to accomplish daily. That helps me stay focused when cravings hit. Outdoor chores I thought would be unrewarding unless I was drinking are still pleasurable. I like being in the sunshine...in the world...not in my bed hungover on a beautiful Saturday afternoon.

Maybe you had a passion for something before alcohol entered your life. Think back to what you did before you went down that lonesome road.

When the craving for alcohol hits, I think it through to the end. I get past imagining the initial feeling of relief alcohol provided me to the dreaded guilt, anxiety, shame and disgust I would feel upon waking up the day after.

I also discovered I have lost weight and I have more money! The puffy bags that developed under my eyes are gone! I was told by a colleague recently that my eyes "sparkle". The Lord is restoring me.

There are so many advantages to sober living. You know what? I could fire up my truck and take a drive tonight if I want. I am not imprisoned by drunkenness. I am FREE!

I wish you the very best!