Notices

Just Took My First Dose Of Campral!

Old 04-10-2008, 03:01 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Just Took My First Dose Of Campral!

And the good news is, I'm not having the same horrible reaction that I had with Naltrexone. The first time I took Naltrexone, I was fairly certain I was going to die. It literally felt like all 30,000 or so beers I've drank over the years, were being wrung from me like a wet sponge all at once. It was wretchedly awful.

But with the campral, so far so good! Hopefully it will help me make it through an entire weekend, at which point I'd be calm enough to tolerate social situations without panicking, then could start looking into ways to supplement with other treatment options.
Old 04-10-2008, 03:38 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

I've not used either drug....so can't share on them.
I do hope you will find a way to stay sober
and enjoy a healthy productive life.

Blessings
Old 04-10-2008, 09:15 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
same planet...different world

hey NTL -

The Campral takes a week or two to 'set up' in yer head - but yes it worked for me as well. There's plenty who is hasn't 'worked' for - but used along with your program - I was quite relieved by the help it gave.

Glad to hear it!
Old 04-11-2008, 02:46 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

Good deal NTL, I was on revia when I came out of detox...... I kept forgetting to take it and really did not notice any difference one way or the other so I just stopped taking it. The only real relief I had was during and after meetings for weeks, but it slwoly got better and then became over whelming, that was when I was faced with a decision, do as the old timers suggested and start working the steps with a sponsor...... or drink, I broke down, switched sponsors, went to work on the steps and the cravings/obsession was lifted.

Just keep in mind the hardest part is staying stopped, if the campral helps combined with some program that is great.
Old 04-11-2008, 05:06 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hey NTL, I was on campral, and as far as cravings it did wonders for me. I made the mistake of thinking medication alone would take care of my disease. The last time I used it was for the first month I was in AA to get me past the tough cravings. Now with a little over two months off the med and on the recovery program of AA cravings are the least of my problems. For me campral was good to get me over the hump. I hope you the best with it. Don't make the same mistake I did in thinking the med alone would solve my problem.
Old 04-30-2008, 11:35 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

me too!

My doc just put me on campral have not had first dose yet, waiting till after gym. hope it helps!

jason
Old 04-30-2008, 12:21 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I've found that Campral helps me. THat and asking God for strength to overcome my addiction to alcohol. So far, so good.
Old 04-30-2008, 12:47 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Jason...Welcome to our Alcoholism Forum
Old 05-03-2008, 07:09 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

After my regimine of Serax at the detox center, the doctor sent me home with Campral and Revia. I only take the Revia with my nightly dose of Campral. So far, I haven't had any problems with it. But, like tkdan said, the meds alone don't work. Get into AA and find a sponsor that works well with you. THAT, along with the meds will work, if you are serious about it.
Old 05-04-2008, 06:21 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I swear by campral , it has helped me , along with AA meetings so can't really say it was all Campral but, i have tried this several times without camparal and the cravings were worse. It took about 5-6 days to really notice a diffrence, what i have found it does not work in everyone, just like alcohol does not work for most of us but for me campral seemed to help.. Hope all is well.

Take care,
John