Old 04-20-2008, 04:12 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Smile Welcome to SR!

And back into AA too!
Old 04-20-2008, 08:02 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
It`s ok to stay sober

Sindelu2
glad you got honest with yourself and us.
so good to have you back,welcome!
Into action!
Old 04-21-2008, 11:11 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Rob B View Post
First off, this is not an attack, I am sharing my experience only.

One of my ongoing concerns is the rhetoric I hear at meetings, my disease is doing pushups in the parking lot, and so on... So many people live in fear, this is not freedom, this is not the experience the promises describe.
I'd like to clarify that I don't live in fear, but I have a healthy fear of what will happen should I choose to drink again.

We deal with a disease that is cunning, baffling and powerful. My analogy of it doing pushups in the back of my mind is a reminder of that.
Old 04-22-2008, 12:22 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  
1 bite&all resistance crumbles

Originally Posted by Freedom1990 View Post
I'd like to clarify that I don't live in fear, but I have a healthy fear of what will happen should I choose to drink again.

We deal with a disease that is cunning, baffling and powerful. My analogy of it doing pushups in the back of my mind is a reminder of that.
I'd also like to clarify that I do not live in fear and that my desire to drink has been removed - through God's grace and contingent upon my spiritual condition.

However, the point about armslength I actually mean LITERALLY! What if some madness gets me to pick up a drink and down it?!?! Trust me at Christmas time I had a hard time with my family, no mobile reception, no aa people and I had to pray SO HARD that some madness would not walk me (unwillingly!) to the bar and just order a drink. It happens. A moment of madness.

That's why vigilance (and I do this through contact with God, meetings, stepwork, etc) and not fear is what keeps me sober.

Hope this clarifies!

Cathy31
x
Old 04-22-2008, 01:03 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Rob B View Post
First off, this is not an attack, I am sharing my experience only.

One of my ongoing concerns is the rhetoric I hear at meetings, my disease is doing pushups in the parking lot, and so on... So many people live in fear, this is not freedom, this is not the experience the promises describe.
This is just how some people feel... I think that some people may say that, but it's not out of fear, but out of prudent respect for the condition of alcoholism. I don't live in fear of getting drunk, but I respect the fact that it is not safe for me to be drinking. There's lots of things that people say at meetings. That's why we have the BB.

A long time ago when I first started experimenting with opiates, I got in a lot of trouble early on, but then I *thought* I got well because I had the heat off me and was free of hard drugs for an extended period. I didn't respect that fact it was dangerous and maintain a healthy fear. I started by having a hit on my birthday, there was a bad turn of life events a couple weeks later, and the next thing I knew I had wasted 4.5 years of my life doing hard drugs. I had no idea what I was doing, I didn't care. I was utterly consumed by addiction, and it happened so fast I didn't even know it. That's scary.