Notices

Alcoholism or drinking problem?

Old 04-21-2008, 02:19 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Alcoholism or drinking problem?

Could someone explain the difference between alcoholism and a drinking problem? Thanks
Old 04-21-2008, 02:29 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

That is a good question. Have you had multiple DUI's? Do you have withdrawal when stopping? Have others told you have a alcohol problem? Have you noticed a increase in tolerance? Are you thinking about alcohol when your not drinking? If you answered yes to any of these questions you probably have alcoholism.
Old 04-21-2008, 02:36 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I'm not sure....but complete abstinense will help either one of them.
Old 04-21-2008, 02:37 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
A new dawn and new chapter

Honestly I always thought the two went hand and hand. Yeah I know you have your college frat boy style drinkers who only do it on weekends and can spend MON-FRI going about there daily lives. But hey that's the way I started off. During the week I had school, martial arts, and football practice. But come Friday and Saturday night it was party time. I was so young and naive thinking back then that I actually looked forward to the day I could do this all the time. Welp, I got my wish and here I am. Started off a problem drinker, graduated to a alcoholic.
Old 04-21-2008, 02:54 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Anxiety King

From what I've understood, problem drinking is the first stage on ones way to alcoholism. Which is probably what I am (after from I've learned here and at AA). But if you just want to stop drinking like I did, the label really doesn't matter.
Old 04-21-2008, 03:40 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by babylonsister View Post
Could someone explain the difference between alcoholism and a drinking problem? Thanks
In my case, it was just a matter of time.
Old 04-21-2008, 03:41 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

If you can quit drinking alcohol on your own, never drink again and not miss it, then you probably just had an alcohol problem.
Old 04-21-2008, 03:49 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Attitude of Gratitude

In my opinion, I think the only difference is that some people don't like to admit that they are an alcoholic. It sounds so final. I used to say I was a problem drinker. But because I didn't have any DUI's I thought that keep me from being a full blown shameful alcoholic. Boy, was I wrong.

I also feel that some people think that an alcoholic is only a person who drinks everyday. I never drank every day. But when I did, watch out! I became a person I did not even know.

I tried all kinds of ways to control my drinking. Obviously those never worked. I would only take so much money with me thinking that once the money was gone, I would either come home at a reasonable hour or else just start drinking coke. The only thing that did was make me come home to get more money, and then I would end up taking it all with me or else I would flirt shamelessly in order to have drinks bought for me. You can imagine some of the behaviors this brought on.

My last few years, I ended up mostly drinking at home. I wanted to avoid any further embarressing situations and also tried to be a money smart drinking. I told myself it was much cheaper to drink at home.What I really was doing was isolating myself from the rest of the world. I would end up feeling sorry for myself because I was sitting alone at home, drinking by myself. Poor me, poor me, pour me another drink. I ended up on several day binges where I would simply drink to the point of passing out, wake up shaky and sick and drink more to avoid a hangover and chase away the shakes. 'Just a little hair of the dog' I told myself. After several days and my body could not keep anymore alcohol down and everything I did keep down kept me on the toilet, I would begin to go through severe withdrawls. I would begin having seizures, hallucinating and so on. Luckily, the last time I got drunk, my neighbor came over for I don't even remember why. She knew I was home, knew I had been on a several day binge and came in through my window when I didn't answer the door. If she didn't, I wouldn't be alive today to post this.

You see, I'm not an alcoholic, I just have a problem when I drink.

Or so I thought.

God Bless,
Judy
Old 04-21-2008, 03:51 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Not sure there is. I think in most cases 'drinking problem' is just a nice way to describe 'alcoholism'. Something about that 'ism' that people find disturbing.

COMMUNISM

BOTULISM
Old 04-21-2008, 04:15 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

You really only get one shot at drinking in life. Getting drunk once does not make you a problem drinker. Having a drinking problem makes you a problem drinker. Alcoholics can't drink. All Alcoholics have a drinking problem. Therefore, if you are a problem drinker, you cannot drink. It is much more simple than people make it out to be. I wanted to learn to control my drinking at one time. I think I did control my drinking for a month or two after I started going to AA. Controlling my drinking did sweet f***-all to improve my mental, spiritual, or emotional well being.
Old 04-21-2008, 04:38 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I think they are one in the same. I have never met anyone with a drinking problem (usually self diagnosed) who was not an alcoholic (in my opinion) and I have never met an alcoholic who didn't have a drinking problem.
Old 04-21-2008, 04:38 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

The big book makes a very clear definition between the two.

"Then we have a certain type of hard drinker. He may have the habit badly enough to gradually impair him physically and mentally. It may cause him to die a few years before his time. If a sufficiently strong reason - ill health, falling in love, change of environment, or the warning of a doctor - becomes operative, this man can also stop or moderate, although he may find it difficult and troublesome and may even need medical attention"

"But what about the real alcoholic? He may start off as a moderate drinker;he may or may not become a continous hard drinker; but at some stage of his drinking career he begins to lose all control of his liqour consumption, once he starts to drink".

http://www.aa.org/bigbookonline/en_BigBook_chapt2.pdf

This of course is referring to the physical makeup of an alcoholic, versus a hard drinker. The true alcoholic, also - cannot leave liqour alone no matter how bad the want or need.

The whole book Alcoholics Anonymous is available online - maybe it will help you determine if you are alcoholic, or just a heavy drinker.

Big Book On Line
Old 04-21-2008, 04:47 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Another Day in Paradise

PROBLEM

While not every "problem" drinker may be an alcoholic by definition (medical), all alcoholics have a problem. If alcohol is interfering with your life then you have a problem.
Really a pretty simple and sad definition.
Old 04-21-2008, 04:49 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

I'm so pleased you came over to our Alcoholism Forum
....Hi again!

I considered myself an alcoholic when I continued to drink
despite actions that were opposite of my core values.

You are making progress....I see you have a sponsor
and for me....the AA Steps gave me solid recovery.

I hope you too will find that true...
Old 04-21-2008, 05:56 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

The "Craving" that most cannot fathom is present in Alcoholics.
In the book "Under the Influence" the liver function in the process of Alcohol is described to be abnormal. The processing of alcohol into acetaldehyde and then acetate is normal in a non-alcoholic. In an Alcoholic the Acetaldehyde builds up to an intolerable level and ends up in the brain as an isoquiniline. This isoquiniline causes you to crave more alcohol.
I cannot confirm nor dispell this. I can confirm my cravings however.
Old 04-21-2008, 06:04 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

In my opinion it's just a matter of semantics. "Problem drinker" doesn't sound as bad as "alcoholic". But I think they're pretty much the same. Alcoholics have a problem with alcohol: they can't drink it. Problem drinkers have a problem with their drinking. To me, another thought is that if alcohol is giving you problems you probably shouldn't be drinking it.

The issue seems to be one of perception. People see those two terms differently or the same. It's all in your perspective.

I know I'm an alcoholic. I cannot drink. I don't want to go back to that awful place I was in last year.
Old 04-21-2008, 06:09 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Here's how alcoholism typically progresses:

SOCIAL DRINKERS — Most Americans are characterized as social drinkers. Statistics indicate, however, that one of every 16 drinkers will become alcoholic.

WARNING SIGNS — The individual begins to drink more frequently and more than his associates. He drinks for confidence or to tolerate or escape problems. No party or other occasion is complete without a couple of drinks.

EARLY ALCOHOLISM — With increasing frequency, the individual drinks too much. "Blackouts," or temporary amnesia, occur during or following drinking episodes. He drinks more rapidly than others, sneaks drinks and in other ways conceals the quantity that he drinks. He resents any reference to his drinking habits.

BASIC ALCOHOLISM — The individual begins to lose control as to the time, place and amount of his drinking. He gets drunk unintentionally. He hides and protects his liquor supply. He drinks to overcome the hangover from his prior drinking. He tries new patterns of drinking as to time and place of drinking. He attempts cures by moving to new locations or by changing his drinking companions.

CHRONIC ALCOHOLISM — The individual becomes a loner in his drinking. He develops alibis, excuses and rationalizations to cover up or explain his drinking. Personality and behavior changes occur that affect all relationships — family, employment, community. Extended binges, physical tremors, hallucinations and delirium, complete rejection of social reality, malnutrition with accompanying illness and disease and early death all occur as chronic alcoholism progresses.

Alcohol
Old 04-21-2008, 07:06 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Thanks, all, for your replies!
Old 04-21-2008, 10:02 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Welcome to the forum, babylonsister
Old 04-22-2008, 03:47 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

Welcome to the forum, babylonsister, follow this link and take the quiz Alcoholics Anonymous :

Alcoholism is a progressive disease, as long as an alcoholic drinks their disease gets worse never better. The above quiz I can attest to being pretty darn accurate in regards to the progressive portion of the disease. If I had taken it at 19 I would have been classified as what I am.... an alcoholic! At 19 I would have answered 4-5 with a yes, my last year drinking I would have answered 18 of them with a yes and I know I would have aced the test if I had drank another year.

Look it is not how much one drinks, how long they have drank, nor how often one drinks that really determines if one is an alcoholic or not, it is what happens when we drink.

Here is my test:

1. When you have a drink are you thinking about the next one before you finish the one you are drinking?

2. When you have that first drink do you have any idea how many more you will have?

3. Have you ever not remembered things from the night before? (blackouts)

4. Does it take more and more booze for you to get drunk?

5. Do you drink to get drunk?

6. Do you drink alone?

7. When you are not drinking are you thinking about drinking?

8. When you are drinking with other people are the only people who can drink as much as you people you think are alcoholics?

9. Have you ever got up and left a half empty drink and not worried about it?

10. Do you think people who don't drink their whole drink are wasteful?