Notices

Whoa had a horrible day/night...

Old 04-08-2008, 12:52 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
1000 Post Club

Whoa had a horrible day/night...

Jeez... my second worst hangover ever, and my god I had a medication reaction I thought I was going to die... sometimes you need a slap in the face to realize it's time to stop your addiction.
Old 04-08-2008, 01:23 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Life the gift of recovery!

Paulos, are you ready to stop the insanity of doing the same thing over and over and getting the same results? If so maybe it is time to give yourself a real chance by trying a program of recovery.
Old 04-08-2008, 01:57 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
1000 Post Club

Don't worry I got a great home rehab program =)
Old 04-08-2008, 03:34 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

If you are hung over it must be a real winner Paulos!

Paulos I have been where you are at right now, refusing to see that I could not stay sober on my own, it never got better, it always got worse for me!

Alcoholism is a progressive disease Paulos, it KILLS people!!!!

Why not try a program of recovery, any program!

Look at the results honestly of your home rehab program honestly.

Ask your self honestly if your staying sober longer or shorter periods of time using your home rehab program?

Paulos we love you and care about you, you are not unique, you are just like I was, the only thing that saved me was a recovery program.
Old 04-08-2008, 12:29 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
1000 Post Club

Thanks for your support
Old 04-08-2008, 01:54 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I think you need to hit a lower bottom. Instead of drinking beer, drink vodka.
Perhaps instead of drinking 5 beers, drink 16. The fact is you enjoy to complain and don't seem to take suggestions. I am not a huge fan of AA but at least try a few meetings. I'm having a hard time staying sober but at least I'm trying to get better. I use to complain a lot myself, however, I'm more willing to listen to others. This response may be a bit harsh but you need to take some kind of action.

Tiburon
Old 04-08-2008, 01:54 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
One Day At A Time

Words fail me....now i know what i musta put my own loved ones through with the repeated attempts and failings...i really hope you try something different this time Paulos to stay stopped...don't even know what else to say - it's just like ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh i wish u could see the other way!!!
Old 04-08-2008, 01:56 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
One Day At A Time

nature of the beast i guess...."no human power could help"....it's gotta be your own journey, just hope you get to A.A. or something soon
Old 04-08-2008, 02:03 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Psalm 118:24

Going to be frank here

why do you bother coming in here and telling us this?

Read what you're righting. We give you advice on what to do if, you're not interested, go back out and don't bother posting.

Actually, thanks for the reminder of why a lot of us gave it up. hangovers I don't miss.

You can't keep walking the fence. I do feel for you at that age it's very difficult to make the break. We got a young guy in my home group that's, turned 21 graduating college and got a year in sober a while back.

Drinking will not make you successful in life
Old 04-08-2008, 02:09 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I've only been here a short time, and I've already seen you get several slaps in the face....

Many people here are giving you great advice.

And the "great home rehab program"......a rope swing, video games and a ******-spellcasting-grandfather???

God helps those who help themselves....now get out there and get yourself some help.
Old 04-08-2008, 03:12 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Paulos View Post
Dying is not a requirement for recovery...
Old 04-08-2008, 03:18 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Naturally Occuring Phenomenon

I don't think you want to stop drinking.
Old 04-08-2008, 03:59 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

after a long period of sobriety in AA I drank again. I drank for 8 years. I wanted desperately to be sober, but I had stopped believing it was really possible. I paid for out=patient treatment (expensive) and drank my way through it. I went to meetings drunk, got chips drunk, etc. Finally I went to in-pateint treatment. When I got out I was still terrified I wouldn't stay sober.

I went to my home group, admitted that I had drank the whole way through the past year and a half (like they didn't know )

Several people with over 20 years shared how they too had that experience and that he old timers had just told them to keep coming back.

Every meeting and all my outpatient treatment drunk got me to a place where I could get sober. None of it was wasted. I now have 8 months, and believe sobriety is possible for ME, not just others.

I thank everyone who was patient and kind to me.
Old 04-08-2008, 09:52 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
1000 Post Club

"why do you bother coming in here and telling us this?" Thought I could get support.

"Read what you're righting. We give you advice on what to do if, you're not interested, go back out and don't bother posting." Nice spelling, and don't tell me what the hell to do.

"Actually, thanks for the reminder of why a lot of us gave it up. hangovers I don't miss." Anytime ya blabbermouth.

"You can't keep walking the fence. I do feel for you at that age it's very difficult to make the break. We got a young guy in my home group that's, turned 21 graduating college and got a year in sober a while back. " Uh-huh.

"Drinking will not make you successful in life" I'm aware of that, which is why I'm stopping... jeez so many pushers of programs yet no one understands... Oh well.
Old 04-08-2008, 11:39 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Administrator

Paulos, you may not like this, but I'll level with ya.

You screwed up.

Support doesn't mean slapping you on the back and telling you that you're doing really well when you're not - and Paulos, you're not.

And frankly *noone* deserves support when they give a mouthful back to those who are trying to help.

You don't want to do a program? Fine.

I got sober without a program - but I *had* to be an adult, I had to be fully responsible, and I had to be tough - really tough.

That meant owning my problem.

- no blaming anyone else
- no asking anyone to turn a blind eye, or looking for sympathy
- no excuses - no 'I was stressed or unhappy or bored or sick or without my meds' or whatever.

and of course - no drinking NO MATTER WHAT.

Excuses can always be found, but if you're serious, you'll know that drinking solves nothing. Excuses mean nothing.

if your meds or other medical conditions are interfering with your sobriety, then you need to be an adult and consult a doctor about that - now.

I won't lie - it's a hard road doing it on your own - it sucks, and it sucks for a long time.
This last year has been the toughest of a *lot* of tough years I've had to face....

Are you ready for that? *really* ready? cos it's a trial by fire, pal...

I have a drawer full of other medical issues too - it's never easy to get sober - it's that much harder when alcoholism is just one of your problems, but it is possible.

When it comes down to it - bottom line - you've got to be prepared to do whatever it takes, no matter what the obstacles, because we're addicts - we'll use anything as an excuse to turn back.

if you think you're up for the challenge to go it alone, go for it...but you need to accept that it will be the hardest thing you'll ever do.

You need to realise that your way, the solo way, it's all down to you - everything.

Think about it - seriously. I know you're not a kid - and this is a man's decision to make.

if you decide you want some help - there's lots out there - see your doctor, a counsellor, re-read some of the suggestions posted here and elsewhere in your threads, or - dare I say it - look at a meeting.

just do *something*

I wish you the best.

D
Old 04-09-2008, 12:11 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Life the gift of recovery!

Originally Posted by Paulos View Post
"why do you bother coming in here and telling us this?" Thought I could get support.

"Read what you're righting. We give you advice on what to do if, you're not interested, go back out and don't bother posting." Nice spelling, and don't tell me what the hell to do.

"Actually, thanks for the reminder of why a lot of us gave it up. hangovers I don't miss." Anytime ya blabbermouth.

"You can't keep walking the fence. I do feel for you at that age it's very difficult to make the break. We got a young guy in my home group that's, turned 21 graduating college and got a year in sober a while back. " Uh-huh.

"Drinking will not make you successful in life" I'm aware of that, which is why I'm stopping... jeez so many pushers of programs yet no one understands... Oh well.
Your answers remind me of exactly why I will save my time and energy for someone who is looking for a solution not sympathy. Good luck to you.
Old 04-09-2008, 12:20 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
1 bite&all resistance crumbles

Paulos I think you will certainly get support here, but you won't get unending sympathy - for what you're creating yourself.

Dying is not a requirement for recovery - good one.

Cathy31
x
Old 04-09-2008, 07:42 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

No One understands

Paulos,
What is it you would like us to understand? How different your case is? I understand you have some issues, not many people don't.Terminal uniqueness has sent plenty of drunks to their grave.

I can help you with one thing only: Alcoholism and how to recover from it.
Do you want this? Are you willing to set aside what you think you know? So far your actions don't indicate this. That's ok, there is no judgement on my part. If you show by your actions you don't care I can't care. I hope you figure something out.

One last thought: Victims do not get better. At some point we have to say, ok I got a lousy hand, but I don't have to keep playing with these cards.
Old 04-09-2008, 02:19 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

There are many young people meetings in AA. I think it would be a good idea to check out one of those.

Tiburon
Old 04-09-2008, 02:58 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
One Day At A Time

Tiburon is right- im just back from my group mtng- i am 20, there was a guy there thats 18 , another guy that must be about 23 at a push...and this isn't even a 'young persons' group. A.A. has a new generation where u should be able to fit in and get recovery too - y not give it a shot?