Notices

Non-Alcoholic?

Old 03-12-2008, 06:56 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
HADENOUGH23

Non-Alcoholic?

Hi,
I am finding that besides the physical alcohol addiction my body had, I am having a tougher time with it being a habit and part of everyday living. In the 4-1/2 weeks that I quit drinking beer, I had O'dules a few times while friends were over. It was rough being that they all drink. The craving for the taste of beer was satisfied but is it ok to substitute the non-alcoholic beer for the regular stuff?
Old 03-12-2008, 07:34 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

This comes up here pretty regularly. The best response I heard yet was it's like holding hands with a hooker. It works for some, and if it makes you feel normal with your friends, then go for it. The trace amount of alcohol in "non-alcoholic" beer is no greater than you will encounter in other things like Orange juice.

On the other hand, Some say this trace amount is enough for some people to trigger cravings. I dont believe that, I think it's continuing to practice a habbit leading back to the full blown habbit again.

You may find the old friends are more of a detraction from your recovery than whats in your hand.

Good luck, and btw, Welcome to SR
S
Old 03-12-2008, 07:36 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Naturally Occuring Phenomenon

I wouldn't drink nonalckie beer becuase it would make me want the real thing even more (thats just me). I wouldn't hang out with my friends if they are drinking either, cause I would drink (thats just me though). Its really up to you. If a person is going to drink beer, they should just drink the real thing (thats my philosophy, if you even wanna call it that).
Old 03-12-2008, 07:40 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

It is totally up to you really, I will tell you that Odouls and almost all NA beer has alcohol in it. I personally avoid anything that resembles drinking beer or what ever. I am not willing to gamble my sobriety to give the appearance of drinking.

There are thousands of great tasting beverages out there, I am perfectly happy with sweetened ice tea and find no discomfort in telling anyone that I am a recovered alcoholic, most people tell me they asmire me for doing something about a problem I have, I have never had any one leave me because I would not drink with them.

I have learned who were real friends and who were drinking buddies since I sobered up, if I want a drinking buddy I can go to a bar and buy a round and have drinking buddies all night long, drinking buddies I have found are a dime a dozen.
Old 03-12-2008, 07:52 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

When the hell are they going to make non-alcoholic whiskey??

Seriously, yes; I have drank a fair share of NA beer at get togethers. I've found that it actually does satisfy my urges. It's a dangerous game to play though, I've never slipped, but I easily see how you could. The taste versus the feeling.
Old 03-12-2008, 08:07 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

As I am now a non drinker...
I don't eat or drink anything with alcohol.

For me..that would be breaking my recovery.
Old 03-12-2008, 08:31 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
29a
God is my benzo

I pretty much agree with everyone thus far. For me, to drink na beer and hang out with people drinking would be an attempt to steal a little vicarious pleasure from others drinking. It's all about motives.
I have a close friend who relapsed after 4 years of sobriety. No one can point to exactly why a relapse occurs. But one of the things he points out is that he started drinking na beer at home.
If I drank na beer, i'm sure it would not be too long until I switched to the real deal.
russian roulette for this guy.
no thanks.
Old 03-12-2008, 08:46 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Retired Pro Drunk

I have a few NA beers from time to time. Haven't had any problems.

Others have problems with it. It's really a mixed bag.

IMO there's nothing wrong with wanting to feel normal.
Old 03-12-2008, 08:53 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

IMO there's nothing wrong with wanting to feel normal.
Funny thing, I feel perfectly normal not drinking. I view that as part of the miracle.
Old 03-12-2008, 09:19 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Location: Scottsdale, AZ, one big happy dysfunctional family!
I like to think of NA beer as "Denial In A Can", I can't drink safely so why drink something that has a small percentage of alcohol and only serves as a reminder of the real thing?

As Taz mentioned, there are so many great things to drink instead. I happen to like club soda with lime, green tea, juices, and there are thousands of soft drinks and other beverages that taste wonderful.

I don't drink alcohol anymore, so no thanks!
Old 03-12-2008, 09:37 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

An na beer to an alcoholic like myself would probably like a blow up doll would be for a sex addict, it could possibly make me want the real thing even more and I know where the real thing takes me and I do not want to walk through the gates of hell for a 3rd time, I may not be able to come back out.
Old 03-12-2008, 10:30 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
HADENOUGH23

Thank you all for your views on the NA brew. I see there's a lot of mixed feelings about it and I guess each person is different. For me, it kinda relaxes me and takes the urge of wanting to drink real beer away. Kinda wierd. Once I have one or 2 of them. I don't have the taste for it anymore and never even think of wanting the real thing.
I'm always going to be around people that drink unfortunately, and the NA beer actually helps. (I think) (I hope)
When I get the urge for the real thing, I grab one of these and it takes the urge away. Why?? I don't know. I t hink it's the whole habit thing and not the actual getting buzzed thing. I don't enjoy getting buzzed anymore. It wasn't fun anymore.
Old 03-12-2008, 10:50 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
One Day At A Time

Personally i cannot understand it - i just wouldnt risk it. But hey ho, if it works for some then so be it. Live and let live as they say at A..A!
Old 03-12-2008, 10:53 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Location: Scottsdale, AZ, one big happy dysfunctional family!
I dunno, I used to think I could drink it instead of the real stuff, and that it'd help me stop drinking. So I'd drink a few, then a few more, then a few more until my bladder was ready to explode. Then I'd have the craving for the real thing which of course I'd head off to the store to satisfy. Then it was off to the races again. Drinking NA beer never worked for me, it was just another way to delay the inevitable.
Old 03-12-2008, 11:08 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Don't get undies in a bunch

As I remember... O'dules

Well if that stuff tastes like real beer, I could see how it could be a good reminder why I wouldn't want a beer anyway.
O'dules tastes like dishwater as far as I am concerned.
Old 03-12-2008, 11:24 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Life the gift of recovery!

For me it is not worth the risk of starting the obsession again.
Old 03-12-2008, 11:25 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Hmm sober means sober. Drinking a so-called non alcoholic beer is like planning a relapse. May i suggest the 12 steps as a way to deal with cravings
Old 03-12-2008, 11:31 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Naturally Occuring Phenomenon

Hey, its all a can of magic.

To each their own & a successful happy life in recovery to everyone.
Old 03-12-2008, 01:17 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

My old sponser had a saying for times like this.
"DONT BE A DAMM FOOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"
Old 03-12-2008, 03:48 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

what's next, DIET CRACK?