Notices

Hi,

Old 02-26-2008, 07:46 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hi,

I have drank alcohol since I was 15, and now I am 44. The longest I have quit was 1 year. Unfortunetly, I started back and ever since then it has been so hard to stop. I do not drink daily like I use to, but maybe 3 times a week, but being in a marriage, having a 6 year old beautiful "princess", this is certainly wearing on my family life. I just cannnot seem to get the thought out of my head of what a failure I am. Half my life is over, and I do not want the last half to belong to "Al".
Old 02-26-2008, 08:05 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
1000 Post Club

Well I suggest AA then or some support groups, or be around here a while... cut back on the drinking, or try to keep it under control if it's not causing you any serious health/mental issues.
Old 02-26-2008, 08:20 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

You are not a failure until you give up hope. You would not have posted here if you had given up. That means there is hope.

I bet you are a great person with a great little "princess".... who looks up to you. I changed when my little princess turned 7... took me long enough. I was an idiot, but never a failure.

Each day brings a new pot full of possiblilites... what we do with the ingredients is up to us. Choose wisely and enjoy life.

I hope you feel better
Old 02-26-2008, 08:47 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

Welcome to SR Whitesunset, I started at about 11 or 12, I drank until I was 52 and was solidly in the grips of full blown alcoholism, I found a solution, but in order for it to work I had to be willing to go to any lengths to get and stay sober.

Every one has a different bottom, ones bottom is not determined by material goods lost, but just how much of our soul we are willing to allow alcohol to own before we finally say enough is enough, I have drank my fill!

There is hope and it is never to late, I have seen people recover from a far deeper bottom then mine and those with a far higher bottom then mine. Ones bottom is where one decides to stop digging thier hole, throws thier shovel away and starts to climb out.

It is never to late!!!!

There are those among us whose bottom is 6 foot under, sadly that is where the majority of us wind up, but not all of us.

Those of us who find our bottom in time become willing to do what ever it takes to get and stay sober.

Whitesunset are you willing willing to do what ever it takes to get and stay sober? If you are then I will be very happy to share with you the way I found out of that hole. The path is simple but not always easy, just keep in mind that you are no longer alone, there are an awful lot of folks who will help you along the way by sharing with you what they have done to get and stay sober.
Old 02-26-2008, 08:59 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

What to say hi and Welcome

I know what you are saying about your life being half over. I have been sober almost as long as my drinking days. And I tell you that my life has been great without drinking. And today I would not want to waste another minuet drinking.

So, I hope to see you here, it is sooooo worth it.
Old 02-26-2008, 09:06 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome whitesunset!
Old 02-26-2008, 09:18 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Location: Scottsdale, AZ, one big happy dysfunctional family!
Welcome to SR white sunset, I'm glad you've joined us here. I'm 44 also, a single father to two amazing kids who support me in my recovery. My story on these forums got a little garbled the last time the site crashed, but you can probably get the gist of it if you'd like to read it. We seem to have some similarities, maybe you can relate a little.......

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...o-s-story.html
Old 02-26-2008, 09:57 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Life the gift of recovery!

Welcome to SR.

If you are a failure for drinking then so is everyone here. Personally I have learned I am not a failure because I am an alcoholic. I have a disease not unlike a cancer that needed to be put into remission. That was something I could not do on my own. Just as a doctor's help would be needed to treat cancer I needed a program of recovery to treat my alcoholism.

You can quit and you can find a life of happiness and serenity in the process. I suggest trying a program of recovery. Here is a link to a list of many of the recovery programs available.
http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...-programs.html
Personally, AA was the program that worked for me.

Please keep us posted and let us know how you are doing. Take care and be kind to yourself. There is a way out of the mire and muck of alcoholism. All that you have to do is reach out for the help and follow directions.
Old 02-26-2008, 01:11 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Welcome!

I started to quit drinking at 48
finally succeeded at 53.

To stay in joy and my healthy lifestyle
I use God and AA.

Blessings to you and your family
Old 02-26-2008, 01:31 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

I agree that it is never too late.

Today can be the beginning of a new life for you and your daughter will benefit greatly.
Old 02-26-2008, 04:42 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I ceased to drink when I was 43, I am now 48, and my life could not be more different.

Sobriety and recovery are the best gifts you can give yourself and your loved ones.

I would say that since you are here, this is YOUR TIME to get sober!

This is a great place to be.

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...-programs.html

Seren
Old 02-26-2008, 04:48 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I drank from 15 to 33 stopping only while pregnant. I remained sober for 7 years after rehab. After that 7 years I thought I was older and wiser and could handle drinking. I was so wrong, after drinking again for 3 years I am feeling like a fool for ever picking up that first drink after being sober for so long. It was 10 years ago yesterday that I quit for that 7 years. Maybe this time it will stick.
Old 02-26-2008, 04:54 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Nothing worth having comes without commitment and effort on our part.

Find a program that works for you and work it with all your heart and soul.

You will never regret one day of sobriety.

Seren
Old 02-26-2008, 08:03 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR, whitesunset

You are not a loser. Someone once told me that I was never a bad father when I drank...but...I can be a BETTER Daddy if I'm sober.

I'll bet you are a very special and important person for your little princess. It sounds like it might be time for you to do something about your drinking. Have you considered AA? It works for millions of people like you and I.

You probably know this, but alcoholism is progressive. This means it always gets worse. You mentioned that you arn't drinking everyday, but you used to drink everyday. Forgive me if I'm wrong, but I'll bet you need to make an effort to only drink 3 days a week. I'd be surprised if you didn't go back to where you were, and possibly worse, if you keep drinking. Many people have this experience.

If you quit for a year, you probably had a good reason to do it. I'll bet you have some good reasons to quit again. Why not give it another try? It's not too late. You don't want your life to be ruled by the tyrant "Alcohol".

Alcohol is a great remover: it removes families, self esteem, jobs, vehicles, self respect, etc.... Alcoholism is a progressive disease that ends with death.

I dont' mean to preach to you here, but you have hope. Recovery is possible, and you can get better. You don't have to live like this. I remember trying to control my drinking...it was hell. Who wants to go through life with a constant obbsessive compulsive burden? I encourage you to get into SR, and look at some recovery options that may work for you.
chip