Notices

Alcoholism or drinking problem?

Old 04-22-2008, 05:20 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
One Day At A Time

The definition i go by is real simple, it's one i was always told to refer to if in doubt, by other alcoholics in A.A.- it's in the Big Book of A.A. (written by alcoholics). Basically if when u truly want to stop drinking u find you cannot and if once your start drinking u find it almost impossible to stop - you are probably alcoholic. Simple as that in my eyes. A simple explanation for complicated people!
Old 04-22-2008, 06:16 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

To me, you either have a drinking problem or you don't. People who have no drinking problem look at their beer as a chocolate milkshake-take it or leave it.

The severeity of the drinking problem may vary, but it comes down to an unhealthy preoccupation with alcohol. Someone who needs to binge once every two weeks an alcoholic? Do you have to drink every day to be an alcoholic?

I think when someone reaches that point that they need alcohol, theres no going back to being a "regular" drinker. You either quit or the disease progresses.

-Eroica
Old 04-22-2008, 06:18 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

All great insights here. Wish I'd been around a few years ago.

But, one short statement by Carol really cuts through all the diagnostic stuff.

Are your actions frequently opposite of your core values? Both while drinking and when not? Do you arrange your life around procuring alcohol and situations to drink it? Normal people don't. For them a drink just happens or not.

When drinking are you continually aware of it? Do you do things you wouldn't do at the office?

Locus of control is often used when diagnosing mental illness. Is the control within you or external to you? In my case it was external. Insanity. While not a "heavy" drinker I realize that I assessed everyday and every situation as to whether I could drink or smell of drink. Alcohol influenced my most mundane decisions. More often than not I would stay home instead of "functioning" because I was "safe" there.

Just go 30 days without. If you find yourself continually thinking of a drink, or of the 30th day, chances are the locus of control is external to you. Not what I want in life, do you?

warren
Old 04-22-2008, 07:07 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by babylonsister View Post
Could someone explain the difference between alcoholism and a drinking problem? Thanks
If there's a problem that includes drinking, alcoholism is a good bet. Why split hairs? If I drink and it causes me problems, either I stop drinking, or if I can't stop drinking, why is drinking so important? When I stopped drinking, all my drinking problems stopped. What was the question again??
Old 04-22-2008, 07:22 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Silly Rabbit

adam, thank you.
Old 04-22-2008, 09:22 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Adam hit the nail on the head......what better definition is there?

"Now these are commonplace observations on drinkers which we hear all the time. Back of them is a world of ignorance and misunderstanding. We see that these expressions refer to people whose reactions are very different from ours. Moderate drinkers have little trouble in giving up liquor entirely if they have good reason for it. They can take it or leave it alone. Then we have a certain type of hard drinker. He may have the habit badly enough to gradually impair him physically and mentally. It may cause him to die a few years before his time. If a sufficiently strong reason—ill health, falling in love, change of environment, or the warning of a doctor—becomes operative, this man can also stop or moderate, although he may find it difficult and troublesome and may even need medical attention. But what about the real alcoholic? He may start off as a moderate drinker; he may or may not become a continuous hard drinker; but at some stage of his drinking career he begins to lose all control of his liquor consumption, once he starts to drink."

Chapter Two, BB of Alcoholics Anonymous First Edition
Old 04-22-2008, 09:34 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  
Your attitude, not your aptitude, will determine your altitude

Making unhealthy choices goes by many names. The point is to seek help and forget the labels.
Old 04-22-2008, 10:31 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

I will share my experience (a little of it anyhow).

Until I made the determination and differentiation that I have alcoholism and not just a drinking problem, and felt it internally - there was no helping me.

I couldn't get sober before, no matter how badly I wanted to.

This is step 1 folks - are you alcoholic or not? Alcoholics (I come from AA angle obviously) - are hopeless, only divine intervention is going to save them. I have no choice in my alcoholism - it's real and I will never be cured of it.

The problem drinker - can put life back together and cut back or stop alltogether (this is the person who makes poor choices, has weak will power etc etc). Just start making the right choices, for the greater good.

I personally know plenty of both types.

Until I started a recovery program based on the absolute truth of my condition, I couldn't get well. Maybe others can - but I couldn't, and I tried. You'll just have to trust me on that one.

~Adam
Old 04-22-2008, 01:22 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  
Practice Sobriety

i have some from the first three stages. I would have some beer to try to calm the HOLY COW I FEEL AWEFUL after a night of drinking. I snuck the hootch into some places. It is amazing how once you admit you are an alchohilic how the symtoms were right infront of you