Notices

Non-Alcoholic?

Old 03-12-2008, 05:24 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Don't get undies in a bunch

Originally Posted by NoMoBeer View Post
what's next, DIET CRACK?
Yes with half the buzz and twice the crappy feelings the next day.
Old 03-12-2008, 09:43 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

This topic DOES come up quite often. I don't drink it because the flavour/smell of beer reminds me of a very bad part of my life. I will never be able to enjoy a "drink" again now that I'm in recovery. I actually choose sparkling water when I'm at an event where others are drinking.
Old 03-13-2008, 02:39 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

I have heard in the rooms on more then one occasion, if you hang around a barber shop long enough you will wind up getting a hair cut, NA beer it seems to me would be similar to rubbing your head with the hair clippers not running.
Old 03-13-2008, 06:09 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  
29a
God is my benzo

In the United States, beverages containing up to 0.5% alcohol by volume (ABV) can be legally called non-alcoholic according to the Volstead Act. Due to the extremely low alchol content present in various brands of "NA"(non-alcoholic) beer, the sale to minors is legal in most states. A state must pass separate laws to ban the sale of "NA" beer to minors and it is not in the jurisdiction of the states liquor authority

It is not no alcohol beer, it is low alcohol beer.

You are drinking booze if you drink odoules, not my opinion, it's a fact
and that almost rhymed
Old 03-13-2008, 06:50 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

When a person decides to really recover from alcoholism, they discover what the real problem is. The problem is me, and my thinking. When I was young I had a lot of good characteristics, as my alcoholism progressed I turned these into character defects.
When I combined the two, I became a very unpleasant and unhappy individual.

My problem lies alot deeper than making a decision wether or not, to have an NA beer.
Old 03-13-2008, 07:23 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  
29a
God is my benzo

I agree that my problem is in my mind. It is also a physical problem, an "allergy" as described by the big book. My body does not react to alcohol as other mens do. When my body comes in contact with alcohol, the obsession of the mind will inevitably return.
Through the 12 steps, I can fix issue's with in my mind; resentments, fears, character defects etc. However the 12 steps cannot fix my body and how it reacts to alcohol, that is why I can never drink again, no matter how "sane" my mind becomes.

My body does not differentiate between the low amount of alcohol in odoules and the amount in a shot of bourban booze is booze to my body.
Old 03-13-2008, 11:16 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Ahh, the answer to your question is ahh - no.
Old 03-13-2008, 11:36 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Cool

Well, here I am with my minority opinion again.....On the rare occasion that I've felt the 'urge' for a different taste than the regular fare, I have been known to imbibe in a de-alcoholized malt beverage....NEVER the American ones, though; they taste as I imagine pee might taste.

How often do I have one of these? Well, let's see; every couple of years mebbe? Since I first started in recovery, I've had the occasional de-alcoholized drink.....never had a relapse; never had an urge for the 'real' thing either. I just drank them for what they were; a different taste. I guess an example of how often would be.....when I moved into this new apartment last Oct 1, I purchased a 6-pack of St Paulie NA.....here it is 6 months later and I still have all six.....they just sit in my frig.....

Soooooo.....is it 'playing with fire' or 'taking chances' with ones recovery.....? I guess so....if one believes that to begin with.....me, and most of my friends with double-digit sobriety time.....we don't believe this; and may imbibe every once in a great while.....but then again, we may not..... (o:

NoelleR
Old 03-13-2008, 12:08 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

How odd...Well...
have not met any person with double diget years of AA recovery
including myself....who drinks N?A beer.

If I did...I would change my sobriety date.
There just is no compromise room in my recovery.
Old 03-13-2008, 12:30 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  
Life the gift of recovery!

Originally Posted by CarolD View Post
How odd...Well...

Carol, I am in agreement with you 100% here. I too have never met anyone with greater than 10 years sobriety that drinks N?A beer or wine.

I prefer not to play with fire because even if it is just a match I can still get burned or cause a bigger fire that I can not control.
Old 03-13-2008, 12:49 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

How odd...Well...

I agree also. I have NEVER talked with anyone with 10 years or more that drinks NA beer.:wtf2
Old 03-13-2008, 01:59 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  
Lurker

As always I think one has to look at there motives. If one is trying to "steal" a little of the "good ole times" od there drinki ng career, or to try to fit in where the probably do not belong I would say NO!! In your case I think you are walking on thin ice. Better just to get something completely fresh.
Old 03-13-2008, 04:06 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

I guess I should have added to my original posting......yes, we have never 'met'.....nor have we ever 'spoken' .....but I have been sober since 23 June 1986.....that's double-digit....greater than 10 years.....

NoelleR

P.S. ....and, no, I am not changing my sobriety date.....thank God that's an individual thang
Old 03-13-2008, 07:03 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

How odd...Well...

Well Said Carol.

I wouldn't touch the stuff with a ten foot pole, booze almost took my life, it holds no charms for me anymore.
I would also be very careful about reassuring newbies that it is okay to drink the stuff.

Seren
Old 03-14-2008, 10:16 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  
29a
God is my benzo

booze is booze
Old 03-14-2008, 07:05 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  
Today's Muse

I think it would depend on the individual and their motives. Would I recommend it to someone new in recovery, no.
Old 03-14-2008, 07:46 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  

I don't like beer, in fact I don't even like the taste of alcohol. I only liked the effect. I wouldn't risk it for me. I guess it's a personal decision but of all the things I've read here and from all the meetings I've gone to it has never ended well. I take my lead from the alcoholic that has gone before me.