Notices

new posting

Old 04-18-2008, 03:44 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Smile new posting

i just want to say thank you to everyone who has responded. i am posting a new thread bc i now believe that i CAN stop drinking. and i want to. i called a member of my AA home group, she thinks my plan to go to a detox is a great idea. i need to arrange for child care for my son and there is about a week wait for a 'bed', but i have a BAD cold now anyway, and have been home sick for the past two days, but, on the upside, drinking less just cuz i feel like crap. yet, on the upside, this could mean that, when i get into detox, maybe it won't be as bad as i think since i've cut back. actually with my schedule and demands, 5 days to myself will likely be a welcome break, even with the shakes and sweats and anxiety (which i get now around 7pm anyway). i know this question may sound odd, but it is something of a concern to me... i often sub booze for food and am really rather thin, which is important to me bc of my job ...will ceasing drinking cause me to gain weight? just wondering. anyway, just keeping you all posted and thanks. hopefully i will be in detox by the 21st and am trying to cut back in the meantime. planning to resume AA meetings on monday so wish me luck. thanks guys!
Old 04-18-2008, 03:53 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Wishing you nothing but the best in your future, gal!!!!!

Sobriety and recovery have brought me so many gifts that I never would've dared to ask for!

:ghug2
Old 04-18-2008, 06:19 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

It sounds like you have a good plan MissKriss!
Old 04-18-2008, 06:21 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Life the gift of recovery!

Sounds like you are on a path toward sobriety. You and your family will be in my thoughts and prayers. Good luck on your journey. Keep us posted as you can.
Old 04-18-2008, 06:28 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Not sure about the possiblity of gaining weight. I did at first but now I'm getting more exercise and my weight is more like it usually is. A good exercise program would be helpful. Someone else here suggested that also, like using the money you used to spend on alcohol to get a membership in a gym or some sort of exercise facility.

Your decision to go to detox is a good one as withdrawing from alcohol, as you know, is very unpleasant and can even be dangerous.

All the best to you. You can do it!!:ghug3
Old 04-18-2008, 06:50 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Glad to here you will be going to detox - whatever it takes to keep you sober.

As far as the weight gain question. I have actually lost 12 pounds in 55 days off my already small to medium sized frame.
Old 04-18-2008, 07:02 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Dear Kriss

I am really happy to hear you are on your journey.

As for the weight question: without alcohol stressing your liver, the longer you go without alcohol it will help to normalize your metabolism. You may find at first that you are eating more carbs and drinking more juices, and thats fine.

Be gentle with yourself, nourish yourself and be patient. One day at a time, don't drink.

Stay in touch!
Old 04-18-2008, 07:45 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Today's Muse

When I first got off of the booze, I started an exercise program. I slimmed down and firmed up. I also never ate much. I would go days without food, only booze, but I was bloated and had no tone. Alcohol has a lot of empty calories. I think if you eat healthy and exercise, you will be in great shape. Don't worry about it for now. Get your head and body clear, than take charge.
Old 04-18-2008, 07:47 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Definently good planning....

You could begin a healthy eating plan now.
I suggest you Google for hypoglycemia+diet.
Old 04-18-2008, 08:10 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

thanks girls (and guys). i do work out about 5* per week now, it's part of my job. but i do find i often replace dinner with wine. just wine. no dinner, which is prob why i get so wasted. also, im a pescetarian. when i get out of detox, i will plan my meals as low carb high protein, i am usually very disciplined but notice when i try to cut out booze...sugar cravings like crazy! you can see my blog at pescetarianliving.blogspot.com
Old 04-18-2008, 08:34 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Don't get undies in a bunch

Originally Posted by misskris76 View Post
i often sub booze for food and am really rather thin, which is important to me bc of my job ...will ceasing drinking cause me to gain weight?
Only if you sub the wrong foods for the booze.
A healthy diet is important...drinking or not.