Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Alcoholism Information > Alcoholism
Reload this Page >

A lot instead of a little, anyone gone through this?

Notices

Old 04-14-2008, 10:47 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
1000 Post Club

Tonight I had the opportunity to drink a little, but my brain remembered that I could instead, binge/smoke and have a party like I used to do... so I turned down the drink, so it's obvious I have a problem with drinking if I can't stop at a little and am so used to binging... just another step in my alcoholism to attempt to stop, I was talking to someone about this and it just happened to come up... and usually when I post here I get bashings about AA and such... I don't even know why I'm posting this... maybe just insecure.
Old 04-14-2008, 10:48 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
1000 Post Club

The question is will I still suffer for years and years since I have a binging problem if I NEVER drink again? Interesting question eh?
Old 04-14-2008, 10:56 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
We Do Recover

Good question, Paulos. I know for me--I cannot drink in small amounts. My last drink turned into an all day/night drinking binge>even though I didn't have any intentions of doing so. I just thought that maybe I could have a few drinks, then stop. But, boy was I wrong. I don't think you will ever have to worry about binging again if you don't pick up that first drink. That's my take on it. :ghug2
Old 04-14-2008, 11:00 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
1000 Post Club

Thanks ang )
Old 04-14-2008, 11:15 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

glad you didn't drink Paulos.
Glad you're looking at how you used to drink too...look at the whys as well and you're on the right track, I reckon

D
Old 04-14-2008, 11:22 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Philippines/Canada

Good Job Paulos. I don't really know where you are at in your journey, sounds like you know that you will never be able to drink without consequence again. Not easy saying goodbye to alcohol and mean it in your heart.
Old 04-15-2008, 04:11 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

If you don't drink you won't suffer the effects of drinking, if you drink you will suffer the effects of drinking. If you change nothing else then nothing will change, you will suffer what ever you suffer from already if you do not change.
Old 04-15-2008, 04:39 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I couldn't just "not drink", although in the end, that is where we all must start. I did not attend any meetings and because of this, it took me a lot longer to figure out what not drinking means for me than if I had just gone. But that is the past.

I needed to first, sober up long enough to know what it means and to be able to think straight. Then, I had to come to terms with myself and who I was. I had to forgive myself so that guilt would not drive me to drink. I had to access my life and find areas to grow and find other areas to leave behind. I had to speak to my family and friends and admit that I had been overdoing it and was looking to stop (I found nothing but support). I had to admit that life was simply better sober and work my program for recovery which is personal to me.

I would suggest to you the easier route than I took (the one you don't want to do) because I'm just getting this years after coming to SR and should have just taken the advice I was given then. My way My way My way and I'm on day 7 again... but I get it now. How many years you want to try before you get it? If you fall again, seek alternate help. I'd go back and do it different.
Old 04-15-2008, 10:16 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Life the gift of recovery!

"Nothing changes if nothing changes." That is the best answer I have to your question. In the nearly a year that you have been posting here you have refused to listen to anyone who offered you solutions, the only people you have listened to are people who will provide you a shoulder to cry on about how hard it is to quit drinking and what a struggle you are having. Paulos, no one has tried to cram AA down your throat all people have said is "has the Paulos plan of recovery worked yet?" Which so far it has failed every time. There are many programs of recovery out there and I have repeatedly posted links to them. AA is not the only one but it is one of the ones that work. When are you are going to be ready to quit feeling sorry for yourself and pick up a solution?
Old 04-15-2008, 11:52 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I think you are too worried about withdrawal. I don't believe you are drinking enough to worry about withdrawal. I could be wrong & it's best to consult with a doctor.
Old 04-15-2008, 12:24 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

The inability to stop drinking once I ingest alcohol is basically the textbook definition of alcoholism.
Old 04-15-2008, 12:46 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I can only stop drinking when I am broke, in a hospital or in handcuffs.
Old 04-15-2008, 01:09 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I can never only have one drink, I cannot even cut myself off at 5. I drink to exess and I can't stand it anymore.
Old 04-15-2008, 01:35 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I'm allergic to alcohol. I'm also allergic to nuts. I don't consume either of them. One will stop me from breathing, one will slowly kill me.
Old 04-15-2008, 02:09 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
1000 Post Club

Thanks Tiburon and Picnik...
Old 04-15-2008, 03:04 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

The concept of just one drink totally eludes me
Old 04-15-2008, 03:09 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Paulos
I never wanted "A DRINK," I always wanted "TO DRINK."
Old 04-15-2008, 03:19 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Naturally Occuring Phenomenon

Why have just one drink? The only point of drinking is to get completely messed up. That is the way I always looked at it from a young age. I drank to get f*cked up from a young age. That is the only way I ever drank. I drink to get trashed. Why else spend the money on it?

Water is free.

Soda and tea are cheaper.
Old 04-15-2008, 03:19 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Ah yes,

ONE beer...Right.

warren
Old 04-15-2008, 07:41 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
1000 Post Club

Heh so true warren.