Notices

Sugar crazy

Old 06-29-2003, 09:36 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Paused

There's no such thing as a useless post! I understand exactlly what you are saying, as an addict when I would quit one drug I would try and supplement it with a "weaker" drug. I guess the same can apply for getting sober just as well. Food, sex, gambling. These are things some of us supplement.

Daria-I would be interested!
Old 06-29-2003, 10:27 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Thanks for this thread, it got me thinking about this and I'd like to get back to my better eating habits.

I think I crave sugar because my diet is pretty bad. When I first got out of detox, I was having regular meals and eating a balanced diet, but now that I eat whatever I want whenever I feel like it, I've noticed the need for sugary food. From what I can remember, healthy eating will pretty much give a slower, more constant flow of energy. I didn't get the kick out of it that I get from sugar, but it lasted a lot longer.

But...I love chocolate now and I just don't know that I'm willing to give it up.

Amy
Old 06-29-2003, 11:04 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

I definitely hear ya about the hypoglycemia and diabetes, etc but here's my take on the situation and what my sponsor told me.

As long as you're working some kind of recovery program, if candy is what helps keep you off drugs then candy it is. It's a lot less damaging than drugs and alcohol. As long as you eventually taper off the candy, then I feel there is no harm in it.

I lived on candy and cigarettes for the first 6 months of my sobriety and I was a meth addict. This is where that phrase "take it easy" comes in handy. Right now the only thing that is important for someone who is new is to not pick up and go to meetings. Believe me, you'll have plenty of time to deal with the other issues, problems or substitute addictions. I have had an issue with just about everything since quitting using drugs and alcohol and little by little I dealt with it. You can't expect to give up everything at once or you'll overwhelm yourself and put your sobriety in jeopardy. That's why they say don't quit smoking in the first yr. One thing at a time. If I diodn't use today it's a good day and I have to give myself a break.
Old 06-29-2003, 11:48 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Lightbulb Hmmm

My recovery has given me the freedom to make intelligent informed choices based on medical advice.

Having a check up is a great start for a sober life...IMO
Old 06-30-2003, 07:00 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Paused

Sugar High

JORDAN - You start such amazing and intruiging threads !
I'll PM you ! Love abd Blessings - Daria