Notices

Mistakes

Old 04-18-2008, 02:22 PM
  # 41 (permalink)  
The Bullseye

Originally Posted by bballdad View Post
tell your sponsor,change your sobriety date, and pick up a white chip
do not listen to those who tell you otherwise
this is a program which demands rigorous honesty,and you might as well start now-it is also a life or death matter in the big picture,you can see the big picture can`t you?

I did the same thing in 1987
my sponsor found out by gossip,he told me this-
you either pick up a white chip or find another sponsor,I`m too busy to have you embarking on my sobriety..I don`t play those games

I picked up a white chip,and quit smoking dope

Maybe not what you all would do, but to me it was not a relapse. I am not going to jeapordize my progress, since I recognize what I've done, and actually didn't use alcohol in the end.

it was a relapse or a slip,any way you put it..
looks like you ain`t thru drinking to me ...go get you a bottle and finish the job
You're right, I might as well do just stop at the store and get a bottle on the way home.
What lesson is that teaching me? Life is better without alcohol, and I value the honesty and integrity I had coming out and admitting something I did wrong, or shunning me even though I'm new and have never worked the steps before? Did you bother asking that question first? I guess I asked for it. I asked for opnions, and indeed I find myself getting them here.
Old 04-18-2008, 02:47 PM
  # 42 (permalink)  

Dodge, From what I see you are close to 50 days without alcohol...You should be proud!

I am no longer an aa person, and since you posted that you were in aa I stayed out of the post, until now.

Do not let anyone deter you from YOUR destination. You slipped...okay...move forward...ignore the judgement, take what YOU want and leave the rest.

You know where drinking takes you...and people who tell you to drink know also...do you really care what they think?

Stay strong, stay focused...the light at the end of the tunnel is no longer a train!
Old 04-18-2008, 02:52 PM
  # 43 (permalink)  

dito dito bugs, I'm in AA, but I till see this similarly to you. Don't think its really an AA thing, just a difference in people

Keep it up dodgey!!!:ghug3
Old 04-18-2008, 03:23 PM
  # 44 (permalink)  

ananda, just for clarification I never said it was an aa thing. I mentioned aa to let Dodge know I am no longer a member. Some feel my ESH is not valuable when discussing recovery thru the "program" of aa so I choose to not participate. (aa member 10 months)

However, like Dee I am stunned at the number of times I have seen members of SR told to go and drink...not "try some controlled drinking if your not sure" but "go buy huge amounts of alcohol" and "go get you a bottle and finish the job." Since we all know the horror of alcoholism, what could possible be the excuse for this behavior? There is NONE.
Old 04-18-2008, 03:30 PM
  # 45 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dodge_Ram_Hemi View Post
So I guess the voice of Music was the truest one here, and the voice I was going to hear from my sponsor. Throw me under the bus is the consensus.
Actually, you threw yourself under the bus when you smoked the pot, my friend!

The biggest test for me is when I look at myself in the mirror and know whether I've been completely honest with myself, let alone others, that day.

Every single alkie on this earth has the right to cheat him/herself out of as much quality sobriety as he/she wants.

I first got clean/sober on June 11, 1986. In June of 1990, I relapsed on cocaine, and the alcohol was next in line. I stayed out there for two months and I thank God I made it back into recovery. Many do not.

I walked back into the rooms and was honest about my relapse. I was already screwed up in my mind (emotionally drunk, if you will) a good 90 days before I relapsed. Everyone knew it was coming anyway. No big surprise announcement to all of them!

It's already been mentioned here that many feel using a chemical of any sort to 'escape' or 'relax' is not true sobriety, and that is my take also.

My sponsor had a hard a$$ed sponsor with 30 years sobriety (and died with over 50) and didn't cut him any slack. My sponsor has done the same with me, and I do the same with my sponsees.

I won't sponsor someone who's not honest, open, and willing.

It's often said that AA is there for those who want it, not those who need it.

Sobriety isn't for wimps. It's hard work. It requires a person to do and think things that are contrary to what an active drunk does/thinks.

Best of luck to you.
Old 04-18-2008, 08:28 PM
  # 46 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

This thread asked old time AA members
a specific question. Some of us gave ours.

Other members joined in who have no
experiences to share on the topic.
That is the nature of discussion forums.

What Dennis chooses to do with the
replies is of course...his decision.

I'm certain we all wish you well Dennis!
Do keep in touch....k?

This thread is now closed...
The question answered.

Last edited by CarolD; 04-18-2008 at 08:59 PM. Reason: Added Info