Notices

Time to get real honest with myself

Old 03-23-2008, 09:39 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Heather

Unhappy Time to get real honest with myself

Hello all,
I haven't been here in a while... I have a boyfriend who attended a rehab and I started going to meetings with him and stayed sober for many months. But then somehow I convinced myself that he was the one with the problem, not me and stopped attending meetings and slowly but surely started drinking with my friends. Yesterday I had a real eye opener... He went out of town for the day and it's like as much as I wanted to stay sober I found myself drinking with my friends and he came home to a drunken mess. I think it's time to realize that I too have a problem and need to go back to meetings... Anyways just wanted to introduce myself. I'll probably be spending a bit of time on here again.

Heather
Old 03-23-2008, 09:42 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Anxiety King

Welcome back Heather!
Old 03-23-2008, 09:45 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hey it worked before so work it again, you know what to do, so i need to say no more.

Take care,
John
Old 03-23-2008, 09:53 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome back Heather. The magic here worked for you before and it can work again. :ghug

love your picture, by the way!
Old 03-23-2008, 10:00 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Psalm 118:24

Can't recall how many times, I'd say to myself, one more drink for the night.

That's what separates us from the social drinker that orders one or two drinks and leaves a half of it sitting on the table when, they leave. I call that alcohol abuse !!

One thing, you have going for you, you've got a b/f staying sober.

You've got to make a choice, are you willing to give up your drinking buddies to stay sober?

I gave up all my drinking friends. Funny, I'd give them a call to do things that, didn't involve drinking and they always had an excuse not to go.
I was like that, any type of activity I was attending, had to have drinking.

Start going to the meetings

btw, tell your friends you've decided to stop drinking. This is the best way to weed out your true friends.
Old 03-23-2008, 10:15 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Heather

Thank you everyone for the warm welcome back! I am positive that this time around will be better. I have an amazing boyfriend that is very involved in his own recovery. When I first started going to meetings with him it was my codepency that made me go. I was convinced that he would run away with some girl from the meetings. Once I worked that out I figured I would step back and let him have his recovery. That and I thought that I didn't have a problem. It's like everytime he leaves me alone I end up getting trashed which I know is not fair to him.
I absolutely adore my friends. They understood before so I'm sure they will understand now. It may hurt their feelings but I have to put my well being before their's...
Oh and least.. that's a pic of my dog Sasha - who I got my screen name from
Thanks again everyone!
Old 03-23-2008, 10:16 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Naturally Occuring Phenomenon

Ah, the dreaded drunken mess. Its disgusting. Crusty shot glasses, half eaten food (pizza boxes & unwashed dishes), beer cans loaded with camel butts, lights left on, unmaid beds, dust in the hallways, greasy hair, dirty ceiling fans, cusions strewn about the couches, sleep where you drop and the list goes and on.

Hit some meetings.
Old 03-23-2008, 11:52 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

One of Sasha's ears looks a lot like a cat. (jk of course).

If you can't control the amount you drink once you start (if this has EVER happened) - you might be alcoholic.
If you have the above, and also cannot stay stopped - you probably have alcoholism.

If your life has become unmanageable, AA is a good place for you.
Welcome back.
Old 03-23-2008, 12:13 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

I found many new non drinking friends in AA.
We share the same goals and lifestyles.

Glad you came back to SR!
Old 03-23-2008, 02:00 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Sasha1208 View Post
Thank you everyone for the warm welcome back! I am positive that this time around will be better. I have an amazing boyfriend that is very involved in his own recovery. When I first started going to meetings with him it was my codepency that made me go. I was convinced that he would run away with some girl from the meetings. Once I worked that out I figured I would step back and let him have his recovery. That and I thought that I didn't have a problem. It's like everytime he leaves me alone I end up getting trashed which I know is not fair to him.
I absolutely adore my friends. They understood before so I'm sure they will understand now. It may hurt their feelings but I have to put my well being before their's...
Oh and least.. that's a pic of my dog Sasha - who I got my screen name from
Thanks again everyone!
No, I'm thinking codependency makes him stay. And you will find out who your truly "adorable" friends are when you stop drinking, if they are your friends and they know you have a drinking problem, why are they drinking with you? A last thought, if you keep drinking and he gets further down that recovery road, he may very well find a recovering alcoholic to run away with. Now don't get discouraged, if you quit for months you can quit "forever", one day at a time! Good Luck! :ghug
Old 03-23-2008, 09:25 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Hi Heather,

Sobriety is full of choices, as you get into recovery you will see things with much more clarity.

Seren

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...-programs.html
Old 03-23-2008, 09:32 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Attitude of Gratitude

As your very well know:

Keep Coming Back, It Works if You Work It!

:ghug2
Old 03-24-2008, 05:26 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

Sasha welcome back to SR, glad to hear you know what works for you and are going back.

Just one suggestion, if it is possible try not to attend all the same meetings he does, this will allow him to focus on his recovery and you on yours. All of the couples in my area try and attend seperate meetings at least half of the time, they usually attend speaker meetings together and all thier other meetings seperately.