Notices

Alcoholism and muscle cramps?

Old 02-20-2008, 03:37 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Alcoholism and muscle cramps?

Does anyone know if there's any connection? For the last little, I have been getting the oddest cramps. Got out of bed the other night for a pee, and my calf cramped up so bad that I yelled out in agony. A few times, I've had cramps that "glue" my thumb against my forefinger so hard that I have to pull it apart with the other hand.
And just now I was re-tying the hair-band on my ponytail (yes, I'm one of those old hippie burnouts - LOL) and my bicep cramped up pretty good.

What's that all about, I wonder?
Old 02-20-2008, 03:54 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
No more merlot, more mamma

Hi..glad to see you back!

I AM NOT A DOCTOR NOR DO I PLAY ONE ON TV.

Alcoholics usually don't eat well, and usually have vitamin deficiencies. Muscle cramps are a sign of low potassium.

I'd eat foods high in potassium like bananas. OH, and stop drinking.
Old 02-20-2008, 04:22 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks, my doc mentioned bananas last year, too.

And I start re-taking "Relapse Prevention" next week, at our regional Mental Health Unit.
Pretty much starting over, but wish me luck.
Old 02-20-2008, 04:30 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Adjusting my Sails

Thank you for sharing TenPacks. I have had the thumb glued to the palm thing myself. It is as merlotmamma said I have been eating a banana a day for well over a year now. No more painful cramps. Dehydration often accompany's cramps. It hasn't killed me yet and again as merlotmamma said stop drinking alcohol is an excellent idea.
Old 02-20-2008, 05:21 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

That it is mm
also a lot of water stay hydrated at all costs, believe it or not your water ( depending on your location) has potassiem in it
Old 02-20-2008, 05:27 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Don't bother with supplements just now.
Alcohol prevents their effectiveness.

After you finally quit....
there are vitamins to aid your healing.

Good luck you must be exhausted.
Old 02-20-2008, 05:41 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I too noticed muscle cramps and spasms while drinking. The cramps have stopped since I quit a few weeks ago, and the spasms are decreasing in frequency. From my limited experience, it does get better!

Also, a question for folks - as far as nutrition goes, is it a bad idea to take a multivitamin after punishing our livers for so long? I've been hesitant to start taking one, instead sticking to veggies and fruit, but would like to start one if it will aid recovery.
Old 02-20-2008, 06:39 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
problem with authority

muscle cramps

You reminded me of another thing to be grateful for, and one that I had forgotten about. I used to get muscle cramps all the time when I was drinking, and now even though my diet is not ideal (too much meat and potatoes and too much caffeine), I have very few cramps and generally feel sound of body if not mind.

I am not a doctor, but I'm told one multi-vitamin taken with food is generally a good idea. Be careful of other supplements, though, as I went a little crazy with the b-complex after reading that alcoholics tend to be deficient in those, and some of that **** has way more of particular vitamins than you need. Like a b-50 pill has 200% RDA of B-6, while the b-100 bill has like 6,666% RDA of B-6. Makes no sense, and some of that stuff has overdose effects that are not cute.
Old 02-20-2008, 06:49 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Philippines/Canada

Hey!!!...........i just realized i don't get cramps anymore, i never associated it with my drinking before. I used to get killer ones that would actually strain the muscle so it would hurt for days.
Old 02-20-2008, 06:53 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

I take my daily multi with breakfast.
Been doing that since 1 week sober.
I use a generic Wal-Mart one.
No problems.

However..my liver enzymes were not
an issue when I quit,

As always...check with your doctor for specifics.
Old 02-20-2008, 07:15 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

FYI...other good sources of potassium are potatoes and orange juice. Lack of magnesium (very common with alcoholics) can also cause muscle cramps. The only thing I can think of off the top of my head with magnesium is chocolate

This isn't a medical opinion....just a recovering nurse who suffers from muscle cramps when I don't eat properly.

Hugs and prayers!

Amy
Old 02-20-2008, 07:37 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I’m sorry to hear about your condition and I do hope it improves.

Tuesday night I talked with a man who had cramps and some odd loss of muscle control. He didn’t go to the ER and more or less thought it would go away. He ended up having some sort of stoke.

It’s taken him years to regain control of parts of his body. He said all he would have had to do was go to the ER they would have given him some sort of a shot and he would have been fine. Drugs and alcohol have played havoc on my nervous system and body. If something is bothering me I don’t hesitate to go to the ER or at least follow up with a trained physician.
Old 02-20-2008, 07:47 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
No more merlot, more mamma

Tenpacks,

Glad that you are starting again...welcome back.

Karen
Old 02-21-2008, 04:35 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

Tenpacks be willing to do what ever it takes to stay sober. When you go to the relapse prevention course I can assure you that they are going to flat out tell you that you need to get into a long term recovery program of some sort.

Re-habs & Detoxs are only a starting point, they are far from a cure, relapse prevention is the same deal, every single one of them is going to tell you to get into a long term recovery program if you do not want to drink again.

In regards to the cramps..... well as long as you keep drinking nothing is really going to help! Once you quit drinking a multivitamin along with a sensible diet, B-Complex vitamin, and a banana or 2 a day will take care of those cramps and a lot of other things.

Do not over do the vitamins as FightingIrish said, you can have to much of a good thing, ODing on vitamin A can actually kill you!

Oh yea, see a doctor!
Old 02-21-2008, 10:45 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

O yes I remember my legs cramping up after a night of "controlled" (12-24 beers) drinking. It's a sign of dehydration.
Old 02-22-2008, 08:18 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

O yes I remember my legs cramping up after a night of "controlled" (12-24 beers) drinking.
Tib I almost spit coffee on the screen when I read that, reminds me to well of my own "Controlled drinking'!!! LOL
Old 10-07-2013, 10:37 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by StayinAlive View Post
Hey!!!...........i just realized i don't get cramps anymore, i never associated it with my drinking before. I used to get killer ones that would actually strain the muscle so it would hurt for days.

I have had a similar problem, I developed cramps in my right leg next day after drinking and it became worse as i kept drinking in the next few days and there was time I was unable to walk. I got the tests but nothing helped.
I recovered after high dose of vitamins and continuous exercise.

I have noticed whenever I drink (on weekends) the problem seems to come back so I take vitamin C to Lubricate the muscle and start the exercise and it goes away.
Old 10-07-2013, 10:40 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Hi Tenpacks, I had legcramps in early recovery. My friend told me to eat bananas. It helped. If it is severe, I would ask the doctor. Might be a vitamin/mineral deficiency. Best to you.
Old 10-08-2013, 12:42 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I take a potent multi vitiman .

But I had cramps ,and general aches and pains ,while on my drinking .

It was normally 12 beers a day ,No way you can do that and not feel BAD .
Old 10-09-2013, 08:14 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Yes. Cramps come with drinking a lot. Also neck and shoulder pain accompany me.