Notices

My first meeting

Old 04-05-2008, 09:20 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

My first meeting

My first AA meeting went really well. I was nervous about, but everyone there made me feel very welcome. It was a good idea to go as well, as lately I had really been wanting to drink, but I knew what would happen if I started. One drink for me leads to ten, then more, then waking up the next morning and hearing stories about how drunk I had been. But the meeting showed me that I could recover if I really wanted to.

Anyone who is on the fence about attending an AA meeting should reconsider. It's a great feeling. There are people there that can serve as an inspiration to your recovery process.
Old 04-05-2008, 09:24 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

I'm so pleased you did go....
AA=Awesome Adventures

Thanks for the positive up date
Old 04-06-2008, 10:38 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
One Day At A Time

Glad you enjoyed it Michael- A.A. is a great place for recovery, i honestly don't know where i would be without it...oh yeah i do -i'd be anywhere, and i'd most certainly be drunk/hungover/anticipating next drink...Thanks for sharing your positive exp with us all
Old 04-06-2008, 10:51 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thanks for letting us know about your first AA meeting Michael! I agree - it is a great feeling - knowing there is a solution and also being with other alkies who understand and 'are in the same boat'.
Old 04-06-2008, 11:14 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Good for you, Michael!!
Old 04-07-2008, 09:51 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

Michael glad to hear you got what I got out of that first meeting..... hope!!!! Keep going back, it works when we work it.
Old 04-07-2008, 11:37 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thanks for posting your experience. I am on day 10 and thinking of going to my first meeting this week and I am really worried. Thanks again!
Old 04-07-2008, 11:46 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
1 bite&all resistance crumbles

Hey superstar, that's awesome, well done!!!
Old 04-07-2008, 05:00 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by lovescoffee View Post
Thanks for posting your experience. I am on day 10 and thinking of going to my first meeting this week and I am really worried. Thanks again!
Don't be worried, the only thing that will happen is that you will want to drink less.
Old 04-08-2008, 04:24 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

Don't be worried, the only thing that will happen is that you will want to drink less.
Michael you just did your first 12th step work! Part of the 12th step is carrying the message to other alcoholics who are still suffering. Many times a newcomer can relate to someone with just a little bit more time sober then them.

I know when I first got sober and someone said they had 20 years sober my brain shut off!!!! Hell I was having a hard time relating to being able to stay sober a month, little lone 20 years!!!! When I had 10 days I listened to the guy who had a few months sober because I saw the possibility of me staying sober a few months.

Do not get me wrong, I still tried to listen to the old timers, but it was hard for me to understand how anyone could stay sober that long.