Notices

License

Old 02-27-2008, 02:54 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

License

Will be starting the process March 5 to get my drivers license back. It will take 6 to 8 weeks to get an appeal date. Lost license to a DUI and UBAC for those who did not know in 1998.

This is going to be sooo stressful. I have been in front of this hearing officer three times. He is a tough cookie. I can understand there side of it. But my life has been so different than what it was back then.

The hard part is, is these people at the hearing office do not know me. All they had to go on is what is in black an white on paper. The only positive is I know the addictions therapist that is going to do my assesment.

My first post here was because of the lawyer I hired. I am so glad he recommened it because you all have helped me with answers. This is the longest post I have ever writen.

Thanks Teresa
Old 02-27-2008, 03:08 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
not a greeter

I don't know what a UBAC is comet but I understand how the hearings could be stressful. I'm sure you've changed over the past 10 years and that will reflect in your demeanor. Just try and stay humble and confident.
Old 02-27-2008, 03:34 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

UBAC is unlawful blood alcohol content.

All three times I qualifyed for the interlock. But the cost of another car and the equipment was to much. Lawyer said it should not be to much of a problem. I might just worry to much.

Everything I have lost due to my drinking has been returned except my license. And I am working on that.
Old 02-27-2008, 04:07 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Good luck at the hearing... Just be honest with them, and keep up the faith, because I have faith in you.
Old 02-27-2008, 04:08 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Psalm 118:24

They make this as hard as they can to avoid the repeat offenders.

I've never had to go thur this ordeal thankfully. I'd get documentation of going to AA meetings.Also, letters from people in AA saying you're making meetings on a regular basis.
It seems to help around here.

Wish you the best of luck
Old 02-27-2008, 04:24 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Good luck Comet!
Old 02-27-2008, 04:55 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thank's everyone.

I know that re-offenders is why they are so tough. And I do not blame them at all. I waited three years to even apply because I did not trust myself. I told the hearing officer that if givin the chance to drive again. I feel I have a responsability to not re-offend. Because there are people that do recover and people behind me need a second chance.
Old 02-27-2008, 05:25 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Just wanted to add one more thing. I did drink and drive more than twice in my life. And just because I did not get caught all the other times does not make it right.
Old 02-27-2008, 05:34 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I found that when I was dealing with people who had control of my destiny that I couldn't be humble enough. Humble works better than anything else I have ever tried. Good Luck.
Old 02-27-2008, 05:38 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
In Repair

Humble Advice

Comet,

I'm still dealing with the Michigan courts also. When you go, lay off the caffine, take lots of deep breaths and turn it over to your HP. You'll be fine.

Best of Luck!
Old 02-27-2008, 05:50 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Thank's

Pretty soon I am going to be on a first name bases with these people. The Lawyer said he was going to be the one grilling me on this one. I have everything in order but tired of asking people to write letters for me over and over. I sure hope this is the last time. I will give up if it does not work this time. Been doing this for five years.
Old 02-27-2008, 09:31 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Say a prayer before you start. When you are granted privileges, (which I have a feeling you will) and can eventually drive again, show God your gratitude by giving a ride or two to another AA'er who needs a meeting.

I do my best to show God my gratitude through action. It keeps you humble.

I wish you not good luck, but God's will, and God speed!!!

Tom
Old 02-27-2008, 10:27 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Thank's Signal

One of my favorit things to do in life was to drive. Have always been into old cars. I used to spend my days taking people places. When I lost my license it took part of me away. Even sold a 51 Chevy 2 door because I was the only one that loved to drive it.

But I will pray before I go. Might be that I needed this in my life.
Old 02-27-2008, 11:00 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Gee, how many times did I drive after drinking??? Somehow, I was never stopped or hurt anyone, but I was sure lucky!

It seems like you have worked hard to change your life for the better, and at least for me, GOOD things started magically happening!

Prayers help, but so does all the things that you have done to get you where you are today! Do the best that you can do and be proud of who you are today!

Dave
Old 02-28-2008, 02:42 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

Lots of good advice, in my area we have a lawyer in the fellowship, he was the joke of the local courts back in his drinking days, he darn near got disbarred due to some of his court room shenanigans!!!

Today he is well respected by every judge and prosecutor in our area and does quite a bit of pro bono work for folks in the fellowship that have stayed sober and are in the program. When he is representing someone in a hearing to get thier license back his sobriety alone carries a lot of weight because they know he will not represent Pro Bono anyone he would not vouch for personally. He also brings in the persons sponsor as a character witness.

Every judge in our area is familiar with the program and knows that when "John Doe" is representing someone Pro Bono and thier sponosr testifies as a character witness that they are not hearing a bunch of BS, they are hearing testimony from people who today can be trusted.

Talk to your lawyer and ask if your sponsor might help as a character witness.
Old 02-28-2008, 03:44 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Good luck, Comet!
Old 02-28-2008, 05:21 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

How odd to read this...

I just turned in my license this week.
Blindness makes driving impossible.
I sold my car and quit driving 3 years ago.

I have had a license since '50
now I feel quite strange.
How weird!!..

Either way this works out for you
Teresa ....prayers for your peace of mind.
Old 02-28-2008, 07:55 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Good luck! I wish you the best. I will be getting my license back April 15 after losing it for 2 years. I know how much it will mean to get it back for me, so I can only imagine your situation.

Do they have you validate AA meetings, etc. I had to do that for several months plus turn in 5 affidavits from people who would vouch for me that I hadn't drank since my incident.

Let us know how it turns out for you!
Old 02-28-2008, 08:26 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Yes, every time I have give them what was requested. That is why I kept getting the restricted with the interlock. This is the first time I asked for help from a lawyer. I would have not had a problem with the interlock because I do not drink. It was the cost, extra car, insurance, have the interlock installed and $70 a month.

So, I called a lawyer and asked if it was possible. He said it was. 10 years pretty much speaks for itself.
Old 03-01-2008, 11:39 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Psalm 118:24

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by 1963comet View Post
Thank's everyone.

I know that re-offenders is why they are so tough. And I do not blame them at all. I waited three years to even apply because I did not trust myself. I told the hearing officer that if givin the chance to drive again. I feel I have a responsability to not re-offend. Because there are people that do recover and people behind me need a second chance.
I've taken a guy under my wing so to speak. We're going to go pick up a jeep he bought last week Sunday. He got his high risk insurance and his plates

Now, he's trying to get a work permit.

I'm as excited about this as he is.

I want you and everyone in recovery to turn your life around

That's how this all works, we pay it forward !!