Notices

physical risks, is it okay...???

Old 04-08-2008, 12:55 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

physical risks, is it okay...???

I can not seek treatment in rehab. All I can do right now is try to do it on my own. I seldom drank more than a fifth a day, and I've been able to abstain for a couple of days at a time in the past... so am I less at risk for the serioius problems (DT's, seizure, etc.)?
Old 04-08-2008, 01:02 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

You need to talk to your dr about that question. We are not able to give medical advice here.

I'm glad you found us.
Old 04-08-2008, 01:24 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

not looking for medical advice, just experience Can't get to the doctor today, and I certainly don't want to drink either.
Old 04-08-2008, 01:48 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hey John

The way you phrased your question puts anyone who answers it at risk. Lots of what ifs? Anna is right. No one here is qualfied.

BUT. If you rephrased it to simplay ask people what they experienced, you may get some replies. Knowing full well that your mileage may vary.

A doctor is pretty essential when there is a risk of death. That's the straight skinny. No one here is going to mess with it. Many have mentioned The Salvation Army as an alternative to $$.

Good Luck!

warren
Old 04-08-2008, 03:12 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Warrens is exactly right. I know I wouldn't feel comfortable saying "yes" or "no", only you and your doctor know what kind of alcoholic and person you are. Maybe you have preexisting health issues some of the rest of don't. Maybe you haven't had the years and consumption some have. Everyone is different and very few share the same detox story. All I know is I'd NEVER do it again without at least meeting with a doctor. It was scary as hell.

I would suggest looking at the sticky on top called 'Quitting..What to expect ..What we did:"
Old 04-08-2008, 03:26 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Dr. Dr. Dr.! Withdrawals are a physical reaction. You alone cannot predict what will happen and neither can we. I never got to the point of drinking a fifth a day, and I could go a week without drinking yet I was hit by hallucinations, severe panic attacks, loss of appetite and severe shakes. These are mild from what I have been reading and I am very glad I was under close supervision.

This part of the journey to sobriety is tough, but the end results are worth it.

Welcome and keep posting!
Old 04-08-2008, 05:28 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

No it's not ok to take risks with your life.

Please read this for info...TB mentioned it

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...at-we-did.html

De tox from alcohol is a medical issue.

Welcome to our Alcoholism Forum