Notices

Blackouts

Old 02-27-2008, 06:46 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Blackouts

do people do crazy things when they blackout? or are they acting as they normally do drunk yet they just have no recollection of it the next day?
Just curious.
Old 02-27-2008, 07:42 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

It all depends on the individaul, for me I simply would go on autopilot, acted perfectly normal yet having no recollection the next day what had happened the night before. Sometimes I would be drunk, sometimes I would not be drunk.

Some folks do go bonkers when they black out.
Old 02-27-2008, 07:52 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
where the light is

Well, based on places & situations I've woken up to and what I've been told...sometimes autopilot, sometimes completely insane. Wow, that's scary to read.
Old 02-27-2008, 07:57 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Retired Pro Drunk

Originally Posted by confused1234 View Post
do people do crazy things when they blackout?
Yes.

Originally Posted by confused1234 View Post
or are they acting as they normally do drunk yet they just have no recollection of it the next day?
Just curious.
Yes.

Anything is possible during a blackout.
Old 02-27-2008, 08:21 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

A family member woke up in jail one morning because he shot his best friend. She did not press charges because she knew he was in a black out. But the court put him in prison for 5 years.

It is scary to me because how can you control what you are doing if you are blacked out??? Spooky
Old 02-27-2008, 08:31 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Naturally Occuring Phenomenon

Black outs can be terribly dangerous. I've cut my arm with a butcher knife in a black out, thats about the worst I've done. When a person does bad things in a black out its called "turning to the darkside." I was once a member of "Team Blackout." I guess I still am, its the team I'm on @ a bar during trivia game night.
Old 02-27-2008, 08:41 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Psalm 118:24

brought me into AA

Alcohol and Long Term Memory

Various studies have proven links between general alcohol consumption and its effects on memory creation.[1] Particularly, these studies had shown that associations made between words and objects when intoxicated are less easily recalled than associations made when not intoxicated. Later blackout-specific studies have indicated that alcohol specifically impairs the brain's ability to take short-term memories and experiences and transfer them to long-term memory.[2] This was shown by the ability to recall associations made while intoxicated being affected over time; it is strongly indicated that memories can be easily recalled for 2-3 minutes before the permanent inability to recall them in the future.

[edit] Types of blackouts

Blackouts can generally be divided into two categories, "en bloc" blackouts, and "fragmentary" blackouts. En bloc blackouts are classified by the inability to later recall any memories from the intoxicated period, even when prompted. These blackouts are characterized also by the ability to easily recall things that have occurred within the last 2 minutes, yet inability to recall anything prior to this period. As such, a person experiencing an en bloc blackout may not appear to be doing so, as they can carry on conversations or even manage to accomplish difficult feats such as driving cars. It is difficult to determine the end of this type of blackout as sleep typically occurs before they end. [3] Fragmentary blackouts are characterized by the ability to recall certain events from an intoxicated period, yet be unaware that other memories are missing until reminded of the existence of these 'gaps' in memory. Research indicates that fragmentary blackouts are far more common than en bloc blackouts. [4]

[edit] Causes

Blackouts are quite often associated with the consumption of large amounts of alcohol, however surveys of drinkers who have experienced blackouts have indicated that blacking out is not directly related to the amount of alcohol consumed. Respondents reported they frequently recalled having "had drunk as much or more without memory loss," compared to instances of blacking out.[5] Subsequent research has indicated that blackouts are most likely caused by a rapid increase in a person's blood-alcohol concentration. One study, in particular, resulted in subjects being stratified easily into two groups, those who consumed alcohol very quickly, and blacked out, and those who did not black out by drinking alcohol slowly, despite being extremely intoxicated by the end of the study.[6] Hence, in order to prevent a blackout, alcohol should not be consumed in large gulps, and should most likely not be drunk on an empty stomach.

[edit] Predisposition to Blackouts

Research indicates that some users of alcohol, particularly those with a history of blackouts, are predisposed to experience blackouts more frequently than others.[7] One such study indicated a link between prenatal exposure to alcohol and vulnerability towards blackouts, in addition to the oft-cited link between this type of exposure and alcoholism.[8] Alternatively, another study has indicated that there appears to be a genetic predisposition towards blacking out, suggesting that some individuals are made to be susceptible to alcohol related amnesia.
Old 02-27-2008, 08:53 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Blackouts were extremly rare for me, no matter how much I was drinking. I don't think i blackedout more then three times in my life. I do remember my last blackout though which was about a year ago. When I woke up from the blackout my favorite shirt and the pants I was wearing because I spilled some substance on them that turned the spots wet with the substance white. I still don't know what the substance was, I think it was either bleach or a cleaning product, I don't know what happened to this day.
Old 02-27-2008, 09:18 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

ouch
Old 02-27-2008, 09:24 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Its_me_jen

I was either acting like a normal drunk-a$$ or a crazy-a$$ drunk. It was a roll of the dice. Either way, I was out of control.

I very rarely remembered anything. Two years later, things still come back to me in little flashes. It makes my stomach turn. Right now even, just thinking about it.

I'm lucky I'm alive.
Old 02-27-2008, 09:29 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Illegitimi Non Carborundum

I remember doing the time warp
Drinking those moments when
The blackness would hit me,
And the void would be calling
Let's do the time warp again
With a bit of a mind flip
You're into the time slip
And nothing can ever be the same
You're spaced out on sensation
Like you're under sedation
Let's do the time warp again
Not trying to romance it here...

I guess I was a highly functional drunk right up there until the very end. Its amazing what you can accomplish when you're walking around out cold. This brings "state-dependent learning" questions into issue, too. What's even more funny is when you start being able to recognize "blackout states" in your drinking buddies.

Blackouts... I'm not missing those! And yeah, they are scary. Its also sometimes referred to as "time travel" or "teleportation", (one second its midnight at the pub, the next second its noon in your bed).

I don't know sometimes which is worse... Waking up not remembering what happened and having to glean it all from everyone around you, (they all remember, and they all know that you don't). Or waking up, and after a few minutes, recalling something really bad that did happen, (yes, now that you remember the nightmare, it really was for real -- welcome back to life!). -shudder-

I personally have "woken up" driving down the road with the sun coming up and no clue where I was at. (So what do you do in a situation like that? Find a gas station, go use the bathroom to take stock of yourself, wash your face, buy something to drink -- good time to check the cash, if any, in your pocket -- fill up, look at the headline on the newspaper to check what day it is, ask the guy if you can use a map and please show me where we are right now? What time is it? If he asks where you're trying to get to, tell him truthfully wherever you live)

Anyway... Those "what about the car?" feelings were some of the worst. And to think that by the end there, I was doing that to myself about three or four times a week...

Seriously, what other activities do we do where we know ahead of time that we will have occurences of "running on automatic" and "lost time"? ... UFO chasing? ... General anethesia? ... Sleeping? ... What else? ... Amazing what we put ourselves through, and what we get used to dealing with.

I'm glad I don't have to go through any of that ever again.
Old 02-27-2008, 09:58 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
where the light is

Just wanted to add that the dangerous, hurtful, out of control behaviour would start well before I would actually black out. Yet, if by some stroke of luck I didn't black out (an increasingly rare occasion), I would often rationalize it as a 'successful' night out and 'proof' that I didn't have a serious drinking problem. Unbelievable.
Old 02-27-2008, 01:32 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Any one ever see the movie Weekend At Bernie's?

Friends and relatives would lug me from place to place just like in the movie.

Seemed funny at the time

The worst incident I can ever recall was coming to while driving the wrong way on the interstate. God must have had an Angel working over time on me !!
Old 02-27-2008, 01:39 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

I just got this information from another member
have not had time to check them out

However...please do if you are interested

Alcohol-induced blackouts

continuing with....:

Alcohol-induced blackouts

Alcohol-Induced blackouts may be genetic

I appreciate her sharing. on this topic
Old 02-27-2008, 01:44 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Always hated to hear people tell me what a great time I had last night !!
Old 02-27-2008, 04:59 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Illegitimi Non Carborundum

"Did you have fun last night?"

"Well... I can't remember most of it so, I guess I must have"...
Old 02-27-2008, 05:54 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

My last black out was spent driving around in my nighty, not pajamas but a little nighty with no underwear and bear feet. This happend last Friday night the last time I drank. It really scared me to think I would go out that way, there are so many terrible things that could have happend, but by the Grace of God didn't.
Old 02-27-2008, 06:56 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
problem with authority

time travel

I blacked out the first time I got drunk and continued to do so regularly for the next 20 years, so I guess I'm just one of those lucky people.

In blackouts, with no memory whatsoever, I have:
  • gotten back together with an ex
  • sent e-mails I don't remember sending that lead to the end of friendships
  • punched my best friend in the face
  • urinated in public (pants around my ankles) in front of a crowded dance club
  • assaulted a police officer

I'm sure there are others, but those are the ones that quickly come to mind.
Old 02-27-2008, 07:27 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
It`s ok to stay sober

I have no idea of what I did as I was in a blackout.

Sometimes others would be sure to tell me,so I would say my behaviour was un predictable.
Old 02-27-2008, 10:58 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Blackouts are scary. I started having them early in my serious drinking career. I used to be fasinated by them, in a grim sort of way. I used to like the feeling of losing all control. In the early days of my serious drinking, I thought it was "funny". I was told that I was a "fun" drunk.

Sometimes I'd simply go on "autopilot". Other time's I'd act weird and irrational. I'm told I did some unpredictable things. As I got older, and my drinkng progressed, my blackouts began to be scary. I never thought of myself as being a mean person, but I've been very mean to my wife during my blackouts.

My increased blackouts, and mean behaviour were a real sign to me that drinking was a problem in my life. I did some things I am truly ashamed of in blackouts, and I worried I would do more...all the while, I couldn't figure out how to "fix" my drinking problem.

It sure is nice not to have blackouts anymore. I sure don't miss the guilt, shame, anxiety, fear, and remorse I felt as a result. I'm very thankful to be sober today.
chip