Notices

How long???

Old 03-10-2008, 06:06 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
HADENOUGH23

How long???

Hi,
I recently gave up drinking alcohol. 4 and 1/2 weeks to be exact. I only drank beer and never did I get "drunk" but I basically have been drinking for about 10 years, everyday,give or take. Weekdays, maybe 3 beers tops, but it was everyday. Weekends, on and off all day. I used it to deal w/my anxiety attacks and panic attacks but after a while was very dependent on it and felt it was making my symptoms worse. I decided to give it up when I recenlty got bronchitis and was on antibiotics and normally I would drink on medication but this time, I didn't. The first week was very very difficult and the 2nd hard too but then I started feeling much better.
My question is, I still seem to get symptoms of withdrawals and urges from time to time and it's very very had mentally to deal with. How long will that go on for???? Will it ever go away?
Old 03-10-2008, 06:12 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

It's different for everybody. I never had much of an urge after I stopped but some struggle even after years of sobriety.
Old 03-10-2008, 08:57 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

I will echo what Mike said, it varies from person to person and seems to also be tied to how hard one is working on changing them selfs, it seems to come quicker to those who work a program of some sort.
Old 03-10-2008, 09:44 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hadenough

Wow! You sound like a "copy and paste" of me! I found my usage to be a huge obstacle in my "first" recovery. After all, I wasn't drowning myself in 80 proof anything. I intellectualized and rationalized myself into another attempt at "normalcy."

And here I sit.

I am 24 days into it this time. I wouldn't characterize it as "easy," but I wouldn't say that I have physical "cravings," either. More like I just miss the drill. Controlling my emotions with that ice cold beer.

The difference this time is acceptance. That I am an alcoholic who is powerless to control once I start. It no longer matters that an amount that would be "breakfast" to others is sufficient to cripple me. Maybe it ain't fair, but it is nonetheless. There are worse things in life.

Might what I've described be what you are feeling/dealing with? I'm losing no sleep and I don't think about beer until it is "ritual time" after work or on the weekend. I can deal with it pretty easily. But, like you, I wish to hell it would go away.

warrens
Old 03-10-2008, 12:24 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Welcome to our Alcoholism Forum
Hadenough and warrens

Well done on your sober times!

If you were having panic attacks
anxiety issues before the drinking started

You may need medical advice on these
non related to alcohol usage.

That's what I am thinking...