Notices

Go ahead drink !!

Old 05-07-2008, 06:21 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Go ahead drink !!

This is what i was told the other day when i was on a poor John trip, it helped me so i thought i would share it here and possibly help someone else who might be toying with the idea of drinking again.
So i mentioned to this person i was stressed (job related) and blah blah, bottom line i want a drink. I love the taste of that first one, also i missed getting f'd up and enjoying myself

He told me to go ahead drink enjoy yourself for the 5 or 6 hours before you passout , blackout or die. Then if you wake up how are you going to feel about it then ? Well ? I was told that the craving i was dealing with would be alot less of a struggle to deal with than the ramifications of a few hours of what John wanted.
Sounds simple, common sense right ? At the time of my craving i was not thinking like that though, all i wanted was to get f'd up , and poor me i can't do that ever again and all that crap. Thanks to another AA member and my higher power, I AM STILL SOBER............... Because i reached out to them and they were there..

Take care,
John
Old 05-07-2008, 06:28 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

John,

I've heard this process called thinking it through. You may think getting hammered again would be fun, but think it through and play it out til the end in your mind and you'll soon realize it's not worth it.

John
Old 05-07-2008, 06:34 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

Thanks for sharing that John! And I thank you even more for giving the full explanation.

Some folks when they hear one sober alcoholic told another sober alcoholic to go ahead and drink that is all that is said and then they walk off.

As you just shared this is not the case, this is one sober alcoholic helping another sober alcoholic who is thinking about drinking think the drink through for him when he is unable to think it through himself.
Old 05-07-2008, 07:03 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Good work, though please remember the desire will return in a hundred different and unique ways. Working the Steps, joining a Home Group, working with a Sponsor, daily surrendering to a Power Greater than you will all help to insure more of these interventions. Is it possible that God is doing for you what you could not do for yourself? Do not be too quick to pat yourself on the back too hard; sounds like God had a hand as well in this encounter. There will come a time when you will not have a defense against the first drink. So like the Scouts; be prepared!