Notices

Has anyone ever had this "pain" before?

Old 03-28-2008, 04:37 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Has anyone ever had this "pain" before?

I think my drinking has finally caught up to me, although i've only been drinking hard for about 2 years, I've got this weird numb feeling that occurs under my right rib while i'm sitting or laying down, and the only body part that i know is there is my liver. it usually goes away when i stand up. i'm assuming it's fatty liver but wondering if anyone else had a similar issue when drinking?
Old 03-28-2008, 04:41 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Life the gift of recovery!

It would be best to have your doctor take a look. My experience is that for the last two years of my drinking I had a chronic pain in my right side just under my rib cage like you describe. It did turn out to be damage to my liver. The liver is quite amazing though and if not damaged too badly it can heal quite a bit. But the key is not drinking and doing more damage. Please see your doctor and be honest about your drinking, he might even be able to help you stop drinking if that is what you are ready to do.
Old 03-28-2008, 04:47 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

What stage damage was it? Fatty or cirrhosis?
Old 03-28-2008, 05:03 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

You will need to have a blood test done by your doctor.
That is the only way to know what is happening.

Please don't hesitate ...it's not a good sign.

Old 03-28-2008, 05:23 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Life the gift of recovery!

I do not recall, there was a lot going on in my life during my first couple of years of sobriety and it has been a few years ago.

Please see a doctor though as it really sounds like you need to.
Old 03-28-2008, 05:35 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I used to get that pain after a really hard drinking weekend (lots of distilled spirits). It was easy to connect the dots for me - hard heavy drinking = painful right side.

I never saw a doctor about it, was probably afraid of the results.

Since then (that was 10 years ago or so) - I have had all the liver tests, as well as an ultrasound - normal liver. They levels last time I was in the hospital were extremely elevated.

I was afraid to know back then, that doesn't mean I won't suggest here that you speak to your doctor, it helps to be honest with them too.

Hope this was helpful.
Old 03-28-2008, 05:56 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Yep, soft liver pain was one of my symptoms. I really should have had it checked out, but...ooops, no health insurance. Good luck to ol' Texasblind.

I'm sorry, I'm gonna start ranting...press back now...could get offensive...just warning....

A political message follows: With no insurance, I could only afford treatment or a doctor. I chose treatment. Every "free" program people have suggested to me (except AA, which is spiritual, not medical) has turned me down. Guessing "why" only makes me mad and more guilty.

Why is alcoholism still thought of so lightly? I'll bet if I went to a clinic and said I was a meth addict, not only would I get treatment, I'd get paid to be in their little study. I know this to be true, since my SO works for one of those places. The mainstream medical establishment still treats alcoholism as a social disease, not a physical one.

When I was ready to quit, people on this forum were so kind. They said, "go find treatment." Unfortunately, in ABQ, there is no treatment for a middle aged alcoholic, who is capable of working, in this town. Any other circumstance, hell yes you get treatment. But I am not disabled (and I agree with that) so therefore, I am not worthy of treatment. I just need to "get it together." No assistance or help at all. I didn't want food stamps or welfare or unemployment. I wanted treatment. And I paid like hell for it...I even had to take out a payment plan. I make a ******* rehab payment, like some make car or house payments!

Was it worth it, absolutely! Do I wish there had been some help? Absolutely. Did I do it to myself? Absolutely. There are a ton of emotions there.

I'm sorry everyone, I just think the situation is twisted and sad.

Edit: I think it's funny how this board edits out your profanity. I shouldn't curse, I'm sorry. I'm just a little emotional.

Last edited by Texasblind; 03-28-2008 at 05:59 PM. Reason: Cursing
Old 03-28-2008, 07:56 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Belgian Sheepdog Adictee

Go see your Dr. it can be liver and/or gall bladder.

We are not doctors. You need tests done to find out what it is before it gets worse.

Love and hugs,
Old 03-28-2008, 08:06 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Belgian Sheepdog Adictee

Unfortunately, in ABQ, there is no treatment for a middle aged alcoholic,
For future reference, and when you run across someone that was in your condition, University Hospital is not only a teaching hospital, but is the 'county hospital' and must by law take 'indigent patients.'

That being said, start detox, then when in the throes of the sweats and tweeks head for the ER. They will take the person and detox the person, and then their Social Workers help get the person into somewhere like Turquoise Lodge if needed.

I was on the phone with a Sponsee of mine up there that just did that with another newcomer about 4 weeks ago, and the newcomer will be coming out of Turquoise Lodge next week, and coming down here to a sober living house.

Although AA is 'spiritual' some of the folks, no many of the folks in it, do know of ways to get folks help. That's why I never discourage folks from going to meetings while still drinking.

We do the same thing down here, usually take them into ER in the early morning hours and not on a weekend.

Did it in Las Vegas, NV and out in LA also.

I am sorry you had to sign a payment plan, but I am very grateful that you are now on the road of Recovery.

Glad you were able to rant here and get your 'resentment' out. Now you know how to help someone else so they don't get the same resentment <g>

Love and hugs,