Notices

34 and still Peer Pressure???

Old 05-13-2008, 02:07 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Most of the people I knew who drank a lot weren't really my friends anyways, they lost interest in me once I stopped getting wasted... so I peer pressure isn't a problem for me unless I choose to seek out drunk people and hang out with them while they drink. Make sense?
Old 05-13-2008, 09:00 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

I was around a hard core drinker once (other than myself). We were all in sales, and he was the first to come to the bar, and last to leave. He was a lot like, well, me. One night we all went out for drinks after a good week. He ordered an ice water and we all raised our eyebrows. He said, simply, he gave up booze. We talked about it for like a minute and he said he felt he developed a problem and was "going to some meetings".

For five years, I never saw him touch a drop again, and nobody ever asked him about it again. Why? Because nobody on our team really cared if he drank or not. Sometimes we have a tendency to think friends really care if we no longer drink, but speaking from experience here, nobody cared if this guy drank or not. And we all liked him, but we really never cared about his drinking habits, because sober or drunk, he really did not affect us (obviously, this does not apply to family, or friends you treat as family). As long as he kept his "AA to himself" which he did, nobody cared.

I guess my point is, if someone asks you, tell them you are drying out for a while. After a minute of ribbing, nobody is going to care. Trust me. Most people will be much more concerned about their own buzz as opposed to why you are drinking a Sprite..

I am meeting up with some friends next week. We are going to a game together. When I order a coke, to their beer, I am sure I will get some good natured ribbing for like a minute, then nobody is really going to care and go on about their Budweiser.

Just my .02, but people have a much greater tendency to make a big deal about someone drinking too much, rather than not at all.
Old 05-13-2008, 09:12 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SalesGuy View Post
I was around a hard core drinker once (other than myself). We were all in sales, and he was the first to come to the bar, and last to leave. He was a lot like, well, me. One night we all went out for drinks after a good week. He ordered an ice water and we all raised our eyebrows. He said, simply, he gave up booze. We talked about it for like a minute and he said he felt he developed a problem and was "going to some meetings".

For five years, I never saw him touch a drop again, and nobody ever asked him about it again. Why? Because nobody on our team really cared if he drank or not. Sometimes we have a tendency to think friends really care if we no longer drink, but speaking from experience here, nobody cared if this guy drank or not. And we all liked him, but we really never cared about his drinking habits, because sober or drunk, he really did not affect us (obviously, this does not apply to family, or friends you treat as family). As long as he kept his "AA to himself" which he did, nobody cared.

I guess my point is, if someone asks you, tell them you are drying out for a while. After a minute of ribbing, nobody is going to care. Trust me. Most people will be much more concerned about their own buzz as opposed to why you are drinking a Sprite..

I am meeting up with some friends next week. We are going to a game together. When I order a coke, to their beer, I am sure I will get some good natured ribbing for like a minute, then nobody is really going to care and go on about their Budweiser.

Just my .02, but people have a much greater tendency to make a big deal about someone drinking too much, rather than not at all.
One more point, I do agree, if the sole purpose of your friendship with these folks was getting drunk, then I agree, find a new group to run with. But if you have other interests, I would not cut ties simply because they drink.

Fortunately, I guess, for me, my alcoholism has forced me into a virtual isolation so such decisions are not that tough for me. Outside a couple buddies, my friendships have been Ernie at the liquor store who would let me know the white wine specials when I walked in, and my television.
Old 05-14-2008, 06:23 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Thanks guys! Basically I will find out who my real friends are and who are just drinking buddies. I could probably pick through the crowd, and I'm actually ok with that.

I sent an email (because it's MUCH easier than confrontation) to some and just told them I was in fact taking a break and it had nothing to do with them. It was well-received and they gave me their good-wishes and said they didn't care if I drank or not. So, we'll see. This weekend, I decided if asked, just tell them upfront I'm taking a break. I think I care more about it than they do, and they'll be happy to have a driver! This is a different group, so I know I won't have the discomfort aout being "singled-out".

And I guess I should clarify that the activites don't necessarily revolve around alcohol, but there is always alcohol. Most of the time, I won't indulge anyway because I'm ready to make a quick exit from meetings, etc. I've just noticed it's everywhere!

Plus - last weekend was nice NOT being reminded of what I did or said. I wouldn't trade that for anything!