new girl

Old 02-13-2008, 11:13 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

You are on the right path!
Now you got a little work to do.
Old 02-13-2008, 11:56 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by sugErspun View Post
It was an 'Alano' club right??? They probably have meetings at all time of the day.
I don't know what alano is? They have 3 mettings a day but I think you can just go and hang out.
Old 02-13-2008, 12:07 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Yes...Alano Clubs are usually quite interesting.
It sounds as tho you found a good one Sunny.

I'm realy tickled for you!
Congratulations on being brave and willing!
Old 02-13-2008, 12:24 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

What is the difference between Alano and AA? I found the place by calling my local AA.
Old 02-13-2008, 01:28 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Alano clubs are gathering places for 12 steps groups - usually AA and Alanon.

The AA name can't be used though...(worry about that stuff later)

Glad you enjoyed the meeting.
Old 02-13-2008, 02:15 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by sugErspun View Post
Alano clubs are gathering places for 12 steps groups - usually AA and Alanon.

The AA name can't be used though...(worry about that stuff later)

Glad you enjoyed the meeting.

Thank you. Just making sure I was actually at an AA meeting, lol.
Old 02-13-2008, 02:18 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

I was President of our local Alano for 3 years.
Think of clubs as the business end of AA.

They regester with the state as a non profit organization.
They can own property which AA groups can not.
They keep the meeting hall clean and properly running.
They provide supplies and can pay a staff to manage.
They help new groups get established by not chargeing rent
for a specified time.
They do rent the space for meetings...
often a % of the AA basket contributions.

This may not be true for all clubs
That's how we run ours....
Old 02-13-2008, 02:30 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

sunny, just say'n hi!

that group of drunks people been talking about!

i'm one of um...

dang grateful for that sunny!

someone around here keeps saying... follow directions!

good suggestion...

be shure the ones you follow on the sugestions, knows what their talking about...lol

good wishes sunny
Old 02-14-2008, 04:01 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

Sunny you have officially made me envious!!! LOL You are so lucky to have an Alano club in your area, we keep talking about starting one where I am at but it never seems to go any further then a lot of talk!

I am glad you were comfortable, and I have to say I am impressed that you introduced yourself as an alcoholic at your first meeting!!! Some folks take a long time to simply introduce them selfs little lone introduce them selfs as an alcoholic. No big deal if you don't, always remember rule #62....... there are no rules, important life saving suggestions, but no rules. The only requirement for memebership is a desire to stop drinking.

Now that you know where it is at try getting there about 15 minutes before the meeting, I am sure the coffee person would like a little help or company.

I am sure you heard some things said that you didn't quit get, do not worry about it, ask someone after the meeting, remember everyone of us will always remember our first meeting, as with anything else in life the only dumb question is the one not asked.
Old 02-14-2008, 07:47 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Tazman53 View Post
Sunny you have officially made me envious!!! LOL You are so lucky to have an Alano club in your area, we keep talking about starting one where I am at but it never seems to go any further then a lot of talk!

I am glad you were comfortable, and I have to say I am impressed that you introduced yourself as an alcoholic at your first meeting!!! Some folks take a long time to simply introduce them selfs little lone introduce them selfs as an alcoholic. No big deal if you don't, always remember rule #62....... there are no rules, important life saving suggestions, but no rules. The only requirement for memebership is a desire to stop drinking.

Now that you know where it is at try getting there about 15 minutes before the meeting, I am sure the coffee person would like a little help or company.

I am sure you heard some things said that you didn't quit get, do not worry about it, ask someone after the meeting, remember everyone of us will always remember our first meeting, as with anything else in life the only dumb question is the one not asked.

Wow, I had no idea what an Alano club was and I actually have 2 in my area so I guess I am lucky. I didn't mind introducing myself as an alcoholic, I've known that I am one for some time- It was introducing myself at all that was scary. I am pretty shy and speaking at all if front of a group like that is terrifying. Now if I could just have a drink or two before hand I'd be the life of the AA meeting, lol. Guess that would be pretty pointless though, huh?

All of the women gave me their phone numbers and everyone was so welcoming. The man running the meeting said all of the women there yesterday were fairly new to sobriety but he named several women that he wanted to introduce me to who could help me figure things out. I'll go back today and maybe one of them will be there.

I felt a little lost but it was a nice feeling knowing everyone was in the same boat and have been where I've been. So I got my little silver chip and feel ridiclously excited to get the red one.
Old 02-14-2008, 08:13 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

Sunny one thing I will tell you about the ladies that gave you their phone numbers, that was not for show, they want you to call them!!! You see every time you call someone in the program even if it is just to say "Hi, how you doing?" you are not only helping your self stay sober, you are helping them stay sober. You calling them says "I am glad you are there!", that helps, being useful to a fellow alcoholic is a very rewarding feeling.

Feeling lost is normal, I was hearing things I had never heard before and meeting people I had never met before. Within in a week I was making friends and lots of aquaintances. I was slowly starting to understand what the program was about and what the fellowship was about.

Keep in mind that those folks in AA need you just as much as you need them.

I need you more then you need me.
Old 02-16-2008, 06:16 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

One other thought that I would like to suggest is to see if you or your husband has a benefit through your employer called an Employee Assistance Plan (EAP).

It is free and confidential short-term counseling that is contracted out to a local company.

Some one-on-one talk with a professional may also be useful. In my case, once I stopped drinking (running away from my problems), I found I had to deal with some underlying issues.

Dave
Old 02-16-2008, 09:17 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  
Anxiety King

Originally Posted by David 1 View Post
One other thought that I would like to suggest is to see if you or your husband has a benefit through your employer called an Employee Assistance Plan (EAP).

It is free and confidential short-term counseling that is contracted out to a local company.

Some one-on-one talk with a professional may also be useful. In my case, once I stopped drinking (running away from my problems), I found I had to deal with some underlying issues.

Dave

I second this! I'm currently using the EAP program at my work to work on the underlying issues/problems now that I've stopped drinking. It's been a tremendous help.
Old 02-16-2008, 07:01 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Hi guys!

I thought I was so there but I drank night before last and I'm drinking now. I get cocky too quick. I'll go to a meeting on Tues. I swear I am going to get this!

ETA- I did go 2 nights over all.
Old 02-16-2008, 07:35 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Many of us had false starts before
we found solid sobriety.

Good to know you are going to restart your journey.