Notices

Liver tests

Old 03-17-2008, 02:53 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Liver tests

Set up an appointment to get a liver function test done this week. Can't say that I'm not worried. Had one done about 5 years ago and it was within the normal range. Anyway, just wondering if anyone has any personal experience of liver tests, specifically, if the count comes back as elevated, how quickly they can return back to normal considering abstinence from alcohol. I don't have any symptoms of liver disease but just want to do the test for peace of mind.

[Just for a point of reference, I've been drinking on and off for about 10 years (from early 20s to early 30s). Some periods would be a regular basis of 3-5 cocktails a night daily for a few years, and others would be weekends only. Really cut down my drinking the past two years (lost 30 lbs) and these days, I don't really touch the hard stuff and manage to drink a six pack a few days out of the week. I also exercise regularly and eat healthy.]
Old 03-17-2008, 03:19 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

4 years ago my liver tests cam back with various problems; bad results, high Billy Rubins count, etc etc.
I quit drinking and after about 4 to 5 months things were back to normal.
It also turned out that I had something called Gilberts Syndrome which isn't a really bad ailment but means that you need to be extra careful with your liver.
After this abstinence I gradually built up to a high level of drinking again with the inevitable results. Ill health etc.
When I gave up the booze for good, again, it took about 5 months to get back to normal and I've been fine ever since.
For your info I was never a super heavy drinker and I drank very little spirits but at 40 years plus it did seem to hit my liver badly.
After only 2 weeks without booze I certainly felt a lot better so I would guess that a doctor would say that liver tests would show significant improvements within the first 2 weeks or so and subsequently the results will gradually get better, returning to healthy results completely after 4 to 5 months. I'm not an expert and I'm sure this will differ from person to person and may also depend on the ammount of damage already done.
I hope this helps.
Old 03-17-2008, 04:25 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
pi2

I had a blood test 3 weeks ago for which they check my liver functions and they were in the 140's...the should be in the 40's. I finally stopped drinking 14 days ago after many many years and have my next blood test in June. I am praying at that time they will have returned to normal. I will keep you posted.
Old 03-17-2008, 05:58 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Jokerman....
Welcome to SR!
Old 03-17-2008, 06:05 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi again tyates....
Yes...it's always wise to consult your doctor
and then you can be both safe amd sober.

Every one has a different time line on health issues.
If you Google for info on liver diseases + alcohol
you will find much information.

Perhaps none will apply to you...it's best to let
the tests and your doctor plan for you.

Keep in focus on your sobriety
then you will find a healthy future.
Old 03-17-2008, 06:08 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks for the replies. I wasn't sure what to expect but it sounds like a negative test would just mean scheduling another test in the next few months with a recommendation to lay off the booze.

Keep it up pi2, it sounds like all the liver needs is some rest and recovery from all the toxins. Did your doc give you any advice (other than abstinence) such as nutrition, exercise, etc? From what I know, maintaining a diet rich in antioxidants and certain vitamins/minerals are supposed to be healthy for the liver. I'm not expert on the subject, but just what I've gathered from various sources. As for myself, I use have a daily dose of blueberries (high source of antioxidants), take lots of Vit C, and put tumeric seasoning in most of my cooking. There's alot of talk about milk thistle being good for the liver but it doesn't sounds like there have been any tests done to fully substantiate this claim.
Old 03-17-2008, 09:42 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

My liver test were really high last time I was hospitaized from alcoholism (12/2005). They returned to normal after a couple weeks of not drinking.
Old 03-18-2008, 12:37 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I was drinking about 1 pint of vodka/day for 10 years. Liver and CBC tests came back abnormal (of course) but not extreme. However, it took 1 year to return to normal.

jane
Old 03-18-2008, 05:33 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

I was diagnosed with a fatty liver after 40 years of drinking, many of them pretty hard drinking, my liver enzymes were back to normal levels in 3 months of total abstinance and most of the swelling was gone in about 6 months.

Livers thank God have a great ability to heal as long as you don't get cirrosis of the liver through total abstinance.
Old 03-18-2008, 07:40 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Member in S W France

Question Cirrosis of the Liver ????

Livers thank God have a great ability to heal as long as you don't get cirrosis of the liver through total abstinance.

Do I take this to mean that you can get cirrosis of the liver from Abstaining from Alcohol please explain
Old 03-18-2008, 07:51 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Please Google for information on liver diseases.
SR members are not
qualified to address medical issues.

This if from our SR Policy Forum

Please do not give medical advice, medication advice, or psychiatric advice.
Here is the link to that Forum

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...-posting-tips/

This thread is now closed.

Last edited by CarolD; 03-18-2008 at 08:33 AM. Reason: Added Info