Notices

Alcoholic Beverage Control (ABC)

Old 03-30-2008, 06:46 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
the girl can't help it

Cool Alcoholic Beverage Control (ABC)

In my state of NC a portion of the sales of liquor at the ABC stores goes to alcohol rehab related organizations. I am pretty sure liquor cost more in NC than it does some other states. I wonder if this tax on liquor really does any good? Does anyone have an opinion on this?
Old 03-30-2008, 07:32 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by splendra View Post
In my state of NC a portion of the sales of liquor at the ABC stores goes to alcohol rehab related organizations. I am pretty sure liquor cost more in NC than it does some other states. I wonder if this tax on liquor really does any good? Does anyone have an opinion on this?
Good question, this is comparable to the tobacco industry setting up quit programs. Both industries spend millions of dollars in marketing strategies, designed to hook people in, I do a fair amount of research on this topic, their tactics and strategies are appalling.

The new tax hikes in booze and smokes that are occuring throughout the country is designed to bring in revenue, for state funded rehab and education, On the surface this looks great, Dig a bit deeper and some very interesting relationships begin to emerge. Look at the states where these programs are occuring, look at the Senators and Representatives in the state and check out their financial records which they have to disclose as public information. You will see all kinds of campaign contributions from the nice people at Anheuser-Busch and Phillip Morrison.

This is nothing new, alcoholics and drug addicts mean big money to some incredibly selfish greed stricken people who have no moral conscious. The programs set up with this $ are like putting a band aid on a severed artery.

Yes indeed, I do have some opinions on this one.
Old 03-30-2008, 07:36 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Just a through the grape vine thing, not researched.

I don't think the tax ends up going into treatment help just as the cigerete taxes don't really go into anything to help people quit in any significant way.

I think the state just collects all these taxes, but then distributes "some" to those activities and most for general support of the state. I have seen official pie charts on Kansas State Income, and in Kansas the cigerete tax supplies a huge portion of the funds available for the state to run. Haven't seen a pie chart that showed liquer taxes.

There may be someone who has some hard information on this out there.
Old 03-30-2008, 07:49 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Belgian Sheepdog Adictee

The portion of the tax on liquor here in NM that goes toward ABC first and foremost seems to go to pay for the 'extra man hours' for DUI Checkpoints around the state. Those checkpoints are run by all law enforcement agencies in this state. City, County, and State Police. Do they work? I believe so to a degree, we have a 'horrendous' drunk driving problem in this state.

Some of the funds also go to pay for rehab programs that may be ordered by a 'judge' in sentencing. They also have some programs that they bring into the jails, but not much.

Oh and pays for Public Service Ads all over the state, on TV, in newspapers and on billboards.

Does it work. I don't know. But I think every 'little' bit helps to make folks more aware. Alkies will be alkies, but with awareness of families comes interventions of some sort for some of the practicing ones.

I don't care if they raise the taxes SKY HIGH on liquor and cigarettes, and yes I still smoke once in a while, haven't quite been able to 'kick those suckers' completely yet, even after years and years. Eventually they will price them out of my reach.

I look back to that last 1 1/2 years on the street and sometimes wonder if liquor of all kinds had been double or triple the cost it was, if I just 'might' have reached bottom sooner, I don't know.

I am happy that our state lowered the limit to .08 and would like to see it at .04. Drunk driving is really a 'pet peeve' of mine. Yes, in my early drinking career I did drive drunk (never got a DUI, but not saying I shouldn't have) however, on that I did wise up about year 7 of my 22 years of drinking and no longer drove when drinking. My excuse to myself was driving took away from my drinking time, go figure.

I digress, sorry. I do believe the ABC tax can help.

J M H O

Love and hugs,
Old 03-30-2008, 09:20 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I don't believe the tax does any good. It's just another bleeding heart excuse to get more of our tax money. The Gov't can operate quite well on half of what they get right now.
Old 03-30-2008, 10:19 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Anxiety King

RE: using taxes on alcohol.

At the beginning of this year, my county instituted a 10% tax on all drinks in bars and restaurants to help bail out our local public transit.

Many were against it because the transit system was so mismanged to begin with and why should drinkers have to bail them out. I was mainly against it because the busses and trains stop running at 1-1:30am, and if you're going to have the drinkers pay for it, at least keep running until the bars close so that they could take advantage of what they're paying for, and make our streets safer too.
Old 03-30-2008, 01:22 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
the girl can't help it

Using the money for law enforcement is alright I suppose. I think anyone getting even one dui or dwi ought to be in some sort of rehab....
Old 03-30-2008, 04:28 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by splendra View Post
Using the money for law enforcement is alright I suppose. I think anyone getting even one dui or dwi ought to be in some sort of rehab....
I see your point, although I would submit that there are a fair amount of non alcoholics who just made a real bad decision and got behind the wheel after drinking too much and earned a DWI. I don't know if these folks need a stay in rehab necessarily. I favor a weekend in jail, and a mandatory class on alcohol awareness. Of course we could follow the middle east's example and execute drunk drivers, that might deter a few more folks.(sorry if this seems in poor taste, but that it what the penalty is in several middle eastern countries)
Old 03-30-2008, 04:44 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

odd joke, but I'll take it seriously - capital punishment doesn't seem to have any appreciable effect on murder rates, I suspect if would be even less effective on alcoholics.

D
Old 03-30-2008, 05:08 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
It`s ok to stay sober

splendra,I live in NC also.I serve as vice president of a non profit corperation located in Albemarle,NC that has been operating for a little over 30 years.Our purpose is to furnish and keep up a building for the social rehabilitation of alcoholics and their families.In other words,we operate a building where ala non and AA meet.We have AA members and non AA members on the board of directors.
For many years the town of Norwood ABC donated money yearly to us to help out since most of us drank their booze.
They have since stopped,and we are looking to contact other ABC boards for help.The Albemarle City Council decides where to spend the ABC money that is supossed to be donated to rehabilitation of alcoholics.
A certain percentage is supossed to go to rehabilitation.

if you would like to go look at the laws and see what the ABC boards are doing with the money,it is posted online.
Welcome to the North Carolina Alcoholic Beverage Control Commission
click on
local ABC boards and you will get a drop down menu,click on the town ABC board you wish.

the report from last year,or any past year is available.

I went to the links and clicked on Albemarle,NC abc BOARD 164 and here is what a report looks like.

Albemarle ABC Board - 164 : 2007 Revenue
Opened: November 2, 1998

Income
Liquor Sales to Public: $1,887,040
Liquor Sales to Mixed Beverage Permitees: $261,225
Fortified Wine Sales to Public: $10,848
Interest Income: $5,461
Other Income: $0
Total Income: $2,164,574

Taxes
State Excise Tax: $402,705
Mixed Beverage Tax to Dept. of Revenue: $26,152
Mixed Beverage Tax to Dept. of Human Services: $2,615

Rehabilitation Contribution: $7,912 this may go to our local mental health or a place called Daymark which is a "charge you for helping you get off booze and on pills place.."

Sales Tax on Wine: $697
Total Taxes: $440,081

Expenses
Cost of Goods Sold: $1,170,180
Operating Expenses: $391,020
Other Expenses: $0
Total Expenses: $1,561,200

Profit
Profit Before Distributions: $163,293

Profit Percent
Profit Percentage of Income: 7.54 %
Statutory Distributions
Law Enforcement: $4,953 [we have no idea where this goes,probally the local sherriff]
Alcohol Education: $6,935 [this is our local D.A.R.E. program for the schools]
Local: $5,000 [we believe this goes to the town council]
Total Distributions: $16,888

To get it changed,you may have to talk to the city manager or city council.

hope this helps,let me know if I can help futher.
Old 03-30-2008, 05:23 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
It`s ok to stay sober

splendra,here is a copy of state law concerning the distrubution of funds of an ABC store

Chapter 18B.

Regulation of Alcoholic Beverages.

Article 8.

Operation of ABC Stores.

§ 18B‑805. Distribution of revenue.

(a) Gross Receipts. – As used in this section, "gross receipts" means all revenue of a local board, including proceeds from the sale of alcoholic beverages, investments, interest on deposits, and any other source.

(b) Primary Distribution. – Before making any other distribution, a local board shall first pay the following from its gross receipts:

(1) The board shall pay the expenses, including salaries, of operating the local ABC system.

(2) Each month the local board shall pay to the Department of Revenue the taxes due the Department. In addition to the taxes levied under Chapter 105 of the General Statutes, the local board shall pay to the Department one‑half of both the mixed beverages surcharge required by G.S. 18B‑804(b)(8) and the guest room cabinet surcharge required by G.S. 18B‑804(b)(9).

(3) Each month the local board shall pay to the Department of Health and Human Services five percent (5%) of both the mixed beverages surcharge required by G.S. 18B‑804(b)(8) and the guest room cabinet surcharge required by G.S. 18B‑804(b)(9). The Department of Health and Human Services shall spend those funds for the treatment of alcoholism or substance abuse, or for research or education on alcohol or substance abuse.

(4) Each month the local board shall pay to the county commissioners of the county where the charge is collected the proceeds from the bottle charge required by G.S. 18B‑804(b)(6), to be spent by the county commissioners for the purposes stated in subsection (h) of this section.

(c) Other Statutory Distributions. – After making the distributions required by subsection (b), a local board shall make the following quarterly distributions from the remaining gross receipts:

(1) Before making any other distribution under this subsection, the local board shall set aside the clear proceeds of the three and one‑half percent (3 1/2%) markup provided for in G.S. 18B‑804(b)(5) and the bottle charge provided for in G.S. 18B‑804(b)(6b), to be distributed as part of the remaining gross receipts under subsection (e) of this section.

(2) The local board shall spend for law enforcement an amount set by the board which shall be at least five percent (5%) of the gross receipts remaining after the distribution required by subdivision (1). The local board may contract with the ALE Division to provide the law enforcement required by this subdivision. Notwithstanding the provisions of any local act, this provision shall apply to all local boards.

(3) The local board shall spend, or pay to the county commissioners to spend, for the purposes stated in subsection (h), an amount set by the board which shall be at least seven percent (7%) of the gross receipts remaining after the distribution required by subdivision (1). This provision shall not be applicable to a local board which is subject to a local act setting a different distribution.

(d) Working Capital. – After making the distributions provided for in subsections (b) and (c), the local board may set aside a portion of the remaining gross receipts, within the limits set by the rules of the Commission, as cash to operate the ABC system. With the approval of the appointing authority for the board, the local board may also set aside a portion of the remaining gross receipts as a fund for specific capital improvements.

(e) Other Distributions. – After making the distributions provided in subsections (b), (c), and (d), the local board shall pay each quarter the remaining gross receipts to the general fund of the city or county for which the board is established, unless some other distribution or some other schedule is provided for by law. If the governing body of each city and county receiving revenue from an ABC system agrees, those governing bodies may alter at any time the distribution to be made under this subsection or under any local act. Copies of the governing body resolutions agreeing to a new distribution formula and a copy of the approved new distribution formula shall be submitted to the Commission for review and audit purposes. If any one of the governing bodies later withdraws its consent to the change in distribution, profits shall be distributed according to the original formula, beginning with the next quarter.

(f) Surcharge Profit Shared. – When, pursuant to G.S. 18B‑603(d1), spirituous liquor is bought at a city ABC store by a mixed beverages permittee for premises located outside the city, the local board operating the store at which the sale is made shall retain seventy‑five percent (75%) of the local share of both the mixed beverages surcharge required by G.S. 18B‑804(b)(8) and the guest room cabinet surcharge required by G.S. 18B‑804(b)(9) and the remaining twenty‑five percent (25%) shall be divided equally among the local ABC boards for all other cities in the county that have authorized the sale of mixed beverages.

When, pursuant to G.S. 18B‑603(e), spirituous liquor is bought at a city ABC store by a mixed beverages permittee for premises located at an airport outside the city, the local share of both the mixed beverages surcharge required by G.S. 18B‑804(b)(8) and the guest room cabinet surcharge required by G.S. 18B‑804(b)(9) shall be divided equally among the local ABC boards for all cities in the county that have authorized the sale of mixed beverages.

(g) Quarterly Distributions. – When this section requires a distribution to be made quarterly, at least ninety percent (90%) of the estimated distribution shall be paid to the recipient by the local board within 30 days of the end of that quarter. Adjustments in the amount to be distributed resulting from the closing of the books and from audit shall be made with the next quarterly payment.

(h) Expenditure of Alcoholism Funds. – Funds distributed under subdivisions (b)(4) and (c)(3) of this section shall be spent for the treatment of alcoholism or substance abuse, or for research or education on alcohol or substance abuse. The minutes of the board of county commissioners or local board spending funds allocated under this subsection shall describe the activity for which the funds are to be spent. Any agency or person receiving funds from the county commissioners or local board under this subsection shall submit an annual report to the board of county commissioners or local board from which funds were received, describing how the funds were spent.
(i) Calculation of Statutory Distributions When Liquor Sold at Less Than Uniform Price. – If a local board sells liquor at less than the uniform State price, distributions required by subsections (b) and (c) shall be calculated as though the liquor was sold at the uniform price. (1981, c. 412, s. 2; c. 747, s. 52; 1983, c. 713, ss. 102‑104; 1985 (Reg. Sess., 1986), c. 1014, s. 116; 1991, c. 459, s. 3; c. 689, s. 306; 1991 (Reg. Sess., 1992), c. 920, s. 4; 1993, c. 415, s. 27; 1997‑443, s. 11A.118(a); 1999‑462, s. 8.)
Old 03-30-2008, 05:26 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
It`s ok to stay sober

splemdra,I misread your original post...to answer your original question,yes it sometimes does a little good.It could do more good if politics was not a factor.
Old 03-30-2008, 05:44 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
the girl can't help it

Thanks for all the info there BBdad!! And thanks to every one else for there comments too!!
Old 03-30-2008, 06:11 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
odd joke, but I'll take it seriously - capital punishment doesn't seem to have any appreciable effect on murder rates, I suspect if would be even less effective on alcoholics.

D
I don't have much of a sense of humor when it comes to drinking and driving, you are correct though, capital punishment has been proven ineffective as a deterrent to crime.
Old 03-30-2008, 07:39 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Life the gift of recovery!

capital punishment doesn't seem to have any appreciable effect on murder rates, I suspect if would be even less effective on alcoholics.
It is one less murderer who will be out on the streets with the opportunity to kill again so ultimately it does reduce the murder rates. JMHO
Old 03-31-2008, 12:16 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Administrator

Didn't mean to hijack the thread splendra -and we'll have to disagree on this OT point nan

D
Old 03-31-2008, 01:12 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Sorry for the continued hi-jacking

"capital punishment doesn't seem to have any appreciable effect on murder rates, I suspect if would be even less effective on alcoholics.

It is one less murderer who will be out on the streets with the opportunity to kill again so ultimately it does reduce the murder rates. JMHO"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I was thinking this same thing, but then I thought.....most murderers (with the exception of mass murderers 'n serial murderers) only murder one time (one person....yes, I know....that's one too many)....they killed an unfaithful spouse, a cheating partner, a parent.....BUT..... most (plz see I'm not saying all) folks who get dui's and/or dwi's will probly get more.....Therefore....

Perhaps capital punishment for dui's/dwi's might be more effective than with murders -- it would be one less drunk on the streets with the opportunity to drive and possibly kill someone(s).....with the continued driving under the influence or when intoxicated there's a real possibility of killing someone, if not many....so it could be saving many.....? .... just a thought that's been rollin' roun' ma brain..... lol

NoelleR
Old 03-31-2008, 02:30 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
the girl can't help it

Well I don't believe in the death sentence for DUI and DWI but I do believe that people who get them need treatment. Alcohol being legal is kind of a contradiction when there are so many laws to control it. You can drink just don't drink it wrong.

I think since the ABC board is in control of it there ought to be some way they can limit how much a person buys. I mean really if some buys a 5th every day shouldn't this control board take some kind of action? Do they not know that a person who purchases this much alcohol is sick? Are the people who sell it not a part of the problem? A bartender can be sued if they serve someone who is drunk why can't the ABC be sued if they sell someone too much liquor? Because it is easier to sue and individual than a Board I suppose.

How can the system be fair is they are selling it then convicting people who buy it? I think the system needs to be held accountable too.
Old 03-31-2008, 03:56 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
It`s ok to stay sober

I agree splendra but holding a abc store accoutable might take a act of God.

yrs ago,I would to to a ABC store and but the legal limit,and put it in the trunk of my car.I would then drive to another ABC store and do the same.I made the rounds and bought a lot of booze.
Then I would drive to the local bootleggers and put it in a old junk car trunk and hide it for him.When he needed some for the joint,he would go get it from his stash.There`s not much way they can control what you buy if you go to multiple stores and buy the limit at each store.If I had the money and wanted too,I could buy a truckload of booze today,but I better not get caught with it all,I would be in trouble,and the abc store gets off free.
Old 04-02-2008, 08:16 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

I don't have much of a sense of humor when it comes to drinking and driving, you are correct though, capital punishment has been proven ineffective as a deterrent to crime.
Agreed, but there is one thing that no one can disagree with, once capital punishment is completed the percentage of repeat offenders is 0!!!!

0 percent repeat offending is hard to argue with! LOL