Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Alcoholism Information > Alcoholism
Reload this Page >

did you have tension and muscle issues after quiting?

Notices

Old 04-22-2008, 11:53 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

The hardest things going for me since I quit
1. Tension-Mainly in my jaw, tense and tension headaches
2. Weird muscle type spasms but not twiches more like they feel strange and malfunctioning. I get these from time to time in my lips, cheek muscles, muscles in my chin, sometimes in other parts of my body.
3. Some tiggling through my body at times
4. Feeling off balance at times
5. Feeling like my blood sugar has plummeted out of nowhere and I feel very weak, faint and strange like I would imagine a diabetic would feel.

I don't feel the urge to drink and somedays I feel great.

I have been to the doctor recently and everything checked out. I am going back next week for another check up. I am not looking for medical advice or anything just want to know if anyone had lingering strange things and how long till they subsided for you.

I also must admit that I am tapering off a prescription anxiety medicine and I am sure this might be the culprit or a combination in the culprit. That said most of this stuff has coincided with my quitting drinking 40 plus days ago.

I was not a heavy drinker but a daily drinker and it was definitly starting to get a hold on me.

I don't really crave or worry about drinking and staying away from it has been a very nice change.
Old 04-22-2008, 11:54 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

PS> I know about PAWS and understand it and READ all about it. No horror stories please. I need positive affirmations
Old 04-22-2008, 11:58 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

What meds were you on? I suspect(i am no md, but have been through it) that those may be the main culprit in your case.
Old 04-23-2008, 12:02 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Valium, and I am sure it plays a part. I am on a super tiny dose(2mg) and working on getting off. I had vertigo problems but now its different, these issues seemed to start up mainly after quitting my daily nightcaps. It probably all plays a part and I probably know the answer. I just want to hear from others.
Old 04-23-2008, 12:23 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

thanx interesting posts/thread softerlouder...
i used valium for the first time with detox for 2wks. 26days off drinking, i've been experiencing these same issues as u discribe, very intensly for about the past 5days to the point were i've bed ridden... seen Dr today.
thinking meds are the culprit and these problems/issues subside soon... back to the Dr monday for another follow up.
will keep u informed as to if and when these problems subside. would like to hear also as u put it....
Originally Posted by softerlouder View Post
I am not looking for medical advice or anything just want to know if anyone had lingering strange things and how long till they subsided for you.
thanx
Old 04-23-2008, 01:07 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Good to know you are seeing your doctor.

By 2 months sober
I was back in mental and physical balance.
I did not use benzos during that time
nor have I since then.

Blessings
Old 04-23-2008, 03:52 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

One thing I had was a lack of drive and energy, this may have partially been due to me being so focused on my recovery, but it took me about 6-8 months before my energy levels started to return to normal.
Old 04-23-2008, 03:59 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Feeling 'normal' again takes some time, but coming off the anxiety meds can cause problems. Best you consult your doctor about it. You can help yourself also by coming back here often for support and friendship. THis is support that's always here, we never close!:ghug
Old 04-23-2008, 12:08 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I've been off the booze for almost 5 days and have all of the symptoms you describe. I'm not on benzo's, either. So I'm guessing it's probably just our bodies getting used to not having alcohol in it.