SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Alcoholism (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/alcoholism/)
-   -   Hello everyone... (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/alcoholism/144765-hello-everyone.html)

Harleyrider 02-26-2008 05:10 PM

Hello everyone...

Just wanted to stop in and say hi to you all. I have posted in the biker recovery and Christian recovery forum and thought I might share some experience, strength and hope with you guys. I am a sobering recovering alcoholic with over 18 years of soberity. I could tell you guys all my horror stories but I think I wait until the time is right. For me staying sober is easy. Its my choice. I never think of taking that first drink again, or any other thoughts of alcohol. When I decided to stay sober all I did was surrender it all over to God. He took that away from me. If you chose to do it the way I did, He can do the same for you. I did start out in AA and went for a year. I was one of the lucky ones who didn't need AA to stay sober. I knew deep down in my heart that if I drank again I would either kill myself, kill someone else, or wind up in prison. So I hope that I can share some of myself with you guys. Take care,

HR:jail

1963comet 02-26-2008 05:20 PM

Hey Harley

18 years is good to hear. I have 7 years myself and would not change a thing.

Glad to see you here.

Harleyrider 02-26-2008 05:26 PM

Congrats on 7 yrs Comet. For me one thing I have learned throughout all these years is as time goes by it does get alittle easier. Don't you think?

best 02-26-2008 05:59 PM

Originally Posted by Harleyrider (Post 1687797)
I did start out in AA and went for a year. I was one of the lucky ones who didn't need AA to stay sober. I knew deep down in my heart that if I drank again I would either kill myself, kill someone else, or wind up in prison.

I never went to AA directly but when I was at that same point...
Of knowing... deep down in my heart that if I drank again I would either kill myself, kill someone else, or wind up in prison.

...It was a person from AA who shared the message of hope.
The hope shared and my fear of what would happen if I continued is what helped me find an alcohol free life.
It took another 20 years before I found a sober life though. Alcohol free did not mean sober.

1963comet 02-26-2008 06:05 PM

Yes, it is easy to not drink today. But the end of my drinking days was a nightmare. So, when I see booze today I think of nightmare instead of fun.

I have no desire to go back to that life. I love my life today.

sugarssweetpea 02-26-2008 07:03 PM

I agree. I have been sober for 6 years. No, actually, according to Best, I have been alcohol free for 6 years. I am currently on my way to being sober through working the steps through a celebrate recovery program & ridding myself of all of the bad, negative feelings & emotions, circumstances, whatever that caused me to self destruct on alcohol in the first place. Anyway, I digress. Any bad day that I have in this life that God has so graciously given me is better than any day drinking ever was. I do not miss it at all.

Harleyrider 02-26-2008 08:13 PM

I agree with you Best. Being alcohol free doesn't really mean being sober. Soberity is just living life on lifes terms without the use of alcohol.

Harleyrider 02-26-2008 08:18 PM

SweeTpea, I have been going to Celebrate Recovery for about 6 months now. To live life on lifes terms and according to the way Jesus would have us live, thats where I get my strength. Its not so much the alcohol anymore, its walking a straight path with the Lord and trying to be a better Christian and do whats right in the eyes of the Lord.

CarolD 02-26-2008 08:26 PM

Welcome to our SR Alcoholism Forum
:wave:

God ... AA and Carol have also
been victorious over alcohol for 18+ years.

Good to see you too have found your way.
Blessings

Sheryl85 02-26-2008 08:39 PM

Welcome. It's good to hear from you. Hope you care to share more in the future.

Tazman53 02-27-2008 03:54 AM

Welcome to SR Harley, there are a lot of folks who start out their walk in sobriety in AA and then move on to other ways, many of which involve turning it over, I found life in AA and the steps, I am early in my walk, I have a lot to learn, share away brother and thanks for sharing.

barb dwyer 02-27-2008 04:12 AM

Hey Herleyrider -

welcome to SR ... ever visited Butte?