Notices

Intervention

Old 03-18-2008, 06:27 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
*Grateful*

Unhappy Intervention

Did anyone see last nights Intervention? It was soooo sad how Lawerence struggled with alcoholism, and was in major denial, finally went to recovery, was asked to leave after 30 days, stayed sober for 3 more weeks, then 2 months later was dying of cirrosis of the liver. Dying on Feb. 23, 2008 at only 34. Very very sad....I almost cried for him. Very real.
Old 03-18-2008, 06:40 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

No...I don't watch Intervention.

I perfer to try to help another alcoholic
on here or in person
a more rewarding experience.

I have a difficult time believing TV anything.

Again...
congratulations on your new sober time
Old 03-18-2008, 07:00 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Attitude of Gratitude

Unfortunately I went through a similar situation in real life.

My little sister, Linda, an alcoholic/addict was rushed to the hospital on Feb.15, 1991. She was throwing up blood along with chunks of her stomach. The blood vessels in her esophagus and stomach were bursting, these are called verrisies (sic) They stopped the bleeding. She would get better, then worse, was in a coma and then came out. On March 29, she finally agreed to go into treatment at the hospital. It was a 28 day Program and on the day her Dr.'s were due to discharge her medically, she was to be admitted immediately into the Treatment Program. Her medical release was to take place on April 3. Linda never made it, she died as a result of cirrhosis of the liver at the age of 26 on April 1, 1991. Instead of going into treatment on April 3, we buried my baby sister.

I hope everyone reads this. This disease will take anyone of us. It's doesn't care how old or how young we are. It didn't care that the only dream my Sister had in life was to have a child. She adored my son, who has just turned 2 years old, 3 months before she died. Brandon walked around for weeks asking me where "Dindy" was. He would get my purse and say,"Go see Dindy." This disease doesn't give a damn that it took my only Sister from me. We were two years apart. Best Friends. I thought it would be funny to get her high when she was about 12. I had been using for over 3 years by then and she idolized me. It took me many years to get over the guilt I had. I felt that since I got her high the first time, I caused her death. This guilt almost killed me as well.

By the Grace of God and I feel my Sister, Linda, as my Guardian Angel, I now have 2 years and 8 months Clean, Sober and Free.

If anyone who reads this thinks that they are too young or haven't drank/used long enough to have their body become effected, you're wrong.

Linda was a beautiful, vivacious, loving, happy and vibrant young woman.

Then the disease took hold.

Bottom Line, You Drink, You either Stop Completely or You Will Die
Old 03-18-2008, 07:04 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Today's Muse

I watched it. I found it very sad. I agree, face to face is very rewarding. I also like a reminder of the progression, the denial and the decline. It is a very real life reminder of where I don't ever want to be. I was amazed by his denial up to the very end. Sadly, that is the nature of the beast.
Old 03-18-2008, 07:26 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I saw it. He was beyond help, even in the rehab when he showed up he wouldn't admit to having more than a couple drinks now and then...his wife pulled 4 or 5 quarts of vodka out of the trash.

Shows the harsh reality of alcoholism, most don't make it. He had no desire to get sober at all...they tried to force him into sobriety and he was dead a couple months later.

Hopefully in less pain now.
Old 03-18-2008, 07:38 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

My ex is in the process of going through that right now.

My friend's husband died the same way last year.

Alcohol is a killer, we become our own murderers, there is help out there, but we must be willing to reach out for it.

So sorry to read about your little sister, Serenity Queen....my little sister Linda was killed by a drunk driver.

Seren
Old 03-18-2008, 07:55 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Attitude of Gratitude

Lovingseren, your little sister's name was Linda too?

How much younger is she/was she than you?

How long has she been gone?
Old 03-18-2008, 07:56 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I watched it, it was very sad but shows how deadly this desease can be. I have seen many epiodes of this and quite a few remind me of me.
Old 03-18-2008, 08:00 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

She was six years younger than me, and she was just a baby at the time.

Our Linda's are safe now, they are in our hearts forever.

We live the best life we can in honour of them.

hugs to you Sister.

Seren
Old 03-18-2008, 08:03 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Attitude of Gratitude

I truly believe that we will meet them again.

God Bless and Thanks for helping me turn a sad memory into a loving, warm and fuzzy!
Old 03-18-2008, 08:05 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

:ghug3
Old 03-18-2008, 08:25 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

They all remind me of me. I cry during every episode of intervention. I tell myself I watch it so that I can remind myself of how I will never get "that bad". As I sit and drink my 5th (very large) glass of wine tonight, as I've been crying for two hours knowing that I am, indeed, "that bad".
Old 03-18-2008, 08:32 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

It doesn't have to be seekingself.

You looking to stop drinking?
Old 03-18-2008, 08:38 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I am. I've stopped lying to myself about how sick I am. But I'm so scared, I'm not even sure I have the strength to go through with it.
Old 03-18-2008, 08:42 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

You probably don't have the strenght...that is where other people who have gone through this before come in.

Tell a little about your drinking (maybe start a new thread out of respect for this thread)...introduce yourself.

How much? How often? What kind? Why do you refer to yourself as 'sick'...

Maybe these questions will help you start a thread. Looking forward to reading your story.

You can recover from this, live happy. It's not a lie. I am a living example.
Old 03-18-2008, 09:32 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
*Grateful*

Seeking self, sooo glad you posted! You can put an end to this insanity. You have taken the first step, you have admitted to us your problem. Tell us a little about yourself....are you ready to recover?

Serenity Queen....I am soooo sorry about your sister. I am so glad you are clean and sober! ****{hugs}}}} Sheila
Old 03-18-2008, 09:44 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
play the tape all the way thru

I was wondering if anyone else watched it. It was extremely sad I told my exabf about it as he too is very deep in denial. Just so so sad...
Old 03-18-2008, 10:30 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Here is the thread started by seekingSelf...

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...-i-m-lost.html

It's good to share there too.
Did I just do a mini intervention??
Old 03-19-2008, 05:09 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

I do not watch that show because many times they give false hope to families that if they just hire someone to do an intervention that it will save thier loved one. I know of exactly one man who stayed sober after an intervention and he said that he was ready to put himself into treatment before they did the intervention.

This is just my opinion so please do not jump down my throat, but interventions are more for the family of the addict/alcoholic then for the addict or alcoholic. Interventions allow families to know that they have done everything in their power to help thier loved one.

My understanding is that very very few people stay clean and sober as a result of an intervention, if I am wrong I would welcome any sources to prove otherwise.

seren and queen, my heart goes out to both of you, it is sad that some of us msut die so that others may live, they are at peace now.
Old 03-19-2008, 08:36 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
*Grateful*

Taz,

I tend to agree w/ you actually....however, the one good thing about interventions is perhaps they learn something about recovery and staying clean (a seed planted) so that if that is what they really want it will be there to return to.

I was a product of an intervention in February 91. They sent me to detox for 2 weeks, then to a six month long treatment live in house. It was hard, I stayed clean for 8 yrs and never did go back to meth, (but relapsed on opiates in 99 when my husband got sick w/ brain cancer)...however I must say I was really sick and tired of it all and I think I was kind of ready to get out of the whole scene. Meth=major negative drama.....

So...anyhoo....that is where i am coming from, so I understand your point....

Sheila