Notices

Here's my story...sorry so long

Old 03-20-2008, 04:14 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by CarolD View Post
Mega hugs and Prayers coming your way Ken!
(+) (+) (+)
Thank you.....I'm gonna need them.
Old 03-20-2008, 04:15 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

Ken I am really moved by your first meeting, it brings back the same feelings I had, that fear of walking in that door, suddenly finding myself saying my name and that this was my first meeting (Actually it was my second one, I went to the first one drunk on my butt about 4-5 years before I was serious about getting sober).

I left that meeting knowing I was no longer alone and that there was hope for me! Glad to hear you are going to keep going back, the most important meetings I go to are the ones I don't want to go to! Especially in early sobriety my alcoholism would try and convince me that I did not need to go to a meeting that night....... in reality I really needed a meeting to stay sober.

Keep in mind that in meetings you will hear some folks say some stuff that sounds really out there..... well guess what? It may be out there!!!! Not every person in an AA meeting has been sober for 20 years, something like 26% of folks in AA have less then a year sober so you may hear some really crazy stuff.

Another thing to keep in mind is that you can hear good things from some one with only 3 days sober and hear some really crazy crap from someone with 30 years!!!! Keep an eye out for folks in meetings that you would like to be like (Not materially), try and introduce your self.

Stick with the folks who have what you want, ask some one to be your temporary sponsor, they will answer a lot of questions for you and give you some suggestions on things that helped them stay sober.
Old 03-20-2008, 08:33 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Keep coming back, Ken...

Great post -- thank you for your honesty and open mindedness... and mostly for having the courage to go sit your butt in that chair!!! I remember my first meeting as well. I was in a real fog, and still don't remember a lot about it -- but I do remember the chairperson, her story, and saying the Lord's Prayer arm in arm with a bunch of kids from Wickenburg, down in Phoenix for their weekly meeting...

You don't HAVE to wait for the relationship to be over to remove the alcohol. Instead of drinking, go to more meetings or eventually you will find some folks in AA (get some phone numbers if you didn't get a list already) to go have coffee with...

Either way, you are moving in the right direction, and thank you for helping me to stay sober today...

Ken
Old 03-20-2008, 09:29 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Again, I'm still new at this...

Right on Ken! Good job, I know how hard it is. The worst was my first meeting, my family knew, but it was horrible admitting my alcoholism to random strangers. Those people have now become friends. It get's better. Here's what really struck me about your story...

I had idols growing up, we all did. You know what? Now I want to be one of those guys leading the meeting with 15 years under my belt. Isn't that strange? I don't want to be a rock star or lawyer or doctor. I want to be an AA meeting leader.

Funny how life works. But it's good.
Old 03-20-2008, 06:48 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

I attended my second meeting tonite.....it was a lot easier, and I knew which door to walk through!!! LOL

Thank you all for the kind words, thoughts, and posts.....I'll be back, and I'll keep coming back.
Old 03-20-2008, 09:32 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

way to go...
Old 03-21-2008, 01:58 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  
1 bite&all resistance crumbles

Keep Coming Back - well done! I got shivers reading the account of your story!!! And putting up your hand - well done! God Shot! s

Awesome!

Cathy31
x
Old 03-21-2008, 04:03 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

Glad to hear you found the door again!!! LOL In my area most meetings are in different places on different nights, we have a few daily meetings at the same place though.

Keep going and just listen, some meetings they go around the table and ask folks to share, if you go to one of those and do not feel like sharing, just listen and when your turn comes just say something like "Hi I am Ken and I am new and am just listening today." No one will think any less of you, we have all been there before. Try to go to meetings 10-15 minutes before they start and stay a little after the meetings as well. Many times we find we learn more before and after meetings then we do during the meetings.

Most folks try to share in just a general way during a meeting, the real meat and potatoes of AA I have found many times to be the one on one conversations before and after meetings.
Old 03-22-2008, 03:06 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Went again last night, going again today.

Still not ready to pick up my 24 hour chip, but I am learning and understanding a lot more about myself and this disease.