Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Alcoholism Information > Alcoholism
Reload this Page >

A lot instead of a little, anyone gone through this?

Notices

A lot instead of a little, anyone gone through this?

Old 04-15-2008, 09:13 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
1000 Post Club

What I don't like is how I cannot defeat the craving when I get them because they are STRONG in one fell swoop and 100% say "NO NEED TO DRINK"...
Old 04-15-2008, 09:54 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Throughout my drinking career I tried to moderate and just have a couple. Why couldn't I be a normal drinker and stop after one. I seldom set out with the intent to get drunk. That's just how things turned out.
Trust me, this went on for about 25 years. I was powerless. I just couldn't stop drinking.
Now that my head has cleared and my lust for Alcohol is gone I see the desire to have a couple drinks like normal people a complete waste of time and money.
The average "Social Drinker" is defined as one who drinks 2-3 drinks a week.
I can't figure out for the life of me why someone would even bother. It's totally pointless. Alcohol had twisted my thoughts and led me to believe I wanted that lifestyle of a normal drinker.
My desire to drink "Normally" is gone just the same as my gluttony is.
Old 04-15-2008, 10:22 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Administrator

cravings never last Paulos - you don't have to give in to them. Learning that was probably the biggest lesson of my early recovery - just because you have cravings does not mean the only way to make them go away is to drink.

They pass - not nice yes, uncomfortable sure, sometimes even almost unbearable in the early days - but they pass...and pretty quickly.

you start thinking you can't defeat them ? You won't...

D
Old 04-15-2008, 10:55 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
*~10 YEARS BABY~*

Originally Posted by Paulos View Post
so I turned down the drink,
Great Job Paulos! Keep up the great work! :atv
Old 04-15-2008, 11:04 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

the good news is they don't last , its true , and the longer you live without the closer you get to learning serenity without any drug. also the longer you live without , the longer you live!
Old 04-16-2008, 06:43 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

Okay I will stick my hand on a hot stove, ouch that hurts!

Okay I will again stick my hand on a hot stove just to see if I can touch it and not get burnt this time, ouch that still hurts!

Okay I will again stick my hand on a hot stove just to see if I can touch it and not get burnt this time, ouch that still hurts!

Man I know if I kept getting burnt doing the same thing over and over again and getting the same results every time I would try something different because obviously my way is not working.

Tired of getting burnt over and over again?

Try something different.
Old 04-16-2008, 09:02 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Having one or two drinks with friends or alone in a nice pub with a newspaper is great. It's relaxing and the taste of a good quality ale is unbeatable! So no, it's not a waste of time or money for many people.
Old 04-17-2008, 02:38 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Erriksen ...here is your first post

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...greetings.html

Soooo...it appears you too are not
a casual drinker.
I don't understand your point.

Last edited by CarolD; 04-17-2008 at 03:10 AM. Reason: Link Added
Old 04-17-2008, 03:55 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

Having one or two drinks with friends or alone in a nice pub with a newspaper is great. It's relaxing and the taste of a good quality ale is unbeatable! So no, it's not a waste of time or money for many people.
It kills an alcoholic eventually, for an alcoholic there is no such thing as one or two!!!!
Old 04-17-2008, 05:02 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

Good job Paulos!

Poor Paulos!
Old 04-20-2008, 09:25 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  
FreeSpirit

Lightbulb

Honestly! Paulos you are my Buddy and All, But I Can't sugar code this one Specially when It comes to this "Deadly Disease",that Has Robe me From a Normal functioning Life, Having to be diagnose with so many other InNormalities of other Diseases, Like been Bipolar,(Chemical Dis- balance in your Brain!),and Many Other More,paulos Honey I also could Identified with you when It comes to the Craving, But this to should Pass, and the obsession will be lift it,and I'm pretty sure you've heard this From time, to time, today I confronted a Hurtful, devastated Day, and yes I ain't going to front I had the fkess! and when I Get to that point no one could stop me. But was it worth it to Give in, Just Because I'm Having a Hurtful Day, and as I'm writing to you I could steel feel the Anger, the Pain, and all the Negative uncomfortable emotions we sure don't Like to Feel, and I still Got the Nasty, Negative, Attitude, and as I write I could still feel the desires to Get High, and very Drunk, but as I Log in I thank God for People like you, and many other more, who with there war stories of Strength, and Hope, Help me Stay another Day Clean so Kiddo do your Self a Favor,Get Honest with your self Serious this is not a Game of Jack in the Box this is your Life and a true Friend tells it to you Like it is and Paulos I know you know that I always try to Defend you But Buddy not on this one we care for you Paulos dont play with your life you only got one,THINK!
Old 04-21-2008, 02:43 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Glad you made it thru your difficult day B-7
Old 04-22-2008, 02:23 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  
FreeSpirit

Lightbulb

Yeah! CarolID It could of been worts

but I put the fight to flight Jacket lol Oh by the way . for your support
Old 04-22-2008, 06:56 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Paulos View Post
The question is will I still suffer for years and years since I have a binging problem if I NEVER drink again? Interesting question eh?
No, if you never drink again everything will turn out fine and you will look back at this time of your life as the most rewarding thing you've ever gone through. However, if you're alcoholic, you will suffer for years and years if you drink. It took me thirty of them years, some good times but mostly bad, especially towards the end, horrible...

God's peace paulos