Notices

It's taken me three years to admit . . .

Old 04-07-2008, 04:14 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

It's taken me three years to admit . . .

You know, I just wanted to thank you all. It's taken me three years to admit that I have an alcohol problem. I have no horror stories, no DUIs, and drink a bit more than one bottle of red wine a day, keeping a career during the day. But, I've come to realize that my whole day is planned around when I get at the bottle. I'll shift appointments around for when I know I'll be drinking. ****, I even consider when I'm going to get my "drink on" when I plan a couple of days visiting friends.

I can go to a party and just have one beer. No problem. The thought of one day without alcohol, however, is dreaded, and certainly I'm always most confident when I have easy access to alcohol.

Alcohol, unfortunately, is the highpoint of my day. I'm realizing now that it has a command over me and that I must stop it before I start to waste life away.

Your stories have truly been inspiring!!!!!! So please understand that even as you struggle with your own demons, you are helping others by your candor.
Old 04-07-2008, 04:22 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

BTW, I just wish I could share this forum with others who are going down the drain like I am. I wish alcohol were not so accepted in our society. As I once heard, "alcohol destroys more families than all the other drugs put together." But I guess the alcohol lobby in Congress would put the kabash on that. F*cking money . . .
Old 04-07-2008, 04:33 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I've always been told by my sponsor to share my struggles and triumphs with others, because you never know who you might reach with them.

I'm glad you have found inspiration to start doing things differently
Old 04-07-2008, 07:56 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Life the gift of recovery!

Welcome home! I am thankful you have been able to find our forum useful.
Old 04-07-2008, 09:35 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

What happens when you drink ?

If you're like me, you drink until it's gone or you pass out. (Or both).

It's not what I drink, when, or how much, or even what happens when I'm drunk. It's what it does to me. My utter inability to control and enjoy my drinking. If I control it, I don't enjoy it. If I enjoy it, I'm not controlling it.

And yeah, when I wasn't drinking, I was thinking about my next drink.
Old 04-07-2008, 09:41 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Psalm 118:24

there is a solution and there is a better way of life then, looking at the bottom of a glass!
Old 04-08-2008, 03:43 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

Welcome to SR Faulkner, I drank for at least 10 more years after I realized I had a problem, are you ready to take the actions needed to get and stay sober?

Once I hit the point where I was will to do what ever it took to get and stay sober I found a solution.

Are you at that point? If you are there is a solution, but it takes action, far more action then simply putting the bottle down.
Old 04-08-2008, 04:08 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Welcome to our Alcoholism Forum!
Old 04-08-2008, 04:23 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Lurker

Welcome!! Your story sounds almost exactly like mine, but I lived with it for years. This disease is a progressive one, and is always getting worse. I continued to drink until the functional part of my alcoholism had dropped off. I am glad that you have admitted the problem before you have gone to far.
Old 04-08-2008, 08:22 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I get it

Faulkner,

I am right there with you. Your story could be my own. I have one day of sobriety. I am glad I am not alone.

I want a different life....and I know it is up to me.

Lizzie
Old 04-08-2008, 11:00 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

It took me 18 years after I first answered the 20 questions to admit I had a problem.
The 20 questions told me I was an alcoholic.....but I just didnt believe it. I hadn't lost a job (yet), no DUI's, didnt lose a family. In fact, lots of people didnt even know I had a problem with alcohol and drugs. The 4 walls of my bedroom sure knew I had an issue! I did alot of my drinking and using in private....the rest of my energy was spent creating a false life that looked really good to anyone who didnt know.

Today, Im happy to be living an HONEST sober life.

Old 04-08-2008, 11:07 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Welcome!
Old 04-08-2008, 02:29 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Yepper, that's me! I drink in private. Nobody knows I have a problem. I appear to be in complete control when I'm with other people, generally even drinking less than others. The problem (I've come to admit) is that I'm always thinking about getting toasted when I get home.
Old 04-08-2008, 03:15 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by faulkner View Post
You know, I just wanted to thank you all. It's taken me three years to admit that I have an alcohol problem.

How come your sentences aren't longer?

Seriously, if it only took you three years you're a quick study.

WELCOME
Old 04-08-2008, 03:46 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Tks!!!! Fortunately, I've always been open to learning from my elders. Fact is, I guess I'm one of those young'ns who focuses on the fact that I can control my alcohol a little bit as evidence that I'm not an alcoholic. Fortunately, I'm not so stupid now. Even under control, if alcohol is always my bottom line, I'm in trouble. And its better to drop it now than to go down the paths that others have instructed me not to on this forum.
Old 04-08-2008, 05:06 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

faulkner, I was mostly a private drinker too. But lots of people knew I had a problem. Before I stopped drinking, I used to obsess about alcohol too. How many days can I drink, how late can I drink, do I have enough alcohol, etc. It tokk so much effort and wasted time!
Old 04-08-2008, 05:16 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Lizzie....Welcome!
Old 04-08-2008, 06:21 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Today's Muse

Congratulations on your realization. Acceptance is key in recovery.
Old 04-08-2008, 06:29 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by faulkner View Post
Yepper, that's me! I drink in private. Nobody knows I have a problem. I appear to be in complete control when I'm with other people, generally even drinking less than others. The problem (I've come to admit) is that I'm always thinking about getting toasted when I get home.
I could have written that! That's my story in a nutshell, as a matter of fact, if I told most people I know (outside of my family) that I am an alcoholic, they would tell me I was crazy...

Alcoholism is an inside job, man... so, do you have a plan for recovery?

Keep us posted and let us know if you need anything...

ken
Old 04-08-2008, 07:06 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Naturally Occuring Phenomenon

The real "drinking" happens when we are alone.

One on one.

Don't get in the ring.