Notices

Acceptance

Old 05-09-2008, 11:28 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Acceptance

Acceptance

Acceptance in spirituality, mindfulness, and human psychology, usually refers to the experience of a situation without an intention to change that situation. Indeed, acceptance is often suggested when a situation is both disliked and unchangeable, or when change may be possible only at great cost or risk. Acceptance may imply only a lack of outward, behavioral attempts at possible change, but the word is also used more specifically for a felt or hypothesized cognitive or emotional state. Thus someone may decide to take no action against a situation and yet be said to have not accepted it.
Old 05-09-2008, 07:48 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Relapse is not an option!

Acceptance is the answer to all my problems today. When I'm disturbed, it is because I find some person, place, thing, or situation unacceptable to me, and I can find no serenity untill I accept that person, place, or thing, or situation as being exactly the way it is supposed to be at this moment. Nothing, absolutely nothing happens in God's world by mistake. Until I could accept my alcoholism, I could not stay sober. Unless I accept life completely on life's terms, I can not be happy. I need to concentrate not so much on what needs to be changed in the world as on what needs to be changed in me and in my attitudes.

Just one of my tools I use.
Old 05-09-2008, 08:08 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
down the rabbit hole

Acceptance was the topic of my alanon meeting this week, and also the theme of my meditation class yesterday...
I think somebody's trying to tell me something...
thanks for posting this!
Old 05-10-2008, 10:17 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
One Day At A Time

Thanks for this post rufus- i love the disscussing acceptance. I believe my recovery so far is all down to having accepted my alcoholism and it has given me so much freedom- esspecially from all that horrible mental turmoil. Im very grateful for my acceptance!
Old 05-12-2008, 10:20 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Acceptance gets tough when we are presented with situations that do not make good sense. Making a list of things we do not accept really sheds the light on how close we are to our Higher Power and our personal powerlessness in the world.
Old 05-12-2008, 02:49 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

For a really interesting book on radical acceptance as applied to sobriety check out the book "The Tao of Sobriety"