Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Alcoholism Information > Alcoholism
Reload this Page >

Does anyone here relapse around the holidays? Do you have a hard time with holidays?

Notices

Does anyone here relapse around the holidays? Do you have a hard time with holidays?

Old 04-02-2008, 07:37 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Question Does anyone here relapse around the holidays? Do you have a hard time with holidays?

I am usually doing really well with my drinking lately, except for when a holiday arrives. Most recently, it was Easter that was the problem. I had about a bottle of wine on Easter and then the next night...and the next...for about a whole week...I was boozing. I finally started to feel very ill and worn out so I MADE myself stop. So, I'm going on 4 days sober again.

I have this problem around Christmas.... Thanksgiving... all of them. Anyone else?
Old 04-02-2008, 07:42 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by chiquen81 View Post
I am usually doing really well with my drinking lately, except for when a holiday arrives. So, I'm going on 4 days sober again.

I have this problem around Christmas.... Thanksgiving... all of them. Anyone else?
Not quite sure what you meant by "really well with my drinking". Can you explain?
Old 04-02-2008, 07:50 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Well...
I drank excessively during holidays
and any day that ended in y.

Until I learned how to live sober.

Have you counted the days you
are drinking and hung over?
That could be an eye opener
Old 04-02-2008, 07:53 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

In the past 562 days since I had a drink I have discovered that holidays are far better sober, when I was drinking every day was a reason to drink and I drank every day.

I reached the point where I knew that if I continued to drink I was going to die, being scared of dying a slow painful death from alcoholism I became willing to do what ever it took for me to not only stop drinking, but stay stopped! I found a solution to my problem.

Are you willing to go to any lengths to get and stay sober?

If you are an alcoholic then it is important for you to know a couple of things, alcoholism is a progressive disease, the longer an alcoholic drink the worse their alcoholism gets, an alcoholic can stop drinking for 10 years and if they start to drink again in a very short time they will be just as bad as they ever were and maybe far worse.

Alcoholism KILLS in MANY ways, if an alcoholic is lucky they get killed instantly in an accident, or they may die a very slow and painful death if they take their disease to the bitter end.
Old 04-02-2008, 09:08 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Life the gift of recovery!

Every day was a holiday to me, or at least that is what I told myself so I had an excuse to drink. But seriously though I do understand the holiday thing. Time off from work, plus the excuse that "everyone else is doing it,[ "it is expected," "don't want to be a party pooper," etc... Ultimately though I had to face the fact that my alcoholism was killing me and everyone around me that loved me. Once I faced that and was serious enough to find a solution I found a program of recovery and jumped in with both feet. Holidays have not been a problem since, they are just another day that I don't think about drinking. If you are looking for a solution and are ready to do what it takes then check the list at the top of the alcoholism forum page that shows recovery programs. Find one that you feel will work for you and jump in. If I can do this anyone can.
Old 04-02-2008, 01:11 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Naturally Occuring Phenomenon

I can see how this becomes a problem. I have stayed away from drinking people mostly since I got sober. Probably, because I could start drinking and then I may be off to the races again. I have way too much stuff to do these days for that sh*t.
Old 04-02-2008, 03:51 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I had about a bottle of wine on Easter and then the next night...and the next...for about a whole week...I was boozing
Textbook definition of an alcoholic. I'm the same way, if I pick up, and get a good buzz going.......IT'S ON ! Problem is, I can't shut it off. That's why abstinence, and a good recovery program (AA) work for me.