Notices

Need Some Help, Feeling Awful

Old 04-16-2008, 09:31 AM
  # 41 (permalink)  

Tazman, I have to say that your posts always make me smile. Thank you.

There is a meeting at noon about 6 miles from here. I am heading out the door RIGHT NOW to attend it! (I'm driving myself since I haven't drank anything yet today). I will update here later about it.
Old 04-16-2008, 09:33 AM
  # 42 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by sobergirl77 View Post

But how do I get that motivation to step out my door and go to a meeting?
how about picking up the ph first?
Ring the local AA office n ask for a 12 step call... and get support to attend meetings.
a couple of female 12steppers would be happy to see u at home n hopefully give u reassurance n support to make it thru the doors...
i know its hard to find the motivation but all u n need is a mustard seed of DSS... and a wing to sheild u thru the door.... if u have a 12 steppers support to take u thru the door u won't be doing it alone.
they'll make feel so welcome n sit u down with a cuppa... all u need is the desire to not drink... motivation is there... u just need the support.
Old 04-16-2008, 09:35 AM
  # 43 (permalink)  

haha beat me to it tazzy! lol
12 stepper's rock!
Old 04-16-2008, 09:35 AM
  # 44 (permalink)  

My internet business would bottom out if I was away from it for even just a few days...
You won't have an internet business if you don't quit drinking.....
Old 04-16-2008, 09:42 AM
  # 45 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

Sobergrrl I am leaving at 1 today so expect to see a new thread here tomorrow about how your meeting went!

Here is a big (((((((((HUG))))))))) of encouragement!!!!
Old 04-16-2008, 09:42 AM
  # 46 (permalink)  
1 bite&all resistance crumbles

Originally Posted by sobergirl77 View Post
I am not doing very well. After successfully getting myself down to only 3 glasses of wine per night, last night I had 7. Now I am hungover, miserable and feel like I have to start over.

I know I've said it more than once but I'll say it again... tapering alcohol is the hardest thing I've ever done and once again I am miserable.
Tapering or moderating if you are an alcoholic is impossbile. Your post is further proof.

What you gonna do?? SORRY!! Just noticed you said you were going to a meeting!! Way to go, hope you make it!!! That's not the end of it and it's not easy but it IS the start!!!!! Well done.

Last edited by CarolD; 04-16-2008 at 12:12 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 04-16-2008, 01:42 PM
  # 47 (permalink)  

I went to the noon meeting and it was good... I announced that I was new. It was a discussion meeting (which I'd never been to before) and when my turn came I did some speaking. I told everyone that I was still drinking but cutting back and planning to stop soon, etc. I told everyone it was a living hell and everyone nodded and said they understood. I now have a sponsor and 6 phone numbers to call when I feel tempted... my new sponsor told me I should go to the 5:30 meeting at the same location, which I may just do...

I'm glad I went!
Old 04-16-2008, 02:17 PM
  # 48 (permalink)  

Nice to hear (read) 77. A sponsor right away. Nice work.
Old 04-16-2008, 04:50 PM
  # 49 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Super!
Old 04-16-2008, 08:57 PM
  # 50 (permalink)  

Tapering probably isn't the best idea, stopping altogether for a few days at least might be a very good move. You will probably feel lousy but with self discipline you can resume healthy alcohol consumption. All the best.
Old 04-16-2008, 11:09 PM
  # 51 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Erriksen View Post
Tapering probably isn't the best idea, stopping altogether for a few days at least might be a very good move. You will probably feel lousy but with self discipline you can resume healthy alcohol consumption. All the best.
This is a recovery board. This is for people who want to recover from alcoholism which is a DEADLY DISEASE which KILLS. If you are an alcoholic OR an addict you CANNOT resume healthy using of either substance.

FACT.
Old 04-17-2008, 02:52 AM
  # 52 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Erriksen.....
I am puzzled by this reply from you.
Just to remind you...here is your first post

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...greetings.html

Last edited by CarolD; 04-17-2008 at 03:14 AM. Reason: Link Added
Old 04-17-2008, 03:46 AM
  # 53 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

I went to the noon meeting and it was good... I announced that I was new. It was a discussion meeting (which I'd never been to before) and when my turn came I did some speaking. I told everyone that I was still drinking but cutting back and planning to stop soon, etc. I told everyone it was a living hell and everyone nodded and said they understood. I now have a sponsor and 6 phone numbers to call when I feel tempted... my new sponsor told me I should go to the 5:30 meeting at the same location, which I may just do...

I'm glad I went!
Good deal!!!! Use the phone numbers, when people give you thier number they want you to call them!!!! I had a hard time getting that through my thick head!!!! I finally figured that out when I would call folks and they would thank me for calling them!!!! (I was gald they answered and talked to me!)

You will probably feel lousy but with self discipline you can resume healthy alcohol consumption. All the best.
Not if you are an alcoholic!!!! As a matter of fact normal people do not need to discipline them selfs when drinking, they drink one or 2 and do not want any more, no discipline, when one mentally has to force them selfs to stop drinknig after a certain amount of drinks they need to really do a close examinantion of thier drinking.

Telling an alcoholic something like that is like handing them a loaded gun and saying lets play russian roulette!!!!
Old 04-17-2008, 04:48 AM
  # 54 (permalink)  
same planet...different world

:wtf2

fiction! here in THIRD DIMENSION ...
where *I* tend to dwell
whether I like it or not -
(I keep waking up in it)

- that statement is simply proven untrue.
Scientifically.
Medically.
Socially.
FICTION.

Talk like that on an alcoholism board can get people killed.

I agree with CarolD.
Old 04-17-2008, 05:22 AM
  # 55 (permalink)  

Yeah I was confused by Erikksen's comment as well... I definitely am in no position to "drink normally".

I successfully got myself back down to 2 1/2 drinks yesterday. Tonight I am going to try very hard to stick with only 1. Unfortunately I woke up with more withdrawals earlier this morning, but they didn't last too long and I did not take a drink to make them go away.

The #1 most helpful thing that the sponsor told me yesterday is that I need to take it one day at a time instead of planning it out days in advance, which doesn't work anyway (She really opened my eyes to that). I'm a big-picture control freak kind of person, so this is hard for me, but I'm going to try it! And I'm going back to the noon meeting today.
Old 04-17-2008, 05:28 AM
  # 56 (permalink)  
same planet...different world

"be where your hands are"

it takes time to learn the habit of staying in the now -
and I don't know if we EVER completely master it -
but we DO get better at it than we are when we first get sober.
Old 04-17-2008, 05:46 AM
  # 57 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

sobrgrrl think about this I have heard several old timers say this: "If you live your life with one foot in yesterday and the other in tomorrow you have no choice but to crap all over today!".

In every day of sobriety one needs to stay in the day, take it one day at a time. In early sobriety I found that the advice my councilor in detox gave me to be excellent advice "Put as much time into recovery as you did into drinking."!

Using the one day at a time concept in early sobriety here was what I did every day, made it simple to repeat one day at a time.

1. Woke up, prayed, showered and dressed and went to work, did not drink.
2. Came home from work, fixed and ate dinner, did not drink.
3. Called sponsor and 2 other folks in AA, did not drink.
4. Went to a meeting, did not drink.
5. Got ready for bed, thanked God for getting me through the day sober and went to bed.

In early sobriety that was all I could handle, that is what I did and I stayed sober.

Focus on now!!! Right now you are in early sobriety, try a daily schedule along the lines of mine and follow your sponsors suggestions, if her suggestions contradict mine, use hers, she knows you better then I do! I am just some lunatic on the internet! LOL
Old 04-17-2008, 06:34 AM
  # 58 (permalink)  

I've got a difficult road ahead of me. I'm not sure what to tell my family, as they are starting to wonder why I've been turning down invitations to get together (usually due to panic or anxiety or feeling ill). With the exception of my aunt, whom I confided in, they don't even know I'm an alcoholic. (I hid it well, my alcoholism was all about hiding, lying and deception). I don't want to tell them, as we've already had so many problems with alcoholism in my family with our parents, aunts and uncles dying young from it. My remaining family members - and I have to admit I myself did for many years - think of alcoholism as a weak, shameful and disgusting habit, not a disease.

A huge part of me just wants to get better, stop drinking and that's it. I don't want to have to participate in recovery. I have "things to do" and a life to live.

Yet at the same time, I know that I have to take the time to recover and work hard to remain sober once I am completely off the sauce. I am in no way anywhere near recovered or safe or out of the woods.

Sorry to ramble on... I'm exhausted right now and wish I could sleep, but I am too jumpy and anxious. (Shakes are back, too). It seems all I can do is wander and pace around my apartment and sit and read these boards right now! If it wasn't 8:45am in the morning I would take a librium.
Old 04-17-2008, 06:52 AM
  # 59 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

I'm not sure what to tell my family
Well I have found that the truth has set me free. Why not just tell them that you are working through some issues that are causing you some serious anxiety and panic attacks and not to worry, that once you get through this all will be well.

I don't want to tell them, as we've already had so many problems with alcoholism in my family with our parents, aunts and uncles dying young from it.
If you are a sober alcoholic there is no problem right?

A huge part of me just wants to get better, stop drinking and that's it. I don't want to have to participate in recovery. I have "things to do" and a life to live.
AA recovery done right leads to being able to do things and be able to live life on lifes terms.

AA recovery is not about going to a meeting every night for the rest of your life, I only go to 3-4 meetings a week now, initially I was going to 10-11 meetings a week.

Do not get me wrong, there are folks in AA that do go to a meeting every night, not because they have to, but because they want to.

In early sobriety I found a lot of meetings to be a real pain in the arse to go to, funny thing, but the longer I stayed sober the more I enjoyed the same meetings I thought were a pin in the butt, funny thing I found out is it takes a lot longer then a couple of weeks for our thinking to begin to change. Nothing had changed about those meetings, what had changed was me!!!!!
Old 04-17-2008, 08:43 AM
  # 60 (permalink)  

Taz thanks for all your service on these boards!