Notices

45+ beers per day...and counting

Old 09-02-2014, 03:51 PM
  # 81 (permalink)  

No sense in getting upset about it Merc, the point being made by most of us is his story is not a happy one and it does none of us any good to feed into it. He has not been here for 6 years to discuss it so we shouldn't either. Picking fights with the rest of the support peers here also does no one any good.

As Carol D. would say, "Let's all just enjoy another sober evening, shall we?"
Old 09-02-2014, 03:59 PM
  # 82 (permalink)  

The first thing I thought when I saw this thread, read the posts from the OP, and saw the years past....was he's probably not here anymore. That's just not fair to assume though. You can only hope he got the help he needed. You can easily sign up to a site, make a few posts, and never come back. It happens all the time.
Old 09-02-2014, 04:30 PM
  # 83 (permalink)  

teeth

wow Bro i was touched by your post. 40 even 60 beers a day, wow that is alot of beer. that takes alot of work.
i say to see your doctor about your condition, especially you said you have back pains, bleed easy and fatty liver. but you said you have no insurance, there is help. please seek it. it can be dangerous jsut stopping.
Old 09-02-2014, 07:15 PM
  # 84 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by RandomAlcoholic View Post
hehe, just came across this and its now Sept of 2014... where does the time go
welcome, RA,

any chance you're the OP?
Old 09-02-2014, 08:49 PM
  # 85 (permalink)  
Administrator

I removed a lot of pointless speculation and some bickering about that speculation.

If you feel a post break our rules, please report it - otherwise, you can put that poster on ignore.

Dee
SR
Old 09-02-2014, 09:59 PM
  # 86 (permalink)  
Recovered from Hopeless State

I think I'll put this thread on ignore.
Old 03-08-2015, 04:48 AM
  # 87 (permalink)  

I would not call it a waste of anyone's time that the OP has not responded to this thread in 6 + years. I came across it just by Googling "i drink 30 beers a day." I don't drink 30 beers a day so I imagine that I was looking for something that would make me feel better about the fact that I do drink beer every day, just not that much. The original post, whether it was real or exaggerated or outright fiction, was a real eye-opener for me. Just the thought that things could get that bad scares the heck out of me. The thoughtful and caring responses from the other members may or may not have helped the OP, but they certainly helped me make the decision to reach out. I just joined the forum.

I've been drinking beer every day for the last 20 or 25 years. I've never been a beer counter, per se, but I know that there was a long stretch were I was a pretty solid 12-pack-a-day guy. I've always drank as much as I wanted whenever I wanted, be it 2 cans or 20. I refer to that part of my life as the "as much whenever" phase.

Financial difficulties and some hard choices between my beer and food for my family have forced me to take a hard look at myself and my addiction. I have managed to reduce my consumption to 4 cans a night after work and a 30-pack over the weekend...all very strictly regulated. The part that is bothering me is the realization that it wouldn't matter if I reduced it down to 1 beer a night and a 6-pack over the weekend, it's not how much or little that I drink but the fact that I feel like I have to have it.

I don't know where I will go from here, but I am glad I stumbled across this thread and joined this group. I appreciate the effort that other members put into their thoughtful responses. Thank you.
Old 03-08-2015, 10:25 AM
  # 88 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Originally Posted by sak99 View Post
I don't know where I will go from here, but I am glad I stumbled across this thread and joined this group. I appreciate the effort that other members put into their thoughtful responses. Thank you.
I hope you start your own thread and let us welcome you and support you if sobriety is what you seek.
Old 03-08-2015, 10:34 AM
  # 89 (permalink)  

60 beers a day is a lot, but I could see it happening on occasion, depending on the physical traits of the addict. I have had 35 or so beers in 24 hours, at times. I am also fairly articulate when drinking; I saw a point made about that.

Without reading the whole thread (and I know it is ages old), my general advice to anyone who is drinking that much, is, get to the ER. You need a medical detox. After that, there are a variety of routes to take.
Old 04-06-2019, 10:53 AM
  # 90 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by teethoflions View Post

I've also been told to go to AA meetings. I don't really agree with the whole 12-step thing. Plus I am an atheist.
AA is a spiritual program, not a religious one. God doesn't have to be your higher power for it to work for you. Obviously once you've completely detoxed. But honestly as long as you don't say anything you can usually go to a meeting without a problem if you feel like you need it.
Old 04-06-2019, 12:20 PM
  # 91 (permalink)  

I'm here to say that you are welcome in AA as an atheist, I am and it has worked for me. There are 12 steps to be found for atheists with no mention of god.
Old 04-06-2019, 05:55 PM
  # 92 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome to SR nevindelson

D
Old 04-06-2019, 06:00 PM
  # 93 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Welcome to SR nevindelson

D
hello but post written in 2008, am i wrong?
Old 04-06-2019, 06:08 PM
  # 94 (permalink)  
Administrator

The original post in this thread was - the post I replied to is from today tho

Welcome to SR Sgt

D
Old 04-06-2019, 08:30 PM
  # 95 (permalink)  

Teeth, please read

Please please know that you can safely detox without insurance.. you go to ER, be 100% honest and they will admit you and hold you for 72 hours.. it’s IMPERATIVE that you MAKE SURE you tell them the level you are at and the suicidal thoughts you’ve had. Forget pride, beg for help. After they have you evaluated you will then be admitted to their 5-7 day detox unit. This is to allow you to safely detox. You then have their social workers etc.. help you research an inpatient facility that accepts pts without insurance. I’m so sorry... it takes hours to research this and make calls and find options... my daughter had Medicaid that NOBODY took until November... it was horrible the lack of resources and options if you do not have good coverage and are an addict to boot.. all I did was fight like hell... there are places though ... reach out to your local govt offices and let them help you as that’s their job..

i want you to know that my ex-husband who was a high functioning alcoholic went from “starting to not feel well and have odd symptoms” I’m late 2015/2016, to full -blown liver failure needing transplant in late 2017/ early 2018. I’ve known him since I was 19 and he’s always been the strongest person I knew. He only drank beer btw.. I watched him waste away literally each new day... he became emaciated, incoherent from ammonia on the brain and at the end was unrecognizable ... he was 50 and we suffered through watching him die a slow and ugly and painful death. He passed June 27th. He’s never been sick. Please take this serious ... please don’t give up 💔

Originally Posted by teethoflions View Post
I've been an alcoholic for roughly 3 years.

I drink roughly 40 to 60 beers a day. There are days I've gone through my entire "reserve" of two 30 packs and have had to resort to drinking mouthwash or rubbing alcohol to avoid withdrawal.

It might sound crazy, but it's no exaggeration. How I've become this far gone...I don't know. How I haven't accidentally killed myself yet (I've come close though)...I don't know that either.

Extreme anxiety has alway plagued me since I was very young. I've been prescribed anti-depressants, Xanax, Ativan, Klonopin, sleeping meds, etc. Nothing ever helped me though. No therapist or hyptonist has ever been able to help. Every psych doc I ever saw thought it was all in my head or just didn't think it was that bad. I have trouble explaining how I really feel sometimes.

I got to the point where it was "**** them, I'll help myself." So I ended up taking whatever would numb me. Whatever would help me be "normal". Weed, oxys, barbs, whatever. Alcohol was my favorite choice though. It was cheap and readily available. No dealing with seedy characters and no worrying if my guy would feel like hooking me up with my fix or not that particular day. Grab the beer, go to the counter, pay. That's it.

I have been to several doctors through the years. I've been told I was depressed, have panic disorder, social anxiety disorder, have bipolar disorder, etc. The last time I saw a physician I was told he believed I was severely agoraphobic and might have borderline personality disorder.

I believe I am agoraphobic. After all the research I've done, the symptoms fit me to a tee. And let me tell you, it is a living hell. Just going the 1/2 mile to the liquor store to get my fix is a white-knuckle, death defying trip (well, to me anyway).

Sorry for the rambling. But let me continue if you've even read up to this point.

It started with just drinking some shots of bourbon or just a 6 pack a day. Then it progressed to a 12 pack a day, an 18 pack a day, about a 30 pack a day. Now it's at least two 30 packs a day.

I love whiskey but it makes me a bit loopy, so I stick to just beer because it also gives me less of a hangover compared to spirits.

One point about a year back where I was without a car, I would walk 12 miles back and forth each day to the only liquor store in the area where I was living at the time.

Somedays I go through the city looking for change and collecting cans just to get beer.

(Maybe this belongs more in the introduction area of the forum, IDK)

I'm getting to the end of my rope though.

I can barely function throughout the day. Hell, I'm in one of my very brief moments of clarity as I type this.

Hold down a job? Yeah right. I've been fired from nearly 10 jobs in the past year.

I don't eat much but I drink copiously. I have gained nearly 100lbs in the past year. Probably since I drink so much and am usually too drunk to really move.

I blackout often. I have back and liver pain constantly (I've been told I have a very fatty liver). Constant headaches and panic attacks. I wake up every 2-3 hours in withdrawal (sweats, convulsions, nightmares, cramps, hallucinations). I puke bile and cough blood quite often. I have many bruises. I bruise very easily.

Hell, my wife can't sleep because she often finds me having troubled breathing after blacking out.

I'm hurting my wife and family emotionally. I'd be lying if I said I DID NOT consider suicide everyday.

It's sad. I want help. I know I need help. My family is in total denial about how bad things actually are. Were all in denial. And my friends want nothing to do with me.

I have no health insurance though.

These so called places that will offer you "payment plans" or "financing" have rejected me. Without health insurance and having bad credit and nobody to cosign on something for me...I'm pretty screwed.

I want to stop. Tapering isn't an option. The withdrawal is insane.

I've had seizures, convulsions, etc when I haven't had enough to drink. Cold turkey isn't even an option. I'd be better off playing Russian roulette.

I've also been told to go to AA meetings. I don't really agree with the whole 12-step thing. Plus I am an atheist.

I can't live my life anymore. I don't know what to do. My family and I need help badly. Where can I go? What can I do? I' so lost.

If you read through this. Thank you. I might make it. I probably may not on the path I'm going.

I just want people who aren't as far gone as me to know that alcoholism can get that bad.

Just help yourself if and while you can. Especially if you have the means through health insurance.

Sorry for the extremely long post.
Old 04-07-2019, 02:23 PM
  # 96 (permalink)  

Oh this just terrifies me to read.
Old 04-07-2019, 10:24 PM
  # 97 (permalink)  

I’m so sorry, McGinnit.

It sounds like you truly loved your husband. What happened to him could happen to any one of us, and we never truly know when we’ve tipped the scales toward dying. At that point, sometimes we are in so much denial that coughing up a little blood (esophageal varices) or turning a little yellow (obstructive jaundice) seems like nothing because we need the drink so bad we can overlook those things, and then bam, we are in full liver failure.

For all the pain you’ve gone through: I am certain you have helped others here realize that for an abusive alcoholic: death really is just right around the corner, and we may be too drunk or addicted to realize death is coming.

Know that your message is getting through, I know it’s not been long since you’ve lost your husband, so from this sober alcoholic I wish you peace.
Old 04-07-2019, 11:36 PM
  # 98 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm really sorry for your loss mcginnit.

D
Old 04-09-2019, 08:50 AM
  # 99 (permalink)  

I know this is an old thread and hate to be that guys, but, how do you even drink 40-60 beers? I would throw up and blackout after after having 10-14
Old 04-09-2019, 12:24 PM
  # 100 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ozm8ey View Post
I know this is an old thread and hate to be that guys, but, how do you even drink 40-60 beers? I would throw up and blackout after after having 10-14
Very high alcohol tolerance. I don’t see 40-50 beers as anything out of the ordinary for a seasoned alcoholic, I’ve done that on the odd occasion, though not daily, and light beers. Case or two of beer, or 3 bottles of champagne, or most of a handle of gin. When I started drinking at 14, I could handle 9-10 drinks: my first drinking episode at that age, I was still standing after drinking wine all night, I only felt more awake, and everyone else was passed out. I didn’t know that was a bad sign back then, I just thought I was “a natural drinker” like my body was designed for it, or some ******** like that. I believed that for a long time, that I was just more Irish and I was genetically built to drink.