Notices

Slogan Pet Peeve...

Old 03-17-2008, 09:50 PM
  # 121 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LosingmyMisery View Post
AA slogans or ideas, which are not AA, come from treatment centers. They have been intertwined into the program due to the fact that treatment centers use the 12 step program. This factor does indeed water down the program. It is hard to "separate" the two in meetings.

Thank God for hardcore, say it like it is people, who are sober and knew the program of AA. When I came in, I knew it would take someone tough, and persistent, to keep me in line and sober. I knew I would give my sponsor a run for their money, and I did.

I wanted to argue. I wanted to prove them wrong and me right. I knew that I had to have someone who would make me comply, who would call me on my sh1t. If I did everything the way I wanted, the way I thought it should be done, I most likely wouldn't be here today.

Calling people on their BS is the best thing that can happen. This action becomes misconstrued and regarded as arrogant or egotistical. I find it to be truthful, honest, and life saving.

How the heck would I know how to get sober? How would I know what was right and wrong for me? Think about it. I needed to hear the truth and I needed to have facts directly pointed out to me. People are to willing to give up and walk away if they don't like something. They don't want to work for an outcome, they want it to just happen. If the going gets tough, they walk away.

It doesn't work that way and that has been proven over and over again. I've seen it many times. I've seen little efforts equaling zero results. Then comes the complaints of how abrasive the program is. Honestly, I think that is exactly what we need. I definitely know it was what I needed. When it come to honesty, acceptance, and finding sobriety, if you don't like what it is you are hearing, it is best to examine why. Then, you will find the answers, acceptance and sobriety.
Great post! No sugar coating - life and death we deal with here.

Thanks losingmymisery..
Old 03-18-2008, 09:31 AM
  # 122 (permalink)  

Smile I’ve been thinking more about this.

Originally Posted by sugErspun View Post
Are you saying you are powerless over alcohol Barto?

Powerless to me, means I am f*****.(period) Better let someone else lead the way, cause I will put myself in the grave.
I “suspect” that of myself I am powerless, but, luckily, I have been able to tap into a power greater than myself. Therefore, I don’t think I am powerless. I think my power depends on the maintenance of my spiritual condition, or my relationship with God (as understand God).
Old 03-18-2008, 09:39 AM
  # 123 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

Taz, your kidding right? You state...

I have always had a problem with organized religions, "Oh you are going to hell if you don't light the candle, stand on one foot and tap the top of your head!" "You can not do this unless you have done that!"

Religion is to me a man or men telling others how to interact with their HP.

Are the 12 steps not directions? They are explicit, down to specific prayers for specific steps. The steps tell you exactly how to interact with your HP and what your HP is willing to do when the steps are followed.
Bugs read all of the black parts of the BB, not just the parts you want to see:

Here are the steps we took, which are suggested as a program of recovery:
The above is what is in black right above the steps, I bolded the word suggested just for you!

A little more printed in black about the prayers:

Many of us said to our Maker, as we understood Him:
Notice it says "Many of us" not :All of us?

When ready, we say something like this:
It does not say we must say this exactly, it says "something like this".

I would love for you to show me one prayer that one is directed to say verbatim in the BB.
Old 03-18-2008, 09:49 AM
  # 124 (permalink)  

Oh shoot, treatment centers and AA. Don’t get me going! LOL.
Old 03-18-2008, 11:39 AM
  # 125 (permalink)  

Right Barto!

Anyone got the AA cliff notes?

164 pages and a guide to help me (sponsor) seems like a bit much to save my life.