Notices

Alcoholism and Addiction Cure

Old 03-25-2008, 05:27 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
DKS
Glad to be here

Originally Posted by sugErspun View Post
"How to Quit Drinking Without AA" - that's funny.
Believe it or not, I actually bought this book from Amazon. :rof

I can't comment on it though, because I bought several alcoholism books at the same time when I was preparing to quit drinking for good. I never got around to reading this particular book, and had totally forgotten about it until just now.
Old 03-25-2008, 07:19 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

think i read that one too a long time ago, might have been one of the ones smart recovery recommends at their site, i remember them having a book list of some kind
Old 03-25-2008, 07:27 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Belgian Sheepdog Adictee

It is Promises or Passages??
It's Passages, and right under the name on their web site they say

"The World's Premiere Addiction Cure Center."

And yes, he advertises his book on the site. Gee, what folks pay $60,000 for I got for free in AA, lol.

I have to ditto Carol:

The danger I see from proclaiming a cure
is that so many of us will latch on
and discontinue dealing with their alcoholism.
When I see the word "cure" and alcoholism and/or addiction in the same sentence my red flags start flying everywhere.

However, that being said, if even one alkie and/or addict gets help from this book, then it is a success.

J M H O

Love and hugs,
Old 03-26-2008, 05:37 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

You'd think AA would do more to counter those negative perceptions out there.
Attraction and not promotion just to add to the list.

No matter what it is, when someone or something is the leader in something, others will make money off of that fact. One of the best ones going was a car rental firm which took great pride in advertising the were #2 and as a result tried harder.

What ever works, if it saves even one alcoholics life it is a good thing.
Old 03-26-2008, 11:39 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Have not read the Prentiss book

I have not read the book by Chris Prentiss, but I would be interested is seeing his point of view. There are a lot of treatments available for alcoholism and addiction, some of them mostly just dealing with the symptoms of detox and withdrawal, depression and obsession. They are making great strides in neuroscience today, and I think that one day there will be a medication or procedure that will eliminate the mental obsession and physical craving for alcohol and other addictive substances. Whether that cure would enable a an alcoholic to start drinking normally I am not sure and do not have the information to make a guess. But I do not think there will ever be a magic bullet for the spiritual malady. And that's where AA comes in, it's a spiritual program. And that's all it is. There are many facets to recovering from alcoholism and addiction that need to be fully addressed. "Dont Drink, Go to Meetings, and Work the Steps" is one facet, but by now means the only thing that needs to be done. Any alcoholic or addict should consult a medical professional as well as a therapist to deal with the physicial and mental ramifications of the disease. Nutrition and Exercise are also important. ANd then there is life balancing and stress management, changing routine, putting in healthy behaviors and activitites in your life to replace the unhealty habits. Many alcoholics suffer from depression, bi-polor, obsessive-compulsive disorder and Post Traumatic Stress Disorder. These should be treated in tandem with the addiction, and that may include the use of medication prescribed by a qualified medical health professional. I think it is vitally important that anyone who embarks on the path of recovery make sure they see a Physician and be upfront and honest about their use, and make use of a mental health professional as well as attend meetings. Thats my two cents. Hope it helps. I must pick up that book now
Old 03-26-2008, 12:30 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  
Don't get undies in a bunch

I found my cure

Not picking up that first drink cures me daily.
Old 03-26-2008, 07:46 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

I believe that some day there will be a cure for addictions. I can't wait.
Old 03-26-2008, 07:52 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

I couldn't risk waiting....I had to not pick up that first drink....no matter what.

If I had waited I would be waiting in pine box....

Seren
Old 04-03-2008, 03:27 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  
Another Long Rookie Thread...

I read the book last summer. It proffers a holistic approach with many different types of professionals and suggests the symptom of drinking can be alleviated by curing the underlying maladies, be they physical, emotional, psychological, etc.

It has some good ideas and tips but I used it to convince myself to leave rehab and AA and within a month I dug myself into a new bottom and ended up in rehab and AA

I'm not blaming the book. In my experience, almost anything is dangerous in the hands of my alcoholic thoughts. I will twist anything into a viable excuse to destroy myself.

I'm taking antabuse and working the steps in AA with a sponsor after resisting mightily for 10 years, and I've still relapsed a few times but am making progress (relatively speaking, for me). I think we all need to figure out for ourselves what keeps us sober and stick with it. If the Prentiss system of fancy therapists, yoga, diet, etc. works, by all means stick with it. I'm not convinced there's a "cure", but anything that keeps drink #1 out my hands is OK by me.
Old 04-03-2008, 03:41 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

mrhodes01 ....
Welcome again!

Good to know you are
back on track.
Blessings
Old 04-28-2008, 05:41 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

The Addiction Cure

I read it a couple of year ago. It is a pretty good read but is certainly not a cure. I wrote a blog about it last night on our website. I am the director of Breakthrough Addiction Recovery in Atlanta.

I saw the infomercial yesterday morning and it motivated me to express my negative opinion about the way it is approached. Everyone has a different idea about recovery and different things work for different people. In my opinion there is not a "cure" and anyone who presents a simple book as a cure on a paid infomercial is acting to the detriment of addicts and alcoholics.

I posted it on Digg and someone decided to bury it. Guess my opinion wasn't very popular.
Old 04-28-2008, 08:00 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by laurie6781 View Post
And yes, he advertises his book on the site. Gee, what folks pay $60,000 for I got for free in AA, lol.

Amen to that!
Old 04-28-2008, 08:18 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

sl63.....Welcome to our Alcoholism Forum
Old 04-29-2008, 04:23 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

I watched the beginning of one of his infomercials selling his book, I was quite upset, the Title of his book is misleading as all get outs!!!

I found it amusing that in his infomercial he comes right out and says it is not a cure!!!! If it is not a cure then why did he name the book what he named it?

He also claimed that some people simply read the book and thier problem was cured!!!!

He also stated that alcoholism is not a disease even though every major medical and scientific orginization in the world says it is!

One thing I did find odd was why wasn't his son in the infomercial?

Another thing I do not really understand is if all you need is his book to be cured why do you have the option to spend $65,000.00 dollars to spend a month at his rehab center?

Hey if the book works for someone great, if the $65.000.00 a month rehab works great!
Old 04-29-2008, 06:30 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Why wasn't his son in the informercial?

I don't know. Maybe he was out having a couple of beers since he is "cured".