Notices

I'm an Alcoholic?

Old 02-19-2008, 08:22 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I'm an Alcoholic?

Well, hi.

I’m not new here, but I haven’t posted in years. I used to post about my husbands drug and alcohol problem in friends and family. There were many hospitalizations, rehabs, abuse, denial…You know how it is. But I didn’t have a problem. Well, maybe I DID drink too much on the weekends. And maybe I did do some embarrassing and pathetic things…The cure for that was to curl up in a ball and cry and sleep the remorse away the next day. And maybe I did have black outs more often than not. Still – that pales in comparison to what was going on with my husband. HE was the mess. He was an addict and alcoholic both! I just drank too much. I still had a good job, friends, and cleaned up all his messes. He was the reason I drank, right? I deserved it. I worked very hard. Drinking was fun! Never mind that my own mother wasn’t speaking to me. HE was probably the reason for that, right? No.

It’s funny how we fool ourselves, isn’t it?

My husband attempted suicide 3 months ago because of his addictions. He broke his neck and both hands. While he was in the hospital, I took a good long look at what was happening to me. I thought about going to the liquor store. After all – I just suffered a tremendous shock! I should have a drink! Or ten. Then I thought: what good is that really going to do for me? It will just make everything worse. I will be of no good to myself, my husband, my family.

AA helps both me and my husband now. (I NEVER thought I would say that). I’ve been sober since December 22, 2007. I know I am serious about my recovery. I hope he is too. I can say for certain that the past three sober months have been better for our marriage than the past 6 years.

(And I quit smoking, too!)
Old 02-19-2008, 08:30 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

Charlotte let me congradulate you!!!! Excellent job, you would be amazed at howm many folks make the leap from Alanon to AA, you are not alone. We have a couple in our home group with a similar story to yours, her husband has well over a year now and she is close to a year.
Old 02-19-2008, 09:44 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Life the gift of recovery!

Welcome back to SR!:ghug2

Double winners are what people who win through both programs are called. Good to see you are winner also. Keep up the good work.
Old 02-19-2008, 09:52 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Congratulations to both of you!

Welcome back!
Old 02-19-2008, 10:04 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
'55 Classic

:ghug2Welcome home. We've been waiting for you...
Old 02-19-2008, 01:57 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Naturally Occuring Phenomenon

good job char. Oh, denial and drinking go hand in hand. I never had denial (ha) and always claimed I was alcoholic.
Old 02-20-2008, 12:55 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Grats! And kudos to you for quitting the tobacco as well.
Old 02-20-2008, 12:59 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Its_me_jen

Welcome back Charlotte. Congrats!
Old 02-20-2008, 01:21 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Congratz. Success and recognition is obtained and maintained daily. Use the tools AA shows you and you will find a new freedom and new happiness.

Tom
Old 02-20-2008, 03:25 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Psalm 118:24

Having both of you in recovery can be a God send. You both know what you're going thru. You can get windshield time going to and from meetings. Probably, it'll be good if, you can go to a meeting apart time and again.
Old 02-21-2008, 06:42 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by CAPTAINZING2000 View Post
Having both of you in recovery can be a God send. You both know what you're going thru. You can get windshield time going to and from meetings. Probably, it'll be good if, you can go to a meeting apart time and again.
What's windshield time? Talking about the meeting in the car?

I do like going to meetings with him, but I agree that we should check out other meetings separately. I think we are the only couple in the group we currently go to.

Thanks for all the kind words everyone!
Old 02-21-2008, 11:47 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Congratulations Charlotte. What a story!! We all have to hit our bottoms before we realize what is needed. Keep it up!!

Dave