Notices

A Good Place to Talk

Old 03-29-2008, 07:06 AM
  # 61 (permalink)  
Kit

Thanks Carol,
It was a crisis for a time, but is in the process of resolving itself. So things are ok. It just made me realize how I depend on alcohol when things aren't going swimmingly, and we all know that life doesn't always go swimmingly. Therefore, I need something other than alcohol to turn to when I am distressed. Unfortunately, I found that the urge to drink was so strong and I reasoned that it was ok to drink under the circumstances. Luckily, I didn't do anything foolish, but still really regret drinking. My husband drank too, and he had been abstaining with me. He doesn't feel bad though. He just chalked it up to being stressed. He doesn't look at it the same way as I do because alcohol doesn't affect him the way it affects me. However, I really think he had/has a bigger problem than I do. The reason I think that is because the first few weeks of not drinking rendered him feeling like he had the flu or something. I, on the other hand felt great. Our doctor said that my husband maintains a certain level of alcohol in his system at all times, therefore, the reaction when he stopped was physical. I didn't drink as much as him, but it really affected my behavior and memory. He drank more, but can handle booze, in the behavior sense, so it wasn't as apparent to him or anybody else. Do you know what I mean?

Love, Kit
Old 03-29-2008, 10:07 AM
  # 62 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Perhaps the difference is you binge drank
whereas he does maintance drinking.
Just guessing tho...

As you know...the point is that drinking harms everyone
the brain cells and all organs are affected to some degree

Good to know your situation is smoothing out.
Old 03-31-2008, 12:59 PM
  # 63 (permalink)  
garden variety alcoholic

Hi Kit, I've been reading you posts in this thread. I'm glad that you didn't get in to a lot of trouble when you went out.

But think about this: What would it be like if I wasn't avoiding my past, trying to forget those awkward situations, the embarrassing things I did, what if my experiences could help someone else? what if they became my greatest asset?

I too was fearful of going to meetings, for many reasons. I suffered a lot because of it. Today I can't imagine my life without them or my friends in the program. It is by no means all of my life or all I identify with, but a very important part of who I am.

I think you will find what the rest of us have!