Notices

Why? What is the solution?

Old 03-11-2008, 11:36 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
29a
God is my benzo

actually i do, by pointing out how ridiculous it was, did you actually read my post or just quote it
Old 03-11-2008, 12:22 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Thank you very much I did read it.
Old 03-11-2008, 12:37 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Administrator

apparently not *sigh*

and that's every SECOND day with the billy goat, Taz...

D
Old 03-11-2008, 01:00 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Its_me_jen

Thanks for this thread nan. It's a great post.
Old 03-11-2008, 01:17 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

In '90 there was a survey taken by an official AA committee.
At that time the success rate of AA was 3%.

Several years later ...??? NIAA - CDC--???
came out with a comparison study
of all recovery programs...as well as admitted alcoholics
who had stopped drinking on thier own.
It was 5% across the board.

Perhaps the 7% spoken of is a newer study
I am unaware of.

I have never met anyone who was polled.

My recovery is 100% successful.
...I do hope yours is too!
Old 03-11-2008, 01:57 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

"...I was in a meeting the other day where several people mentioned an AA success rate of 7%. WTF? when was the aa census? how did i miss it. If I were new and I heard that in a meeting, why would I come back? this was bein shared by people who have been around for quite some time..."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Back when I first came into AA, the numbers ranging from 1%--10% successful recovery after one year were being bandied about.....and I CAME BACK, and kept coming back.....nothing can make a person use and nothing can make a person quit...... (o:

NoelleR

P.S. What I have noticed is that the 'negative' AA posts seem to come after an AAer posts in what could be perceived as an AA, the one and only way....AA....my way or the highway....I know that most of these folks don't really mean this.....while some do (I know; I was pummeled by them early on in my own recovery, including...u gotta do it this way or you're wrong, and will go back out....get God or get drunk, and the ever popular you're a relapse waiting to happen).....good grief....if a person is abstinent and happy with their life; they're sober.....who cares how they got there.....not moi.
Old 03-11-2008, 02:29 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

When I was new

Rest assured I cared about how the people who I saw that were sober and happy got there. I was lost and confused and ready to give up, roll over and die.

I care, I am sure I am not alone in this.

And

If I am to be of service to someone in need (this disease actually kills), I better be very clear about how I got where I am today, what I did, what I do, what it's based on - yeah, I am opinionated on this subject.

I followed precise directions laid out in the 1930's by a group of alcoholics who had solved the drink problem.
Old 03-11-2008, 04:08 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  
Administrator

wishing everyone a great day in recovery - however you got there, are getting there, will get there !

D
Old 03-12-2008, 04:34 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

Statistics!!!! Now there is a resentment!!!!

Okay here are the results of an internal AA survey taken in 2004 of 7,500 AA's in the US & Canada (I was still drunk at the time!)

Length of Sobriety

Sober more then 10 years 36%
Sober between 5-10 years 14%
Sober between 1-5 years 24%
Sober less than 1 year 26%

Average sobriety of members is more then eight years.

Now as with any survey this needs to be taken with a grain of salt:

What was the requirement to participate in the survey?
Where was it taken?

In my area I would agree with the survey if you throw out all of the court ordered folks and people who show up for less then 10 meetings.

The vast majority of court ordered folks I have seen come into the rooms fit into one of 2 catagories, either they were not alcoholics or they were not ready to quit drinking.

All programs work if the people who work them follow all the suggestions of the program they choose.
Old 03-16-2008, 06:41 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Cool

....an internal AA survey....? Sounds a wee bit self-serving to me, and taken with LESS than the proverbial grain of salt....

"...Statistics!!!! Now there is a resentment!!!!..." I would prefer to say, "Statistics???? Now that's a joke."

Especially when using %'s.....

Here's an example....." I go into an AA room; there are nine other folks there with 3 months sobriety each; I have 21 years; add that up, you get 24; divide that by 10, you get 2.4. ..... so in that room the average sobriety would be 2.4 years? I think not.....lol

I love numbers, and statistics, but I also know that you make numbers say anything you want.....Remember the Crest ads that said, "Four out of five dentists recommend Crest,"....? I would then like to ask the question, "How many dentists did it take to get those four to make that recommendation? ... They might have had to ask thousands of dentists to get just those four, and one more who recommended .... Colgate...? ... Remember, they said 'four out of five' NOT 'four out of EVERY five. ...... Gosh! Numbers (and words too) can be sooooo much fun.....

...and that's what life is like....fun; and so much more fun w/o the drugs 'n alcohol.....for me, and especially all my close friends.....hehehe

Have fun y'all.....

NoelleR