Notices

Carried Home by my Higher Power

Old 04-05-2008, 09:41 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
where the light is

Carried Home by my Higher Power

Last night, I realized something that to me was really amazing.

Yesterday, I had an out of town work assignment. The meeting was in an office tower right in my old stomping grounds and on a Friday afternoon. I was presenting information at a meeting that was very important to a client. The meeting went very well. I was feeling great, confident, looking & feeling like a real professional. After the meeting, I was sitting in a coffee shop, having lunch before heading home, looking out the window right at a hotel I used to stay at during my three day binges.

The insane thinking started - "you feel good, time to let loose" ,"its been a stressful week, everyone will understand if you went out", “you always start drinking again sooner or later, why is this time any different?”, "just one night of freedom, you will be okay, nobody gets hurt", "all the cool bars & restaurants are right in front of you", you don't have to work tomorrow", "call your buddies & get a case of beer".

I can’t say that I was “white-knuckling” it. More like fiction trying to override the facts. I did make it home to my family & I went to an AA meeting last night, it was like I was being guided without really thinking about it.

It was nearing the end of the AA meeting when a thought came to me. How did I get from being in my old stomping grounds on a Friday afternoon fantasizing about drinking to an AA meeting in my home town surrounded by love & support? I could very easily have been 120 miles from home, sitting in a bar, blacked out. I shared this in my meeting and it hit a couple of people hard. Simple gratitude to be at an AA meeting, happy & sober, surrounded by caring people.

What really hit me later in the evening was that this “how did I get to an AA meeting?” feeling was the exact opposite of coming to after a three day bender and asking myself “how did I get back to this Hell yet again?” – the damage, the sickness, the self-hatred. The only answer I could come up with was that yesterday, my Creator carried me home. This is the difference between following the Creator’s path & living on self-will.

Part of my prayers yesterday morning, every morning – please carry me if I am overwhelmed. I was just so grateful to go to bed last night sober and to wake up this morning to the sounds of my kids playing. D
Old 04-05-2008, 09:44 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Om, Aum, Ohm...

Awesome!!
Old 04-05-2008, 09:46 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

What a wonderful story. Thanks for sharing.
Old 04-05-2008, 09:54 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

What a good and needed share.
Old 04-05-2008, 06:08 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Fantastic!
Old 04-05-2008, 06:12 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

that wasnt your creater that was you doing it, it was your own power, shows you how strong you have become
Old 04-05-2008, 08:04 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Attitude of Gratitude

Prayers are answered, aren't they?

Thanks for sharing this with us.

Old 04-05-2008, 08:44 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thats what it's all about Grav - to be carried through times we could not possibly get through on our own.

Thanks for the share.
Old 04-06-2008, 03:56 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Serenity today

Thanks Gravity, one of the most uplifting posts I've read in a long time, made me realize (again) that I am not grateful enough for the gift of sobriety God has given me. When I am not truly grateful, I lose perspective on the "what I was like, what happened, and what I am like now" continuum. When I lose that, I am vulnerable, and I need all of the defenses I can get.
Old 04-06-2008, 10:00 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

This made my day. Thank you!!!!
Old 04-06-2008, 12:27 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Adjusting my Sails

Originally Posted by gravity View Post
What really hit me later in the evening was that this “how did I get to an AA meeting?” feeling was the exact opposite of coming to after a three day bender and asking myself “how did I get back to this Hell yet again?” – the damage, the sickness, the self-hatred. The only answer I could come up with was that yesterday, my Creator carried me home. This is the difference between following the Creator’s path & living on self-will.

Part of my prayers yesterday morning, every morning – please carry me if I am overwhelmed. I was just so grateful to go to bed last night sober and to wake up this morning to the sounds of my kids playing. D
I'm grateful to be here and hear just a small part of your story D. Thank you for sharing with us the path path your HP has made for you. Your story helps confirm in me we all have our paths prepared for us if we let it happen.

Thank you again for the ESH.
Old 04-06-2008, 07:37 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

God Rocks!

And so do you!
Old 04-06-2008, 07:41 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

That post hit home, for me. I have those exact thoughts.

Great post, Gravity. Congrats on weathering a storm!!
Old 04-06-2008, 07:52 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Growing, Learning, Living

Thank you so much for your post. I am struggling in another area right now, & your post was definately another encouragement for me to let go & let God. Give everything to Him. Thank you.
Old 04-07-2008, 09:22 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

Wow that was a great share!!!! A prime example of God doing for us what we could not do for our self.
Old 04-07-2008, 09:52 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

It's funny how things work out if I stay out of my own way....

Thanks for sharing what I commonly call a "God Shot".

I've found ther more I look,a nd pay attention, the more of these "little things" I see happen in my life.